Fastest Quad Is The Cheapest

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Fastest Quad Is The Cheapest

Post by dawman »

As much as I wanted an AMD the competition they created has brought us the fastest cheapest Quad Core CPU ever made.

The i3 8350k is frowned on by gamers because the HD300 iGPU gets trounced by AMDs iGPU Vega. It is a serious graphics solution that gets 32fps.
The AMD 2400G is a great CPU but it’s single core performance, even with 10MBs of Cache can’t keep up unless expensive fast DDR4 gets used.

A fellow performer using similar apps is hitting 20% less CPU power than my i7 4790k.

Just thought I’d share with guys wanting to use software live.
I won’t need a CPU for quite a while but have a feeling stocking up on quads might be wise.
I really doubt in years to come they will even be made.
Everyone wants octo or 16 Core, etc.

Great for massive templates and higher latency VEPro style master/Slave networks.

If you want a really fast Audio Workstation with a 160 dollar CPU check out the i3 8350k.
Try a Cheap no frills non gaming motherboard too.

Good news for tight budgets.
dawman

Re: Fastest Quad Is The Cheapest

Post by dawman »

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12572/th ... enchmarked

Here’s a bad little rig too.
What I like is the 128MBs of eDRAM/L4 cache.
Meant for graphics, but once disabled turns into audio cache, must faster than RAM.

4.2GHz means this Dog Will Hunt....
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:57 am Image

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12572/th ... enchmarked

Here’s a bad little rig too.
What I like is the 128MBs of eDRAM/L4 cache.
Meant for graphics, but once disabled turns into audio cache, must faster than RAM.

4.2GHz means this Dog Will Hunt....
It might be interesting,- but the disadvantage of these mobile processors is they can only use/adress 8 PCIe lanes at max..
And since there are the graphics and memory controller inside processor now,- 8 lanes might be tight
The i3-8350k handles twice as much !

Normally, the graphics use the most PCIe lanes, fast M.2 uses 4, XITE will use 1 ... but there´s more riding the bus,- USB, Thunderbolt etc..

Just sayin´ ...

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

8PCIe lanes seems plenty for XITE + M.2 and even thunderbolt. After that, what needs PCIe?

I'm not keen in Mobile processors for audio since my experience has been throttling off the frequency...opposite of Turbo mode...and causing audio hiccups in the process. But these chips with eDRAM originally created for Apple have some killer performance for the power they use.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jksuperstar wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:12 pm 8PCIe lanes seems plenty for XITE + M.2 and even thunderbolt. After that, what needs PCIe?
CPU and PCH does ... what´s available is matter of chipset and mainboard design,- isn´t it ?

I only know, Intel z370 chipset supports 24 PCIe lanes while Intel HM175 supports 16 only.

The benchmark test (link in former post says the processor offers 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes,- that´s wrong.
Go to Ark Intel https://ark.intel.com/products/130409/I ... o-4_20-GHz and you see it´s 8 only.
That´s why I posted.

More PCIe lanes usually result in more data thruput.

I also think, when building a modern computer system "for XITE",- most of us don´t really want it for SCOPE/ XITE only.
Demands rise when it runs good ...
Some VSTis (phys. modelling & sample-streaming) will come in addition.
jksuperstar wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:12 pm But these chips with eDRAM originally created for Apple have some killer performance for the power they use.
Maybe, but I´d really want to see a test or document confirming the eDRAM (L4 cache) will always go to the audio performance when being switched off for the graphics and being managed by NUC mobo design/ BIOS and HM175 chipset.
Can we defeat that feature in every BIOS existing for those NUC mobos ?

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
dawman

Post by dawman »

Actually 16 PCI-e Lanes.
Packed with NVMe devices there’s still 5 x LLanes left over for Audio Connectors, etc.

These chips have the same power, even more than my i7 5775C that also uses 128MB eDRAM.

Interesting Intel keep these chips hiding for so long.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Intel has shifted from alternate generational of new architecture vs. new process, to a three step new process, new architecture, optimization.

We're in the optimize (8th) gen now, and it seems to be fruitful.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I missed this back in 2/2018.
Seems the data might be wrong as the i3 8350k is much faster and has a larger cache.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core ... controller

Keep your eyes peeled for this cool running low watt speed demon.
I’m willing to bet it’s 4.4GHz @ stock speeds with 5GHz Turbo boost.

Undervolt this puppy to 4GHz and 45-50 Watts maybe.

Sweet
Marco

Post by Marco »

I drive a Yamaha Raptor Quad has 350ccm and drives like hell. That's real fun. But my scope pc was killed by a virus. Now i am pausing my music!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Rice grinders will be more expensive than a Harley next year..
dawman

Post by dawman »

Seems the Quad I was interested in is even better in the 10th Gen line up.

I was just getting ready to grab a Quad i3 8350k but @CES this year talk of an even faster quad got my attention.
I3 10350k

More cache, base clock of 4.1GHz, IPC and single core scores show a 15-20% improvement over my 4790k, which really don’t need a boost.

Keep your eyes peeled for this.

Guys recording might like higher latency 8 core AMD chips.
They have lots of power but for live work the 3000s might be more trouble than they’re worth.

Life is good when competition drives the markets.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:26 pm Seems the Quad I was interested in is even better in the 10th Gen line up.

I was just getting ready to grab a Quad i3 8350k but @CES this year talk of an even faster quad got my attention.
I3 10350k

More cache, base clock of 4.1GHz, IPC and single core scores show a 15-20% improvement over my 4790k, which really don’t need a boost.

Keep your eyes peeled for this.

Guys recording might like higher latency 8 core AMD chips.
They have lots of power but for live work the 3000s might be more trouble than they’re worth.

Life is good when competition drives the markets.
I´m waitng for this new i3 too.

My new Win10 Pro x64 office machine is Intel i3 8100 (4x 3.6GHz 6MB cache) and is surprisingly fast, powerful and super quiet.
I used the i7 4790K´s copper core boxed cooler for this build and get dream temperatures.
I´m pretty sure I could do audio work w/ this machine too.

So, I plan a DAW build for XITE w/ i3 10350k too and will use the 4HU Z97 w/ i74790K for RME then.

:)

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valis

Post by valis »

I'm listening :)

I was planning on moving from my ancient P4 dual Xeon rig (used only for Scope) to a Phenom II motherboard with two PCI slots I have lying around (ok my daughter games on it at present)...but a nice board with multiple PCIe slots and PCI adapters would do as well.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yep, the i3 10350k is the most mature, stable and fastest quad in history.
Don’t even really need it yet, but I don’t want a 6/8 or 10 core CPU until they fix the latency associated with extra cores.
Same crap happened when we went from dual core to quads, except the 256 samples @ 6 msec was still okay to use.

Ryzen 3 will have to fix it with their new unified cache.
Thankfully they’re aware of it and the fix will also increase IPC.

Exciting times.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:44 pm
... but I don’t want a 6/8 or 10 core CPU until they fix the latency associated with extra cores.
Same crap happened when we went from dual core to quads, ...
The more cores, the more computing time goes into synchronization of cores.
So, there will always be some latency.
Most (relative) gain was stepping up from single core to dual core.

:)

Bud