PCI card chassis

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

PCI card chassis

Post by fraz »

I've come across this by mistake - An RME user has one with many cards that he has. I'm not looking at buying but more asking is this any good with Scope PCI cards? - The RME user article is here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... ution.html

According to the RME user he uses his Magman Chassis on X99

http://magma.com/products/classic-pci-e ... expansion/

He did add in the article that his TC Electronic Power Core card didn't work - I'm curious if this would work with Scope - I've got enough mobo's with PCI slots but this looks interesting but does it work?
garyb

Re: PCI card chassis

Post by garyb »

yes, but at reduced PCI performance. old news...expensive...plus there are plenty of very fast motherboard/cpu combos that still work well and have PCI slots.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hi Garyb,

I've got enough mobo's with PCI slots - But I had to ask about the Magma chassis as I didn't know. I've heard of Mac users using them for Pro Tools and Mac Pro because Mac Pro didn't have the room.

Whilst I'm at it Garyb would you imagine AMD socket AM3+ would work with the PCI cards. I'm no expert but this socket has the FX 8350 CPU which is compared with 3770k as it's nearly the same performance for multi-threaded applications. It was also released in the same time frame.

As you've pointed out here 1155 does not work well with PCU cards - Is there any correlation of the technology in these two sockets for compatibility with Scope PCI cards? - That is socket 1155 and AMD socket AM3+?

As you've also pointed out here is that socket 1150 is the best for Scope - AMD have socket FM2+ which was released in the same time frame as 1150 but is a budget socket for CPU's / APU's [IGP] - Which is very similar to 1150 as that has IGP.

In time I'll try it anyway and will find out -
garyb

Post by garyb »

the AMD stuff from the same period as the Intel 1155 stuff has the same problems as the Intel offerings have. later and earlier AMD seems fine. that's what i've seen anyway. it's not 100% gospel.
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:the AMD stuff from the same period as the Intel 1155 stuff has the same problems as the Intel offerings have. later and earlier AMD seems fine. that's what i've seen anyway. it's not 100% gospel.
OK Garyb, - It's not gospel but may confirm one of my suspicions - AMD copying Intel or using similar bits to make up the chipsets.

So based on that:

Intel 1155 similar to AMD AM3+ [good on xite but not pci cards]
Intel 1150 similar to AMD FM2+ [good on both pci and xite]

Intel 1151 similar to AMD AM4 [good on pci but not xite]

AMD don't have anything close to 2011 X79 / 2011-3 X99

OK not gospel but handy to know - When I know more I'll let you know

==========================================================================

What were the extent of the problems on 1155 for the PCI cards - How would it not work? - What would happen?