PlanetZ@scopeusers.com

Scope Users Community
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:05 am
Posts: 238
I haven't looked at computers in over 10 years! I have no idea what to look for to run my xite with, I just know that my 10 y.o. system will not last forever. I want intell because this old system (intel Pd35pd) has worked so well. Beyond that and the need for pci-e I don't know what to look for. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

c


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Posts: 20962
Location: ghetto by the sea
the socket 1151 motherboards seem to have an issue with Scope ASIO. i'd go for Z97.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:05 am
Posts: 238
Okay thanks.

I see mostly Gamer machines with z97 - 1150

Seems like overkill, but maybe those are the choices.

As discussed elsewhere, I think my track count at higher sample rates should improve with a new system.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Posts: 20962
Location: ghetto by the sea
you're looking to purchase a completed machine?

we can build one....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:05 am
Posts: 238
Yes, I need a complete machine (box only). Want to upgrade the box and keep surrounding pieces.

We? Not sure I know enough to do that, or maybe just barely enough.

Shopping on newegg and tigerdirect. Too many new form factors... mini / micro / atx / itx mini etc.

Looking for a guide of some kind...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Posts: 20962
Location: ghetto by the sea
pm me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Posts: 12754
Location: PROJECT WINDOW
GaryB made this for me and we tried several new things like MSI, Asus, ASRock.
ASRock Z97 always works, it just seems to be the choice for the last few builds.

GaryB's DAWg's will hunt.

Attachment:
SCOPE.jpg
SCOPE.jpg [ 227.12 KiB | Viewed 807 times ]

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/solaris-demos-1
http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/sol ... akt-tunes/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Posts: 12754
Location: PROJECT WINDOW
Also the ASRock Z97s have 4 times lower DPC Scores than the best Z170.

128 Mic.u. is still pretty fast.
But the Z97s are basically Z77 then Z87 matured to perfection.
But 30mic.u. on the Z97 is just incredible for audio.

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/solaris-demos-1
http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/sol ... akt-tunes/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:05 am
Posts: 238
But 30mic.u. on the Z97 is just incredible for audio.

I'm on it. Z97 is in my sights...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:57 pm
Posts: 1441
I second the Z97....my mobo has a PCIe slot that connects direct to the CPU. Despite running the on-die graphics for my i5-4690K, I can run lowest ULLI settings with full 64 ASIO channels enabled. Overclocking the RAM a little bit (up to 2400...which the RAM is rated for, and the CPU only needs 1600) seems to keep any conflict with graphics & the rest of the system operating.

Asus Maximus VII Impact (mini-ITX format)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2001 4:00 pm
Posts: 1304
Location: Elgin, IL USA
jksuperstar wrote:
I second the Z97....my mobo has a PCIe slot that connects direct to the CPU. Despite running the on-die graphics for my i5-4690K, I can run lowest ULLI settings with full 64 ASIO channels enabled. Overclocking the RAM a little bit (up to 2400...which the RAM is rated for, and the CPU only needs 1600) seems to keep any conflict with graphics & the rest of the system operating.

Asus Maximus VII Impact (mini-ITX format)


similar to what I have. I have an MSI Z97 Gaming mobo and an i5-4690K (these have hyperthreading disabled inside the CPU). I haven't experimented with any overclocking. Always wanted to but I'm a noob at overclocking. In fact I wouldn't even know where to start. Any suggestions? lol

Anyway, XITE-1 seems to like this board.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:05 am
Posts: 238
It's great to get feedback. I'm heading in the same direction, but I wont get there until the new year

krizrox wrote:
Always wanted to but I'm a noob at overclocking. In fact I wouldn't even know where to start. Any suggestions?.


I know nothing about overclocking clocking and can't vouch for this post, but I did read this recently

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... board.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Posts: 20962
Location: ghetto by the sea
my suggestion on overclocking is "don't bother". if you really like experimenting with computers, it might be fun. if you are already an expert in fooling with computers, go ahead, but if you want a stable system that always works, just use the gear as intended.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:57 pm
Posts: 1441
In any case, All over clocking will be managed by your specific board BIOS. So I can only recommend to read your manual, or dive through your BIOS settings. Some gaming boards have simple or even automated ways of over clocking, others might be less stable in the outcome.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2001 4:00 pm
Posts: 1304
Location: Elgin, IL USA
jksuperstar wrote:
In any case, All over clocking will be managed by your specific board BIOS. So I can only recommend to read your manual, or dive through your BIOS settings. Some gaming boards have simple or even automated ways of over clocking, others might be less stable in the outcome.


garyb wrote:
my suggestion on overclocking is "don't bother". if you really like experimenting with computers, it might be fun. if you are already an expert in fooling with computers, go ahead, but if you want a stable system that always works, just use the gear as intended.



My MSI user manual might as well be in Greek when it comes to overclocking instructions or tips lol. I've read through all that and just ended up more confused. I spent a few minutes googling resources but never quite got to a happy place where I felt confident to go in and start tweaking things. There was always a "be careful" warning buried in there somewhere and I think that just scared me straight lol My default position is to trust Gary ;-)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Posts: 12754
Location: PROJECT WINDOW
krizrox wrote:
jksuperstar wrote:
I second the Z97....my mobo has a PCIe slot that connects direct to the CPU. Despite running the on-die graphics for my i5-4690K, I can run lowest ULLI settings with full 64 ASIO channels enabled. Overclocking the RAM a little bit (up to 2400...which the RAM is rated for, and the CPU only needs 1600) seems to keep any conflict with graphics & the rest of the system operating.

Asus Maximus VII Impact (mini-ITX format)


similar to what I have. I have an MSI Z97 Gaming mobo and an i5-4690K (these have hyperthreading disabled inside the CPU). I haven't experimented with any overclocking. Always wanted to but I'm a noob at overclocking. In fact I wouldn't even know where to start. Any suggestions? lol

Anyway, XITE-1 seems to like this board.



MSI Forums have a moderator from Carson City, Nevada.
He uses RME but helped me OC my MSI.

You should have GuRu in the BIOS.
Dont push for more than 400mhz though.
The heat is not friendly for audio unless you add specialized cooling.

Theres a really nice self contained CPU Water Cooler from CoolerMaster.
It sits on the CPU just like a stock HSF.
It can even be twisted from vertical to horizontal to fit your specific needs too.

_________________
https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/solaris-demos-1
http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/sets/sol ... akt-tunes/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

Donate to help support this community


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group