Z170 build with 7700 K

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Z170 build with 7700 K

Post by fraz »

Hello,

Happy christmas etc..........now that's out of the way I'd like some feedback on the following build and some problems - some have been overcome.

OK-I built the machine -installed Windows 7 32 bit as this is for Scope PCI / Xite-The initial install went well - and all the windows updates went really well, no problems at all or so I thought.

The motherboard is the MSI Z170A-M3 Gaming

When the machine was running a banner would appear every now and then stating my CPU was being run on unsupported hardware / operating system and I should upgrade to Windows 10 (of course I've got some versions of Windows 10 32 & 64 so there is really no need) :)

At the time I thought nothing of it but the system ran really slowly - gee a ball ache - :x

At the end of the day I searched this on Google and found another user on ROG Asus forum who had the same problem a year ago and strongly suggested everybody's favorite OS provider had "nobbled" the 7700K on Windows 7 with the updates.

7700K has integrated graphics HD630 and Realtek HD audio - which both installed with the Windows 7 updates - which are intended for Windows 10 -that is the HD630 and Realtek HD audio - this is info for what is next.

>>>>>>> I did a fresh install of Windows 7 and disabled updates immediately - then installed the drivers of the CD/DVD - then added one or two drivers from MSI update online (but did not need to do this).

The bottom line is the system is quicker but the HD630 graphics and Realtek audio are not present in the device manager - So I conclude that due to ZERO windows updates these devices are not available.

For Scope this isn't so important - as another sound card (Creative could be added if needed) - and a GPU can be added as I did.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I recommend the nVidia GT710 2GB as a bacon saver!!!! and is not too pricey and is low profile
So the 7700 K works on the Z170 - minus one or two devices - which could work possibly with more tweaking........
Also I recommend ----Noctura NH-L9i or NH-L9x65 (Intel) - I used the NH-L9i as the STOCK INTEL FAN was making me annooyed to install/un-install and the plastic bits bend then it won't go back into the bloody socket ---- :x - but the Noctura attaches via screws behind the motherboard to secure it

I'll post a bit more after I've looked over the system a bit more ------

>>>>>I'll still need to check the system but I would like some advice on which specific Windows services can be shutdown (I'm talking about the startup services) some are needed but many may not be so advice here please - thank you ----- :)
fraz

Re: Z170 build with 7700 K

Post by fraz »

Yes, just had another look over the basic install of this system - and without updates - with just the basic drivers installed the system works alot better from the brief use of it navigating around the screens.

Not too much of an issue with no IGP / Realtek Audio - (not supported)-maybe earlier version would be - BUT....with discreet GPU & basic Creative Audigy the system is a good start point for Scope / Xite 32 with full use of ALL SCOPE DEVICES - voila -----

There is some interest in 7700 K here on the forum - and if people wish to use Windows 7 32/64 the above may be relevant.
dante

Post by dante »

What Scope H/W are you running / intend to run on it ?
fraz

Post by fraz »

dante wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:48 am What Scope H/W are you running / intend to run on it ?
It'll be run on PCI cards and Xite - :)

I've got it worked out I think - :)

Windows updates caused big problems - an example is control panel / hardware & sound / sound - a navigation problem - with some windows not opening very quickly at all.

Also some APPS on the included DVD's did the same thing - :( - embedded updates -very sneaky

But it's all sorted for a basic system - time to clone it - :)
dante

Post by dante »

How many cores ?
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hello,

4 cores 8 threads - MSI Z170 A M3 GAMING - realtek audio / with nahimic (another company) who writes code for an app that links in with Realtek audio - and is NOT compatible with Windows 7 - so I didn't install driver on this - and instead used a basic ish Creative Sound Blaster RX which is very good for a basic card.

Gigabyte H170 D3HP has Realtek Audio but NO Nahimic - so an earlier version of Realtek audio and because of this 100% compatible with Windows 7.

On Windows 10 32 bit MSI Z170 / Realtek Nahimic is 100% OK.

Also doing a TEST bench build for this board right now

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty% ... dex.us.asp

I can't try the Scope Xite / PCI cards with these boards yet but I'm putting the OS's on and checking the basic system drives are OK without any hitches and if there are hitches like with MSI Z170 I just don't install something.

