Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post Reply
Paprika
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:54 pm

Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by Paprika » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:56 pm

So, I want to make a new build with Windows 10 64bit and I am looking for options.
I am between a Z170 and Z97 build.
Z170 pros:
-3 PCI ports mobos can be found.
-Compatible with PCI cards.
Z170 cons:
-Not friendly with Xite-1.

Z97 pros:
-compatible with Xite-1 and PCI cards.
Z97 cons:
-Only 2 PCI ports.

My question is: will Xite-1 become friendlier with Z170 in the future? I ask because anyway I probably won't be able to get a Xite-1 any time soon, and I would probably start with Scope PCI cards, then upgrade to Xite-1 in the future , when I am able to get one.

If I go for the Z170 , I am considering an i7 6700k CPU.
If i go for the Z97, I am considering an i7 4900k CPU.

I want CPU power for DAW plugins and Audio Apps.

I am looking for 16 GB Ram.
Noise free build: silent case and PSU.
Dual Monitor setup: with in-built graphics. I am not sure if using in-built graphics will suck too much CPU; if this is the case, then I might consider getting a cheap GPU.
Ii have Motu Firewire Ultralite card, so a PCI express port is needed to attach a Firewire card.

I don't know aboutn brands either; feel free to advice on this.

In the images you can see a build I have in mind: let me know if anything is overkill, or below the stadards, or incompatible.

Thank you
Attachments
IMG_7846.PNG
IMG_7846.PNG (175.43 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
IMG_7845.PNG
IMG_7845.PNG (177.99 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
IMG_7844.PNG
IMG_7844.PNG (210.51 KiB) Viewed 2255 times

User avatar
Mr Arkadin
Posts: 3223
Joined: Thu May 24, 2001 4:00 pm

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by Mr Arkadin » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Here's what I went for:

ASUS Z97 Pro
i7 4790K processors overclocked to 4.2GHz
16GB Corsair 2400MHz DDR3 memory
2x 1TB 7200RPM hard drives
2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD drives
NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 graphics card
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

dawman
Posts: 13070
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by dawman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:21 pm

Z170s were tried 3 times and wouldn't keep the ASIO Driver reporting.
But that was using Bidule and Reaper.

Can pretty much guarantee the Z97s work.
I have 3 builds I use depending on the job.
Outdoor rig, indoor rig and travel rig.
All ASRock Z97 Extreme 6

Supermicro Asus and MSI all work.

Paprika
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by Paprika » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:35 am

dawman wrote:Z170s were tried 3 times and wouldn't keep the ASIO Driver reporting.
But that was using Bidule and Reaper.

Can pretty much guarantee the Z97s work.
I have 3 builds I use depending on the job.
Outdoor rig, indoor rig and travel rig.
All ASRock Z97 Extreme 6

Supermicro Asus and MSI all work.
Ok, so the issue with Z170 is that some DAWs don't recognize Scope Adio?
Did you try on Windows 10? Changing the OS could fix the issue?

I looked for your ASRock but it doesn't have PCI ports; I am looking a mobo with PCI ports.
https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?item ... 6813157500

Paprika
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by Paprika » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:46 am

Mr Arkadin wrote:Here's what I went for:

ASUS Z97 Pro
i7 4790K processors overclocked to 4.2GHz
16GB Corsair 2400MHz DDR3 memory
2x 1TB 7200RPM hard drives
2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD drives
NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 graphics card
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
That mobo doesn't seem to have PCI ports either :(

User avatar
garyb
Posts: 21496
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: ghetto by the sea

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by garyb » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:03 am

no, but there ARE plenty of Z97 motherboards that have been made with PCI slots.
Z170 was useless for XITE, but it does seem to work with PCI cards. the thing is, there's really no advantage with the Z170 over the Z97 offerings. that's true regardless of what the uber-geeks might want to say about potential performance.

