PCI Bandwidth - sharing slots with other devices..

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

sinix

Post by sinix »

I know the Creamware cards are pretty intensive on PCI bandwidth.. this is pretty common subject around here. I'm assuming this is mostly because the Pulsar cards are accessing large chunks of system ram, especially for things like samplers and reverbs.

I'm seriously thinking about adding another dsp card like a UAD-1 or Powercore to my current Pulsar II.

You think they'll play together nicely?

I wonder how much resources these cards use? Both of them have on-board ram for the plugins and don't require system ram in that sense.

I mostly use the Pulsar for sts sampling, a couple synths and routing my two external units. Maybe I'll add a SRB board in the future.

This a bad idea to run 2 or 3 DSP cards in the same PC? Is this asking too much?

- sinix

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sinix on 2001-11-30 21:30 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

It's an excellent idea to get more DSP cards, and I know that UAD-1 should work okay next to your CW stuff, not sure about Powercore yet. The main 'drawback' is that you'll have to use CW in the XTC mode to run them both side-by-side, and many of the coolest plugins aren't XTC yet... UAD-1 doesn't tax the PCI bus as heavily from everything I've read about it, and a few people on the CW forum who have both say they work well.