Best mobo and cpu combo

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Best mobo and cpu combo

Post by Music Manic »

Hi guys could someone give me some direction for a desktop motherboard (ATX and micro ATX) which would be used for streaming samples and mixin for internal ITB use mainly. Which one would house a single PCI Pulsar card too without compromise?

I saw someobody post a single rack type but how would they house a good quality sound card, or would USB be the way?

Are i9 cores any use or are i7s still the best?

Thanks.
fraz

Re: Best mobo and cpu combo

Post by fraz »

You've got over 1500 posts to your name - !!! - Don't you have a PCI slot motherboard?

The single rack type boxes are for the "industrial" type motherboards, AsRock Rack or Super Micro or similar - DAW MAN is a member here who knows all about these.

Apparently there is a Xeon D CPU about as strong as the 8700 K that can be used with 3 PCI slots - there is a thread lower down in this forum about this.

These boards may cost quite a lot....

Do you own PCI cards by Cremaware / S|C? - ?

There are some Z270 boards / Z170 / Z97 (Intel) that have PCI slots

MSI have a B350 Gaming+ / PC Mate / B350 Tomahawk - all with 2 x PCI slots for Ryzen 7

It's getting harder to source boards with PCI slots on.....

i9 CPU's are on X299 chipset - Intel - and will NOT have PCI slots onboard.....
fraz

Post by fraz »

https://www.ibase.com.tw/english/Produc ... Computing/

above is the link to some of the industrial boards - support for current gen and previous gen CPU's

I've sent an inquiry/enquiry to them to ask about the cost for the 8th gen i7/xeon and the 6th/7th gen i7/ and the 4th gen i7 -
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

fraz wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:12 am You've got over 1500 posts to your name - !!! - Don't you have a PCI slot motherboard?

The single rack type boxes are for the "industrial" type motherboards, AsRock Rack or Super Micro or similar - DAW MAN is a member here who knows all about these.

Apparently there is a Xeon D CPU about as strong as the 8700 K that can be used with 3 PCI slots - there is a thread lower down in this forum about this.

These boards may cost quite a lot....

Do you own PCI cards by Cremaware / S|C? - ?

Yes I have the Intel DP35DP but am looking for a backup board and just another very fast desktop comp to run large library samples only, with pulsar. My setup is great but I am interested in the extra power and overhead i7's give.

I have a couple of pulsar 1 cards which I am keeping for the D/A outputs. Love the Scope quality.

Thanks for help.
petal

Post by petal »

Have a look in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=35301

Why that particular thread is housed under "off topic" I don't understand.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i don't know whyt it's there either, but the fact remains that there are a number of recent motherboards that have PCI slots that work. finding 2 isn't so hard, 3 is a little trickier.

so far, all i7 period motherboards have worked very well, except for socket 1155 offerings. finding a used socket 1150 or a NOS 1150 motherboard shouldn't be very hard at all, and performance will be comparable to current board/cpu combos. performance is no longer making huge leaps and bounds when new models are offered. rather, it's a more gradual gain in performance now. there are a LOT of possibilities that are a big, big step up from a DP35DP.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

garyb wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:36 am i don't know whyt it's there either, but the fact remains that there are a number of recent motherboards that have PCI slots that work. finding 2 isn't so hard, 3 is a little trickier.

so far, all i7 period motherboards have worked very well, except for socket 1155 offerings. finding a used socket 1150 or a NOS 1150 motherboard shouldn't be very hard at all, and performance will be comparable to current board/cpu combos. performance is no longer making huge leaps and bounds when new models are offered. rather, it's a more gradual gain in performance now. there are a LOT of possibilities that are a big, big step up from a DP35DP.
Could you point out particular models with or without PCI Gary to give me guidance.

Thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, i would have to use google and some time to do that. what would be better is for you to choose one and then ask my opinion. i'd be happy to offer what guidance i can that way.
garyb

Post by garyb »

actually, i'm happy to search, but i can't spend the time for a day or two. how many slots do you need?
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

garyb wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:53 am actually, i'm happy to search, but i can't spend the time for a day or two. how many slots do you need?
Well, 3 PCI for backing up main system and none or one for mobo that will be used for large sample based use. As long as they're fast.

Thanks for help
fraz

Post by fraz »

Music Manic wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:36 am
garyb wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:36 am i don't know whyt it's there either, but the fact remains that there are a number of recent motherboards that have PCI slots that work. finding 2 isn't so hard, 3 is a little trickier.

Could you point out particular models with or without PCI Gary to give me guidance.

