Page 1 of 1

Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:44 am
by fokas
This just caught my attention. It can be Sata powered which seems promising but needs to be tested and will be an ergonomical wonder for a MicroATX in a ATX Case.

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 pm
by dawman
I've been using Riser Cards and Ribbons for years.
Its how I have 1U PCs for Scope.
Using micro ATX too.
We don't need all of the excess slots and gunk on gaming boards.

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 am
by panaman
looks like that sintech pcie to pci riser card.
did you get it to work?
with internal and external cards?
more than 3?

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37 am
by dawman
You need to ensure it’s the proper voltage conversion for 32 bit PCI Slots to function correctly.
But using one that would work would be a gold mine on Z97 boards.
No PCH Redirections, straight to the CPU.

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:50 am
by ste
dawman wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 pm
I've been using Riser Cards and Ribbons for years.
Its how I have 1U PCs for Scope.
Using micro ATX too.
We don't need all of the excess slots and gunk on gaming boards.
hello,
i would be interested to give new life to my pulsarII card with a lot of synths purchased... is it possible to have more informations about your system? Components, motherboard, powersupply&1UCase and so on..

thanks!
ste

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:58 am
by garyb
so far, there have been no good expanders that i have seen.

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:11 pm
by dawman
ste wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:50 am
dawman wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 pm
I've been using Riser Cards and Ribbons for years.
Its how I have 1U PCs for Scope.
Using micro ATX too.
We don't need all of the excess slots and gunk on gaming boards.
hello,
i would be interested to give new life to my pulsarII card with a lot of synths purchased... is it possible to have more informations about your system? Components, motherboard, powersupply&1UCase and so on..

thanks!
ste
Sure.

Supermicro CSE-512f-440B which is a 1U ATX Chassis
i7 4790k
ASRock anything Z or H97
32GBs Of DDR3 RAM
Samsung 850 Evo SSDs.

That’s about it.
7C72A2AB-01D5-4064-B222-DA3D7DE9634B.jpeg
7C72A2AB-01D5-4064-B222-DA3D7DE9634B.jpeg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 1046 times

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:52 pm
by ste
wow! great! And you have a box for your scope through pciex-to-pci adapter, is it correct?

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 pm
by garyb
no, he has an XITE-1 which has a connector in a PCIE slot.
external PCI expansion boxes don't work well.

also, as you can see, he does not have a bunch of dsps inside there and he still needs to be aware of heat. 3 space minimum for a PCI card is a good idea.

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:48 am
by ste
garyb wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 pm
no, he has an XITE-1 which has a connector in a PCIE slot.
external PCI expansion boxes don't work well.

also, as you can see, he does not have a bunch of dsps inside there and he still needs to be aware of heat. 3 space minimum for a PCI card is a good idea.
i understand :( perhaps i will have no alternative to move to a bigger case, although it's heavier and bigger...

Thanks garyb and dawman!
ste

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:38 am
by Janni
Try to get a refurbished/used HP workstation in a rackable case and use your scopecards as a standalone FX/Synth-unit.
I am using a xw6200 with winxp 32bit (about 160€) with a 14 and a 6 DSP card.
Each card has its own IRQ.
No VSTis, no sequencer, no ASIO-hassle... Just processing ADAT ins. Works perfect!!!
My OS is on a small SSD and booting it up takes just a few seconds.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c00215315

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 am
by astroman
Yes, and there's this urban legend of running out of boards with PCI slots...
There is SO MUCH stuff available that you could still buy boards with twin PCI bussus (6 slots), some even new old stock :D
(recently found a German site with the most exotic collection I ever spotted online)
Of course such offers vary a lot (and naturally with time passing), but the sheer amount was stunning - and that was just 1 single online store.

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:16 pm
by Music Manic
garyb wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:58 am
so far, there have been no good expanders that i have seen.
I was getting excited until I read that.

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:17 pm
by Music Manic
astroman wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 am
Yes, and there's this urban legend of running out of boards with PCI slots...
There is SO MUCH stuff available that you could still buy boards with twin PCI bussus (6 slots), some even new old stock :D
(recently found a German site with the most exotic collection I ever spotted online)
Of course such offers vary a lot (and naturally with time passing), but the sheer amount was stunning - and that was just 1 single online store.
Do you have any links for 3 PCI Mobos?

Thanks

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:28 pm
by Music Manic
dawman wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:11 pm
ste wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:50 am
dawman wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 pm
I've been using Riser Cards and Ribbons for years.
Its how I have 1U PCs for Scope.
Using micro ATX too.
We don't need all of the excess slots and gunk on gaming boards.
hello,
i would be interested to give new life to my pulsarII card with a lot of synths purchased... is it possible to have more informations about your system? Components, motherboard, powersupply&1UCase and so on..

thanks!
ste
Sure.

Supermicro CSE-512f-440B which is a 1U ATX Chassis
i7 4790k
ASRock anything Z or H97
32GBs Of DDR3 RAM
Samsung 850 Evo SSDs.

That’s about it.

7C72A2AB-01D5-4064-B222-DA3D7DE9634B.jpeg
A few of questions Jimmy:

1-how is that system for large sample libraries players like Kontakt.
2-can it be synced to another System’s Daw?
3-are there any accessories apart from xite that can send good quality audio outs to a scope pci system? Using it as a sampler so to speak?

Thanks

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:23 pm
by dawman
It’s great for ASIO Sampled instruments.
Yes, with software like VEPro
Digital Audio is cheaper and easier to get high quality audio.
Get a used RME like a Ray Dat or even cheaper if possible.
It’s the quality of the drivers that makes RME, Lynx and Apogee better cards.
But you should try the onboard audio of the motherboard for shits and grins.
Who knows, it might work.
Everything gets better and smaller every cycle.

Good Luck Mate

Re: Micro ATX PCI expander

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:38 am
by astroman
Music Manic wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:17 pm
astroman wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 am
Yes, and there's this urban legend of running out of boards with PCI slots...
There is SO MUCH stuff available that you could still buy boards with twin PCI bussus (6 slots), some even new old stock :D
(recently found a German site with the most exotic collection I ever spotted online)
Of course such offers vary a lot (and naturally with time passing), but the sheer amount was stunning - and that was just 1 single online store.
Do you have any links for 3 PCI Mobos?

Thanks
you probably mean 'modern' motherboards - sorry, I gave up on those long ago. Imho Dawman is the most reliable source in that domain as he still seems to ride the cutting edge of the wave with sustained endurance :D
I don't mind lack of CPU cycles and stick with classic boards and would receive Scope data via Adat on a modern, high power system (if in need).