CPU & mobo compatibility

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

CPU & mobo compatibility

Post by fraz »

Hi,

When looking for compatibility I've got to look at the socket to match it up eg LGA 2013 v3 - With the Asus X99 boards there is also compatibility with Xeon CPU's, I'm not saying all of them but a decent number.

Another curve ball is the nm of the cpu or the motherboard [lithography] something to do with efficiency and narrower circuits on the motherboard itself.

Two motherboards I've been looking at, both Asus, X99 Sabertooth 22nm & X99 Deluxe II 14nm - On the CPU support pages for CPU compatibility there are quite a number of XEONS on the list.

I got a but worried that I'd mis-understood something that could result in buying something that isn't compatible. I thought that the 22nm and 14nm may be a compatibility number - eg, if they are not the same they won't work but both mobo's & both CPU's are LGA 2011 v3

Is this just an efficiency number only and not pertaining suitability ?

A computer journalist / blogger tested out a number of Xeon chips on Asus X99 motherboards and they worked quite well even though it wasn't stated on their Asus website.
fraz

Re: CPU & mobo compatibility

Post by fraz »

Well I think I's made a mistake in understanding the Asus Sabertooth X99 it supports 22nm which may be from other processors from the previous generation LGA 2011

It can get confusing as the 3930k was a last gen 2011 32nm - blah b;lah lah
fraz

Re: CPU & mobo compatibility

Post by fraz »

Well this has been worked out.

X99 chipet is for the newer broadwell E CPU's 14 nm eg i7 6800k but the motherboard I was looking at had support for the CPU's i7 5820k Haswell E which is 22nm - That is all!