Asus Crossblade Ranger

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Asus Crossblade Ranger

Post by fraz »

Hi,

AMD socket FM2+ - Asus Crossblade Ranger - A problem with AI Suite III - dip4.dll (error)

Most of the APP works - but part of it does not - I'm a bit miffed with this as it's an ROG board (lowest level) - built really well for a lower end motherboard.

Right now I've just gone with a basic install - eg - just the drivers and no apps apart from what's included with Realtek audio.

If nobody knows don't worry, just thought I'd mention this in case someone knows how to fix this.

I'll look to a monitoring APP like AIDA64 or.........

HW Info works on 32 bit but not 64 bit
valis

Re: Asus Crossblade Ranger

Post by valis »

Try the following fourms: Johnny Guru, guru3d (less likely for general hardware but sometimes has a hit and has very knowledgeable users), anandtech/tomshardware and of course reddit.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Yeah OK I get your point.

I've done enough tests and have done away with this aspect - many users on various boards have some problem with this - I tried on Windows 10 as well with NO RESULT so conclude Asus hadn't tested enough on this board - I could be wrong but it is Asus who make the board etc.....

So I've gone for a driver only install with the only app the Realtek Audio - Also added a hardware monitor 3rd party app.

I don't have too much time to try to make something work that should work straight away - I do waste too much time on stuff like this but I'm trying to cut losses more quickly.

So I can use this board with no problems (hopefully)
valis

Post by valis »

fraz, just a note that I was directing you towards potentially more informative resources. No need for me to score points here and if anyone DOES have an answer, they are certainly free to respond, as always. :)
fraz

Post by fraz »

valis wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:07 pm fraz, just a note that I was directing you towards potentially more informative resources. No need for me to score points here and if anyone DOES have an answer, they are certainly free to respond, as always. :)
Yes I understand - :)

It's actually quite common among the Asus motherboards - AI Suite is featured on pretty much all the Asus motherboards and it doesn't work on all Asus motherboards - So what I do is install it and if any graphics are incomplete it gets un-installed.

After having dealt with more motherboards now the MSI apps seem more stable over their motherboards.

Now I've worked out more there is less fluster if something doesn't work as it should.

AsRock have less apps with their boards and are more basic looking but they function without problems (usually)

Gigabyte seem to have lots of apps (more than needed) are pretty basic looking and most of them work on most boards (but not all)
valis

Post by valis »

And here I sit, supermicro as always. No apps, little OC'ing potential, lots of fake news about chips being added in China and yet every board I have from them dating back to 1996 still boots & works, rock solid!

Though I will admit I scored an alienware R7 Aurora from doing an Intel VR TV commercial last year (I did the 3d & camera tracking) and that's what this is being typed on. 8700K/GTX1080 & all the gaudy case & lighting one could ever want.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Ah Supermicro, I did speak to them and was considering one of their boards but never did get one !!! - I've heard they are very good. There was another industrial board that DAWMAN was talking about (forgot the name) which was for the Coffee Lake CPU's and XEON E processors equivalent to the 8700K - and decided against that as well.

Yes that Alienware R7 PC case looks really good and complete with a GTX 1080 Ti ? - I was considering an Alienware monitor but ended up with LG / Samsung etc.......it's not possible to have everything !!!

I tend to favor the commercial boards Z97/Z170/Z270 - X99 / X299 - The most industrial / workstation board I've got is the Asus X99-E WS - Which is a great board, quite plain - but good

Some other boards are more gamer /bling oriented - but are good for a number of things potentially for playing games / using on Scope or other audio cards and maybe even using as workstation class machines if need be.

Do you use the Alienware on Scope? -
valis

Post by valis »

15-20 years ago, non supermicro boards died quickly and upgrade cycles we so fast that people didn't care. Now that gaming machines will last 4-7 years, most boards are up to snuff as well. And RMA's aren't nearly as painful as they were 15 years ago.

And no, the Scope has a low end Komplete Audio 6 attached and some tools installed, but I use it primary for visual tasks and some light gaming. It does a great job at running Resolume 6 (I have another AMD box for this as well), Touchdesigner 099, Notch, SMode and outputting the results of that either via NDE (newtek's network video protocol) or OBS to restream.io (simulcast on Youtube & Twitch).

On that note, since the beginning of the year I've been helping a local company that does online video modelling products for neurodivergent issues (Autism, Downs Syndrome etc) with their marketing and that might take up the bulk of the time for a while. Less visual tasks, more business and marketing / brand image. But worthwhile imo.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Yes, different machines for different tasks - and you've mentioned another couple of apps I've not even heard of (thanks)_

On RMA, I've dealt with Gigabyte for two boards to have a new socket for used boards that had bent pins -very smooth process -the only potential snag is the need to use MS EXCEL (office software) to load the Gigabyte standard RMA form (which if it isn't used every day)_or ever_if a hoop to jump through...but the process went very well on two occasions....

I damaged an MSI Z97 board front panel USB 3 by mistake which could be RMA's possibly or just left (?)-

A good test for boards lifespan is an Asus Z97-AR with 4790 K - that is running 24/7 -