1U PC Rack for Scope/PulsarII?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

ste

1U PC Rack for Scope/PulsarII?

Post by ste »

Hello!
i own an old but good PulsarII board and i would like to build a 1U pc specifically for live, with a PulsarII inside. I would like to play all those great synthesizers I purchased for this great board.
My needs are:

1) not too expensive
2) 1U Rack
3) it should generate not too much heat (not necessary state-of-the art i7 cpu for it... just for scope mainly and perhaps a bunch of vst softsynths)

I would like to spend not so much money for it, and it means that it's not necessary for me to have "latest tecnology" computer, but a good one that gives no problems with scope with windows 7 64 bit os inside. I own Scope 5 software, but i may upgrade without any problems.

I also thought to put an old PC with core2duo/quad and windows xp, since i don't need to use it as my main DAW with Scope 32bit software, but i think it will be ancient...

May you please give me some suggestions?
Thanks a lot!!
ste
garyb

Re: 1U PC Rack for Scope/PulsarII?

Post by garyb »

a 3u rack will be cheaper and easier, if heat and price are the big considerations. otherwise, 1u is fine with the proper riser and fans on high. DSPs generate a lot of heat..
ste

Post by ste »

hi garyb,
thanks for your reply.
i understand that heat may be a problem. No problems installing a couple fans in the chassis.
Any suggestions on mobo+cpu to use? and where to purchase 1U pc-case rack + powersupply?
Thanks!!
ste
garyb

Post by garyb »

you should ask Dawman about where to buy the chassis and ps. i used to go to ebay...

motherboard and cpu would be more a matter of price and the layout of the chassis/motherboard combination for PCI cards, almost all intel motherboards work with v7. i think i'd still avoid socket 1155 offerings.

heat management will be more than just a couple of fans with a PCI card in the box. you will need to really be aware of airflow in a 1U case.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Id go with a 4U.
Plenty of those, they’re cheap, and an older Z97 from ASRock always works.
It’s the older Devils Canyon CPUs that are pricey.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I actually have a brand new mobo in the box, ASRock Z97.
It was a spare for my spare PC.
I’m on Windows 10 Scope 7 now so my spares are great but will never use this motherboard.
Try and find a new i7 4000 series CPU and maybe since your a live player I’ll give it to you for shipping costs and 20 bucks if you can’t find one.
I stuck this in my locker and never opened it see it.
It’s sealed with the original anti static bag.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the voice of experience....^^^^
ste

Post by ste »

dawman wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:12 pm I actually have a brand new mobo in the box, ASRock Z97.
It was a spare for my spare PC.
I’m on Windows 10 Scope 7 now so my spares are great but will never use this motherboard.
Try and find a new i7 4000 series CPU and maybe since your a live player I’ll give it to you for shipping costs and 20 bucks if you can’t find one.
I stuck this in my locker and never opened it see it.
It’s sealed with the original anti static bag.
that's great! I will contact you privately... thanks a lot dawman!!