User avatar
Mr Arkadin
Posts: 3223
Joined: Thu May 24, 2001 4:00 pm

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by Mr Arkadin » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:55 pm

Paprika wrote:
That mobo doesn't seem to have PCI ports either :(
No, I decided to just make the leap straight to XITE.

Paprika
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by Paprika » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:50 am

Ok, thanks for the info.

dawman
Posts: 13070
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by dawman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:44 am

GaryB is correctamundo.
I haven't seen ANY real world performance gains on CPUs/Chipsets since the i7 3770k and I have tried 4000 series and 6000 series.

It's my opinion that there are ASIO Limitations,...period.

I have tried SSDs and noticed great improvement, but the NVMe devices are 3 times as fast and no real difference there either.

Our real world gains were from Conroe Dual Core and SATA III to SSD.
Everything since then just doesn't show gains.

I did see gains on Zebra2 HZ by going from 3ghz to 4ghz since the synth is locked to a single core.

i7 3770k @ 4ghz and Z97s are as good as it gets from my experience.

Paprika
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by Paprika » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:36 pm

For me is a matter of maintaining compatibility in the future.
Eg. DDR3 will dissapear sooner than DDR4. If my MOBO dies 5 years from now; it will be easier to find a z170 than a z77 (LGA 1155)

garryguy
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 4:34 am

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by garryguy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:24 am

dawman wrote:GaryB is correctamundo.
I haven't seen ANY real world performance gains on CPUs/Chipsets since the i7 3770k and I have tried 4000 series and 6000 series.

It's my opinion that there are ASIO Limitations,...period.

.

Hi,
could you describe what you mean with "ASIO limitations"?

I've just read this and tried out since my old X84 Mainboard had problems with more than about 10 ASIO channels. I've just tried with my My Asus Z170K - 64 "ASIO1-32 Source 64" channels and it still works fine.

However, it's nice to have still some Mobos for the PCI cards. I will describe my experience with the Z170 in a new thread, since some of them would be off topic here I guess.

greetings, Garryguy

fraz
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: Springfield !

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by fraz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:35 am

Paprika wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote:Here's what I went for:

ASUS Z97 Pro
i7 4790K processors overclocked to 4.2GHz
16GB Corsair 2400MHz DDR3 memory
2x 1TB 7200RPM hard drives
2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD drives
NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 graphics card
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
That mobo doesn't seem to have PCI ports either :(
Have you got PCI cards like Scope Pro / Pulsar 2 to use on a motherboard with PCI slots?

fraz
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: Springfield !

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by fraz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:40 am

garyb wrote:no, but there ARE plenty of Z97 motherboards that have been made with PCI slots.
Z170 was useless for XITE, but it does seem to work with PCI cards. the thing is, there's really no advantage with the Z170 over the Z97 offerings. that's true regardless of what the uber-geeks might want to say about potential performance.
Question for you Garyb!!! - If and when Scope 7 appears on the market, it would work with all Intel platforms ??????

It would be nice to have all the chipsets to work for PCI cards and PCI-e for Xite so someone can just build a system

User avatar
garyb
Posts: 21496
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: ghetto by the sea

Re: Help me make a new "Scope friendly" build

Post by garyb » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:07 am

that is a question that remains to be answered.
who knows?
v7 isn't available and until it's done, nobody in the entire world knows exactly what is and is not possible.

i would guess that the motherboard manufacturers have as much to do with success or failure as anyone. the computer business in general is trying to get rid of stand-alone PCs, opting for cloud-based apps for everyone and everything. Scope audio is a unique application.

anyway, it's not that hard to put the cards or XITE into a computer that works. there are more good choices right now, than there were 15 years ago. 15 years ago, motherboards were a minefield for Scope users. now, there are only a couple of configurations that don't work. since an XITE costs twice as much as a premium PC and will likely outlive many PCs, doesn't it just make sense to use what works and not worry about it? the alternate choices that don't work won't make any more, or any better music...

Post Reply