3 pci mobo + CPU combination

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Re: 3 pci mobo + CPU combination

Post by fraz »

d9d9 wrote:puh what a struggle. i finally placed the order.

i3 4170
msi z97 - g43

looking forward how stable the system will run.

interesting that viena ensemble. but i really have more than enough with my hardware synths and scope plugins. enough for making stripped down techno tracker.... :)

i'll keep u posted about how the new setup is running
A struggle ?? - But you could not find one!!! - But they were there on Amazon all along! - Supplies are running out now but there are still boards there.

I got a panic on when I thought of the possibility of Scope never being updated again [just a possibility] - so thought in such a case that the only motherboards that will work are the ones that exist now or a few boards that still have PCI included - When PCI is not on motherboards any more that is that and they are all gone.

So thought about the years ahead and started looking for socket 1150 motherboards as all the computer shops stopped selling them because they are not current.

Even if Scope 7 was released tomorrow and if PCI is supported we Scope users still need PCI slots on motherboards. It is a big hassle finding things and I dare say socket 1150 boards will be around on Amazon for a while but they are slowly dis-appearing which is why it's good to have a spare or two.

That MSI Z97-G43 board is a good one for around £100 - got 10/10 from a computer supplier a few years ago. The MSI Z97-Gaming 3 is even better as it has thunderbolt on as well
dawman

Post by dawman »

ASRock Z97 Pro 4 ATX has a pair of PCI too.
Just checked their site and the Extreme Z97s have been replaced by these.
d9d9

Post by d9d9 »

didn't i translate well? i found a board.
for me it was a struggle because i don't know that much about hardware components. was scared about something that will not work....
fraz

Post by fraz »

dawman wrote:ASRock Z97 Pro 4 ATX has a pair of PCI too.
Just checked their site and the Extreme Z97s have been replaced by these.
The AsRock Z97 Pro 4 is a bit pricey / scarce - Also has thunderbolt 2 header as well. I wasn't aware the Pro 4 replaced the Z97 Extreme 3 - I got 1 x Z97 Extreme 3 and it seems quite sturdy for an AsRock
fraz

Post by fraz »

d9d9 wrote:didn't i translate well? i found a board.
for me it was a struggle because i don't know that much about hardware components. was scared about something that will not work....
Dawman may have read your post - But folks come here to have a general chatter - :) - It is very annoying understanding or trying to understand all the technology.

Intel & AMD - All the different sockets for the motherboards - And what works and what doesn't - Intel Socket 1150 is what your Z97 chipset is - There are other chipsets on socket 1150 which are lower down than Z97 which may mean you can't overclock as much or maybe not at all. H81 - B85 - H97 - [maybe others too] are all derivatives of socket 1150 - The best platform for Scope PCI cards and or Xite ! - So anything Intel socket 1150 is the best for Scope - That is the message here.

There is an AMD socket FM2+ that I suspect maybe as good as Intel socket 1150 - That is what I am hoping anyway as it was released around the same time. The processors on this socket equal the i3 4170 you are getting but no greater.

If you stick to socket 1150 your Scope will work very well.

When I was getting my head round all the technology it was annoying - Don't forget DDR3 RAM for your Z97 - The newer sockets use DDR4

That is where the forums come in to ask questions to learn about everything - People help each other out - Like you could not find a Z97 motherboard - But now you have - because you were here - :lol:
garyb

Post by garyb »

for what you describe, the stock i3 will be great.
there's no need to overclock or mess with it. it will be much more powerful that a core2 duo.

congratulations!
fraz

Post by fraz »

A bit of a trip down memory lane!-There are too many to list - But going back to 2008-ish these are some of the CPU's around. I've got Q9450 and Q9550 running PCI cards and Xite-1 though they are not set up as the home studio is to be built eventually.

Also some of the 1150 CPU's relevant to this thread for "d9d9" who couldn't find a Z97 motherboard :cry: - till now - :)

I find these benchmarks for AMD vs Intel to be useful in seeing the varying degrees of performance available in the processors, so an i7 4790 K which is the top end socket 1150 CPU for Z97 scoring around 11,100 points compared to say an i3 4170 scoring around 5,100 points but is a third of the price of 4790k so is better value!

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 socket 775

https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?id=1038

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Socket 775

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 40+2.66GHz

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 socket 775

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 40+2.83GHz

Intel Core 2 Duo 8500 socket 775

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... 40+3.16GHz

Intel Core 2 Duo 8600 socket 775

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 40+3.33GHz

Intel i3 4170 socket 1150

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 40+3.70GHz

Intel Celeron G1840 socket 1150 £35-£40

https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=In ... Hz&id=2268

Intel i7 4790 k socket 1150

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... 40+4.00GHz
d9d9

Post by d9d9 »

i was putting together my new system this morning and spend the whole day making music with it.
runs super smooth now.!
the midi sync and note output runs much tighter, no jitter, no droputs on notes even with super short 32th repeats....
i can run the ulli settings lower now. no pops and clicks at all.

thanks for your help
fraz

Post by fraz »

d9d9 wrote:i was putting together my new system this morning and spend the whole day making music with it.
runs super smooth now.!
the midi sync and note output runs much tighter, no jitter, no droputs on notes even with super short 32th repeats....

thanks for your help
Hey D9D9 - Are you using the PCI cards? [I know the title of the thread says 3 PCI + CPU combination] - But there is / was someone having problems on Intel socket 1151 with Z270 chipset - This was you right?