Thanks
Hello,

I looked into this a year or two ago - I can list a number of boards-Maybe a sticky could be started as points of reference - getting the boards is another matter though.

Z97 chipset or equivalent - & Z 170 (should work on Scope 7 ???

Asrock
--------
Z97 Extreme 3 (3 is in the name)
Z97 Pro 4 (2 PCI)
Z97 Fatality Killer 2 PCI (not to be confused with Z97X Fatality Killer)

MSI
----
Z97 Gaming 3 (3 PCI)
Z97 G43 (3 PCI)

Z170 Gaming M3 (3 PCI)

Gigabyte

H170 D3 HP (Z170 equivalent as well) 3 PCI

Asus
-----
B85 Pro Gamer (1150) cut down chipset (3 PCI)
Asus Z97-C (3 PCI slots)
Asus P9D-V (1150) C224 chipset (not as convenient as consumer)

There will be more motherboards but looking online on the manufacturers websites is needed. This should be helpful
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

fraz wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 am
Music Manic wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks
Hello,

I looked into this a year or two ago - I can list a number of boards-Maybe a sticky could be started as points of reference - getting the boards is another matter though.

Z97 chipset or equivalent - & Z 170 (should work on Scope 7 ???

Asrock
--------
Z97 Extreme 3 (3 is in the name)
Z97 Pro 4 (2 PCI)
Z97 Fatality Killer 2 PCI (not to be confused with Z97X Fatality Killer)

MSI
----
Z97 Gaming 3 (3 PCI)
Z97 G43 (3 PCI)

Z170 Gaming M3 (3 PCI)

Gigabyte

H170 D3 HP (Z170 equivalent as well) 3 PCI

Asus
-----
B85 Pro Gamer (1150) cut down chipset (3 PCI)
Asus Z97-C (3 PCI slots)
Asus P9D-V (1150) C224 chipset (not as convenient as consumer)

There will be more motherboards but looking online on the manufacturers websites is needed. This should be helpful
Thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

that looks like plenty.
Z170/270/370 should all work with v7.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

valis

Post by valis »

Note not compatible with 7th/8th gen CPU's, & pair that with a very low heat GPU that has a full cover & rear exhaust imo.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

valis wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:06 pm Note not compatible with 7th/8th gen CPU's, & pair that with a very low heat GPU that has a full cover & rear exhaust imo.
Which do you recommend for those? I guess they’ll be pcie based too but speed is good.
valis

Post by valis »

Something like this is more than adequate for non-gaming uses: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6814487295

If you look at the similar products, you'll see a lot of cards like these that have NO rear exhaust:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6814500410
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6814137079

These will simply dump all heat into your case and thus right on top of your DSP cards as well.

Also note that if you're trying to use 3 PCI cards with that MSI board then you'll need a single slot card (the cooler can't extend into the PCIe slot below as all dual slot cards will) which will limit you to HPC / Workstation low power options like this one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6ZP5UA8947

Lastly, note that the CURRENT version of the MSI board is Z170A M5 (not M3) and has only 1 PCI slot, so make sure you get the right board if you go this way.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Just a note on the generations of CPU's

4th GEN i7 Intel 1150 - 4790 K

6th GEN i7 6700 K 1151
7th GRN i7 7700 K 1151

Also note Asus did a Z170 board with 2 x PCI slots on - I can use 2 quite happily but 3 is better. Asus remove motherboards from their website when they are not current.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PR ... fications/ (2 PCI)

Here is an example of a goof board - not as good as the MSI Z170 Gaming M3 - But still good.

https://www.amazon.de/GIGABYTE-GA-H170- ... abyte+h170

It is under 100 euros from Germany and is good for the 7700 K - Gary b will be upset it won't overclock - (joke) - But if you're in Europe and need PCI slots- then there is some here!!!
fraz

Post by fraz »

And look what we have here

https://www.amazon.de/MSI-7978-015R-Gam ... 9CHEZE5FGH

3 new ones for a reasonable price -

I'll confess I bought one or two last year !!!

Sadly the 7700 K has increased in price on Amazon maybe more rare now - Nobody wants the PCI boards - apart from us - :)
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

fraz wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:27 pm And look what we have here

https://www.amazon.de/MSI-7978-015R-Gam ... 9CHEZE5FGH

3 new ones for a reasonable price -

I'll confess I bought one or two last year !!!

Sadly the 7700 K has increased in price on Amazon maybe more rare now - Nobody wants the PCI boards - apart from us - :)
:lol:

That's a great board. Can't find 170 new.

Germans always on it. Doesn't deliver to UK unfortunately but maybe a friend.