Computer installation

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Computer installation

Post by fraz »

Hi,

Just thought I'd leave something here in the form of tips for when installation goes wrong. I don't really need to write this but it could be useful for someone who like me is not a computer genius - :)

So, I've been putting operating systems on a disk or two for basic installations of Scope or what ever and the idea is that when a system is stable it should be so all the time.

What I've found is the drivers on the CD/DVD can be a bit older and there has been situations where the install is complete and I'm ready to backup / clone the system (for future problems) and then I shut the system down completely for a minute then reboot (not a re-start) - and the system won't re-start - windows recovery kicks in - and then if I'm lucky the system will re-boot but I may have to re-install the drivers all over again because the recovery takes me all the way back to the beginning (unlucky)

So I regret not having installed the latest INF chipset and management engine interface (MEI) - some builds have been made good by this.

Other problems is the USB-3 - Where the included driver on most disks (X99/Z97) can be USB-3 version 3.xx.xx - sometimes this works best and i've made a mistake of installing usb-3 version 5 or 4 and a problem occurs - sometimes it's the other way around where a newer version of usb 3 can get a better result.

It's a bit of trial an error or alot of trial and error.....

Asmedia USB 3 / 3.1 can cause problems as well sometimes

Macrium Reflect is a great backup program as well - is free -----too and useful available in x32 / x64

Anyhow hopefully there is some useful tips here for anyone having trouble installing
fraz

Re: Computer installation

Post by fraz »

OK-just to elaborate on this.

As the number of system builds grows so do the experiences of those installations.

What I've found over a number of the builds is that once all the drivers are on and some basic apps are installed it is still quite bare bones install eg no Scope or other DAW software.

From this point I'd do a clone of the system and just when I think it's all good to go for clone backup I'll switch the system off for a while before coming back to do the clone.

But when booting the system I'd get a message windows failed to boot please enter recovery to restore your settings.

At this point I'm not happy because the system was good to go >>> well not quite it seems.

This has occured numerous times and means windows is restored to an earlier time and some items need re-installing - not good!

What I've tried on this build is to install the chipset INF & management engine after all the basic items are on and if prompted to choose a repair I'll choose "repair" - The chipset usually installs and the MEI gets a repair.

This has worked on this last build......and with so many re-runs I'm confident ish this may be part of the problem I've encountered - I only write this in case it's helpul. If not OK - :)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Damn ! I don't know where all your issues came from !

When I do a fresh W10 install, just after, I search all latest drivers of the mobo and the graphic card, then I install ALL the rest (This part is the interminable one), then I make a nice backup. I use AOMEI backupper which allows to add what has changed since last backup on the backup file.

I never had such issues ! Thanks lord !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
fraz

Post by fraz »

Ah I was installing Windows 7 64 bit on this install - maybe this has something to do with it

I've done one or two Win 10 installs but mainly Win 7 at the moment - I think some files get overwritten.

You mention AOMEI for backup - I've not heard of this I'll look it up
fraz

Post by fraz »

Well a few installs later and ....... Windows 10 is less trouble than Windows 7 for the install overall -Typical
valis

Post by valis »

Win7 itself doesn't properly support certain modern CPU's without update patches, and many drivers are immature when launched. Meaning they pass QA in a small testbed of machines internally, but were not yet vetted with the large public. Hence the need to download current / recent stable versions to achieve stability for an older machine. I don't even want to think about trying something as esoteric as a ThreadRipper platform running XP... I'm fairly sure a good portion of what's on offer on that hardware would be completely unseen by the OS, no matter what you did to force driver installs.