Sata speeds

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Sata speeds

Post by fraz »

Hi,

I'm just doing my second build!!! - And looking at the differences in SATA speeds for the connections on the motherboards. The 1st build was Asus Z97-AR socket 1150 with 6 SATA connections on the motherboard all capable of delivering 6 gbs is this gigabytes per second?

The second build is a cheaper end of line MSI X79A-GD45 again with 6 SATA connections but only two of them are 6 gbs and the other four are 3 gbs

I will be installing hybrid Seagate SSD's to install and run some sample libraries such as NI Komplete and East West etc...

The point of this post is to ask real world performance or lack of it if a hybrid SSD internal connected to one of the 3 gbs SATA ports on the motherboard would result in a lack lustre performance so I'm asking is SATA 3gbs too slow to be reliable OR

Have people here had good happy results with the 3gbs connections?

It can get a bit geeky but this is the stage to plan a computer or two depending on the variables.

I'd try to put three drives into the system so it's furure proofed as much as possible but if 3gbs is a bit iffy I may only install two.

If the programs / boot drive was connected to 3gbs would this be bad practice? with the two faster drives for samples

What is the best strategy?
jksuperstar

Re: Sata speeds

Post by jksuperstar »

3gbps is still 150MB/s access. That's plenty fast enough for an OS drive with a spinning platter.
fraz

Post by fraz »

jksuperstar wrote:3gbps is still 150MB/s access. That's plenty fast enough for an OS drive with a spinning platter.
OK that's good to know

Another query from computer folks is it's best to get the install drive as disk zero in the disk management in windows. If the install drive was put on a 3gbs SATA connection and the install drive was not disk zero I realise the computer boots fine but why do some people say to have install drive on disk zero?

I'm not a pc tech person as such but more learning to build /maintain my systems
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I haven't personally seen issues with certain disks, slots, etc, being used for OS or not in a very long time. I'd consider it outdated info, but it could be something I'm just unaware of also.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Right OK,

The best strategy then is to put an install drive on a 3gbs SATA connection - Then two other drives for libraries on 6bs drives. This would give the best results ??? - Do you agree?

6 SATA - 4 x 3gbs & 2 x 6bbs - LGA 2011

Interestingly I've got a Z97 1150 with 6 SATA all of them 6gbs - So in some respects better than LGA 2011 v1 but more RAM on 2011.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I guess it depends on how much windows/program loading you do, vs loading libraries. VST/plugin directories can be placed anywhere (as long as the DAW points to that directory), so that doesn't matter as much. Same is true for your programs, but that takes more effort (telling windows to relocate the Programs, Programs x86, Program Data, etc directories).
fraz

Post by fraz »

jksuperstar wrote:I guess it depends on how much windows/program loading you do, vs loading libraries. VST/plugin directories can be placed anywhere (as long as the DAW points to that directory), so that doesn't matter as much. Same is true for your programs, but that takes more effort (telling windows to relocate the Programs, Programs x86, Program Data, etc directories).
Well the programs would best be installed within the installation drive eg-3gbs SATA connection and I suppose VST plugins bundled with programs also to be installed on the programs drive and VST plugins folder maybe be best on programs drive BUT........

Sample libraries etc..... pointed to another drive with directory reference to another drive that is SATA 6gbs

From what you've mentioned this will be best and then see how it all pans out