Asio Drivers and CPU

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Asio Drivers and CPU

Post by Music Manic »

I was just wondering today about integer and flooring point drivers in Scope.

1: if you use Integer in your DAW and use plugins in Scope will there be more chance of clipping in Scope if you use more Scope plugins to treat the audio?
2:if you use floating point will there be more stress on the cpu in Scope?

3:how does the native cpu and Scope dsp’s deal with the audio? Will native plugins process the audio before passing them to Scope, and does Scope then process the audio with the set asio driver used?

What I’m asking mainly is what happens when the DAW passes the audio through Scope?

Thanks.
garyb

Re: Asio Drivers and CPU

Post by garyb »

1. no.
2. no, not significantly either way.
3. the ASIO driver has nothing to do with how Scope processes audio. native processes happen natively, then the driver passes the streams on to Scope. native is on the CPU, Scope has nothing to do with native processes, it does it's own thing as external hardware.
DragonSF

Re: Asio Drivers and CPU

Post by DragonSF »

3. As I see it: native plugins send the Audio-Stream (via ASIO) directly to the Scope driver (lowest level). So the DSP manager receives this data and sends it directly to the involved DSPs. After the processing is done, the audio is sent back to ASIO (if designed so) by transfering it to the system driver. If the native process (either plugin or DAW) wants this audio back, it can access it by using ASIO. ASIO itself doesn't do anything CPU specific, it's just a transport medium. the route is native <-> ASIO <-> driver <-> Scope DSP. (I'm only elaborating gary's comment).