Windows 7 & 10

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Windows 7 & 10

Post by fraz »

Hi,

What do Scopers think of Windows 10 now? - Does it stack up to Windows 7? - I never like new versions coming out as there is always problems - 8 came out and was not as well received as 7 - 10 is here and is better than 8 but not as good as 7?

Is this a fair assessment? - I ask this because I can mis-understand and if I do I miss out on something good! - so in my mind at the moment 7 is the best!

I am using 10 now on a laptop - 10 is meant to be part 8 & part 7 ! - Microsoft trying to get the 7 vibe in 10?
jksuperstar

Re: Windows 7 & 10

Post by jksuperstar »

I've had good success with 10. I think with 8 MS shot themselves in the foot with the UI, so they made some things more accessible to the historic crowd...more like 7. Under the hood, Win10 has a lot changed (dynamic ticks) and supposedly audio optimization intended across Al Windows platforms (desktop, tablets, etc).

I think the biggest grudge is the stuff MS slips in turned on, like Cordova (the speaking search engine), so you need to find new "windows optimized for audio" help to disable that stuff ;)
fraz

Post by fraz »

OK JK,

Do you think 10 is as good as 7? - Sure you've had success using 10 with Scope [I've not tried] but I did succumb to the get 10 for free window that bugged the hell out of me!-so I've had some success using 10 but not for Scope.

Do you still prefer 7?

With you using 10 - can you use everything on 10 that you could do on 7? - So you are no worse off????
garyb

Post by garyb »

for audio purposes there is zero reason to upgrade.
win10 is great here, though.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I can't say I've used every device, module, or modular shell.

I have seen some of the same limitations in both 64-bit versions of 7 and 10. I haven't seen differences in limitations that I know of.

Some people have had some issues with driver signing, but there's known workarounds. Otherwise, I prefer 10, as I also use a touchscreen, which windows 10 supports much better. Also, my newer computer runs 10, so it is also likely smoother because of the hardware upgrades.
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

Only big problem i had with windows 10 is related to random BSOD's.

Checked log files for each BSOD and never found a logical reason for that, checked ram modules, gfx cards, removed any hardware, but the Xite-1, no solution.

At the end of the story, the BSOD reason was the Ms security essentials, so if you encounter a similar behavior, disable it and use another antivirus(if you are on the internet).

Now it's ok, stable, used it with the XIte-1 for live events too, no one fail.