Relative power of different CPU's

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Relative power of different CPU's

Post by fraz »

Hello- :lol: -not too many on this forum at the moment

This is a query for people more in the know of computer power regarding CPU's.

I found myself looking on the Intel vs AMD high end website quite a lot to determine which the better CPU's are and which ones I'd like or not like as long as they're not too expensive.

It's a bench marking website and I don't really understand anything about bench marking other than the higher scores are better most of the time unless there is a bench mark where the lowest score is the best.

Back to the high end stuff :) - If I look at a CPU such as i7 3770k on this website it's gets a score of around 9500 points, another CPU i7 4790k gets around 11,000 points and another i7 3930k gets 12,000 - These are approximate.

By contrast some CPU's I've had for many years now such as Quad Core Q9450 Q9550 have around 4000 points or slightly less.

The query is, is this the best way to ascertain which a good CPU is as I don't know anything about benchmarks?

Throughout the forums all the music-techies will harp on about the same CPU's I've mentioned depending what year it is as they're usually the best CPU's for an amount of money that is not ridiculous

Some of these E5 Xeons are crazy prices - But one Xeon that took my fancy is the E5-2620 V4 with 16,000+ points on Intel vs AMD and is around the £420 here in UK which is still very prices but not £2,700+ for a damn CPU!!!
garyb

Re: Relative power of different CPU's

Post by garyb »

in don't think that the bleeding edge is very economically sensible.
the difference in performance is minimal for the extra dollars which are maximal.

i'd just get a reasonably fast processor and then use the heck out of it.

but if the computer is the biggest toy, then have at it! enjoy! :)
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:in don't think that the bleeding edge is very economically sensible.
the difference in performance is minimal for the extra dollars which are maximal.

i'd just get a reasonably fast processor and then use the heck out of it.

but if the computer is the biggest toy, then have at it! enjoy! :)
Hi Garyb,

I don't tend to go for the top of the line CPU's as they are extremely expensive and I understand you commenting on the bleeding edge. There comes a point where it is just too expensive for the few extra points that you'd have for a lot more money.

I do tend to go for a processor that won't fall flat on its face too easily which would probably be described as middle of the road or maybe slightly more.

Like mentioned I've still got the older computers after learning an upgrade lesson on a perfectly good computer years ago that I should have kept as it was which was a Pentium 3 1 Ghz CPU with 128 MB RAM - Windows 98SE. Since then all machines have been kept as they are and used to what ever capability they have.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Seems like speed was a factor until we hit 3.6ghz.
A low watt 3.6ghz covers my native needs.

My i7 4790k is 4.2ghz with a bump in voltage.
Lots of headroom left over.

I want the new 8 core AMD and might get a 2nd hand one from CES.
Easy to bribe folks for thier demos.

XITE-1 seems to prefer iGPU over discrete GPU Cards.
AMDs iGPUs are better than Intel's.

IN Februrary I'll have a build finished.

Fingers crossed