Or are you using PCI cards on socket 1151 with PCI slots - Just a reminder please of what you got like a Z97 board

Just had a look over the thread and you couldn't find the Z97 board anywhere but you got an MSI Z97 Gaming 3 - Was this a new one? -
garyb

Post by garyb »

d9d9 wrote:i was putting together my new system this morning and spend the whole day making music with it.
runs super smooth now.!

thanks for your help
hooray!
d9d9

Post by d9d9 »

hey fraz,

i am using 3 x Scope II Pci.
i was not on 1151 before.

i have a msi z97 g43 now. (which is not a gaming one i guess)
got it from ebay....

i found a shop where they have those asrock extreme 3 z97 and z87....new

some how i felt better with a used msi...
fraz

Post by fraz »

d9d9 wrote:hey fraz,

i am using 3 x Scope II Pci.
i was not on 1151 before.

i have a msi z97 g43 now. (which is not a gaming one i guess)
got it from ebay....

i found a shop where they have those asrock extreme 3 z97 and z87....new

some how i felt better with a used msi...
Which shop did you find that was selling "new" AsRock Z97 Extreme 3?

Are you in UK? - Amazon online still has some "new" Z97's - It could be good to get some spares if finances permit. Apparently though the Z170 / Z 270 1151 work on the PCI cards - Not sure if as well as Z97 - Anyhow - Until Scope is updated there are fewer and fewer motherboards to put the Scope into.

How much did you pay for the MSI Z97 G43 - New they are around £100 ore less £89 currently - Good board with 3 x PCI slots and 2 x PCI-e 2 x1 - So good for PCI cards or Xite - Bravo!

I don't know how many Scope owners / users there are remaining - But it would be difficult to buy a motherboard now to work on Xite-1 with the exception of the remaining socket 1150 boards - The PCI cards fare a bit better on 1151 if you can find the boards - There are a handful that do have PCI slots
garyb

Post by garyb »

this is not the first time that a form factor hasn't worked well. so much panic. 1155 motherboards are terrible with PCI cards and everyone was sure that PCI cards were done. yet the next generation was great for PCI cards...
dawman

Post by dawman »

http://www.aaeon.com/en/p/atx-imba-q77
pgal_160328_997x9x.jpg
pgal_160328_997x9x.jpg (112.45 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:this is not the first time that a form factor hasn't worked well. so much panic. 1155 motherboards are terrible with PCI cards and everyone was sure that PCI cards were done. yet the next generation was great for PCI cards...
Wow-thanks for coming in on this - That has baffled me a little - 1155 bad PCI then 1150 [afterwards] good PCI -

After reading that sockets change, a lot of the technology does not [maybe a little] so is there any truth to the statement of 1151 PCI bus implementation being exactly the same as Intel socket 1150 in that respect?

As I've started learning more from a point of knowing nothing - We have the PCB with all the circuits [lanes / wires etc...] and knowing the architecture of this is impossible to understand without a schematic [and understanding it enough as well :) ]

I don't want to be panicking but PCI slots will be gone off motherboards but there are some on socket 1151 and even AM4 now albeit two PCI slots which is still good for a 32 I/O+ [ins-and-outs] - This is why it would be good to know PCI implementation on 1150 vs 1151 because it may be the same [????-maybe]

Regarding PCI-e or Xite - Please correct me if I am wrong but there has not been a working motherboard for Xite after Intel socket 1150 because 1151 with it's Z170 chipset [mk1] and it's Z270 chipset [mk2] both do not work on Xite-1 correctly - Is this correct?

LGA 2011-V3 seemed like a total no go with it's X99 chipset

And all of this was because of PCI-e address system going from 12 addresses to 36 addresses on 2011-V3 on X99 and maybe similar on Z170/Z270 1151 but definitely not the same as Z97 1150 - Reason for this??? - To get more speed to GPU ??? - And what ever the differences are between 1150 vs 1151 / 2011-V3 they won't be the same again ???

This is the limit of my knowledge that I've picked up online - Please elaborate - Thanks - :)
Last edited by fraz on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hello Dawman - Nice mobo with 3 x PCI slots and 2 x PCI-e 2 x1 slots - Great for PCI cards and Xite!
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, Fraz, that's probably mostly correct.
i'll bet is a bios issue more than a physical one. it won't get fixed unless there are complainers directly to the motherboard companies...chances are that has happened and is happening...
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:yeah, Fraz, that's probably mostly correct.
i'll bet is a bios issue more than a physical one. it won't get fixed unless there are complainers directly to the motherboard companies...chances are that has happened and is happening...
Ah this is good if there are complainers to motherboard companies - I feel, maybe that with all the issue @ S|C there was no one to approach Asus, AsRock etc.... to bring the issue up!.

I've taken the approach of having enough socket 1150 motherboards so I never need to consider anything else for Scope ever again, PERIOD so the situation is put to bed once and for all. If Scope 7 never see light of day, I'm covered, alternatively if Scope 7 does see the light of day, I'm covered - Important - :lol:

Out of interest I've got some B85 chipsets which are socket 1150 - A cut down version of Z97 if you will - Good board, nicely made - Am I correct to assume ANYTHING 1150 is all systems go for Scope?
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, all the socket 1150 motherboards seem to work.
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:yeah, all the socket 1150 motherboards seem to work.
This is really good to know

I have a natter with other on PM's and there is someone else who claims to have had a good result with AMD socket AM3+ with the FX8350 - More on this when I learn a little more - FX8350 is around 12% ish poorer performance than 4790k but for a price of around £120 now as we speak so if it works also it's a belter even if it's rated @ 125 W