Then clone the drive.....
fraz

Post by fraz »

With a case like this

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/lan-box/haf-xb/

The sides can be taken off as well as the TOP - like a convetible with the windows down !!! - sorry for that !!!

but it's good for setting something up - and making changes more quickly to install OS and drivers ----
fraz

Post by fraz »

Just 3 pics of said computer case / test bench - very handy - this is getting quite a bit of use --
Attachments
asrock_fm2+_fatality_3[1].jpg
asrock_fm2+_fatality_3[1].jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 5310 times
asrock_fm2+_fatality_2[1].jpg
asrock_fm2+_fatality_2[1].jpg (3.36 MiB) Viewed 5310 times
asrock_fm2+_fatality[1].jpg
asrock_fm2+_fatality[1].jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 5310 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

4 cores 8 threads = hyperthreading.

it's 4 cores with hyperthreading shut off. it takes a real core to calculate each thread, there is no magic. for ultra low latency/realtime audio, the extra threads just get in the way. the extra threads help with offline calculations like video or audio rendering, or cad/cam.

it looks like a nice build, though.
fraz

Post by fraz »

The one in the picture is AMD FM2+ - Dante was aking how many cores were in the Z170 / H170 build for the 7700 K - With so many CPU's it's difficult to just know how many cores there are.

The picture is FM2+ AMD - 7870 K APU (graphics AMD Radeon R7 included) - AMD varaiant of HD Intel ! - It's a 4 core CPU
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... 0K&id=2531

So not that powerful - like an i3 really - but how good it is for real time audio - only time will tell - but AMD isn't as good as Intel from reports of other users.

Yes it is a nice build that why I bought it for the Scope PCI cards that have been collected

Oh Garyb by the way - I've done a Windows 10 build x64 for one of these boards as well and did some copy/paste of files and the USB 3.0 connection dropped out on the USB-SATA bridge drive - So from the PM I sent you the other day - It's safe to say it's a Windows 10 thing - this is a different board to the clone that went wrong -------

But anyway 1, 2 or 3 Scope cards would do quite well in this - Windows 7 32 - and if needed VEP for access to another PC on a network - with more RAM -

By comparison to other motherboards - this is low end budget - but is the top end of the AsRock FM2+ line so should be quite durable. The BIOS looked quite good as well for AsRock - Very similar to the Asus BIOS, not in look but the arrangement of the windows and navigation.

This is a test bench - so when this is done another one goes in !
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Hey Fraz I just bought this board this week and will building it in the new year. Please keep us posted on how you get on. I7 here I come.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Yes it's a good board - I've got a few sytems on the test bench to set them up - So I get confused which board we're talking about - this is the MSI Z170 A M3 GAMING ??? - with an i7 7700 K correct? - you bought this???

If you are using this board don't try to install Realtek audio & Nahimic on Windows 7 64 (they don't work) Nahimic is closely linked to Realtek and is a seperate app that ties in with Realtek audio and gives a basic metering of the signal playback (source!!!) - So for Windows 7 32 / 64 be careful.

On Win 10 32 - no problems at all -- everything installs well.

Also I think there is a killer lan - with an app for network LAN traffic - useage - win 10 this is OK - but is simpler just to install the driver only (not the app)

On Win 7 just install the LAN driver only - no heroics......

>>>>>>>>>************* IMPORTANT - Windows 7 = NO UPDATES at all - as 7700 K get nobbled by the updates and the system hangs - slows down etc..........
fraz

Post by fraz »

I've not used the MSI Z170A Gaming m3 with Scope yet - Just a basic build where I think the system is OK - But it's only when it's used properly do you really know - MSI support the 7700 K with BIOS update version - but Microsoft do not - for example the 7700 K worked to install the OS straight away - meaning it had the correct BIOS already installed.

Sometimes on Z170/H170 the board is compatible with 7700 K but you need to flash a newer BIOS - But to do that you need a Skylake CPU - the one released before the Kabylake 7700 K - a pain but necessary - In such circumstance - a cheap low end CPU is best=
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

fraz wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:24 pm Yes it's a good board - I've got a few sytems on the test bench to set them up - So I get confused which board we're talking about - this is the MSI Z170 A M3 GAMING ??? - with an i7 7700 K correct? - you bought this???
I’ve just bought the MSI board Fraz. I will get the power supply RAM, hard drivesetc within the next few months.

I would appreciate any tips for CPU’s and a good power supply. I hope it works with Scope .

Thanks.
fraz

Post by fraz »

There are lots of good PSU's - Cooler Master - Corsair - Thermal Take - Try to get a fully modular one - meaning the power cables dis-connect 100% from the PSU.

Having Scope you shouldn like fully modular - !

Or you get a semi-modular where the 24 pin ATX power & 8 pin CPU power connector are connected (fixed) to the PSU - and can't be removed