Be kind to your SSD

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

ronnie

Be kind to your SSD

Post by ronnie »

Windoze 7, 8 or 10? SSD getting full? Don't panic! Do a Disk Cleanup now with the "Delete System Files" in Advanced Options. You don't need all those old restore points and update files. When my SSD gets to around 85% usage I run it and, in my case I get 12 - 13GB back every time with the last restore point intact. Nice.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
dawman

Re: Be kind to your SSD

Post by dawman »

Indeed good advice.
I have used a pair of OCZ Vertex 4s for years now from keeping them lean like that.
Random read iops is still around 80k, but from garbage collection and writes over the year sewuential reads went from 535mbps down to 425.
Didn't even notice a change.
Further confirming my suspicions that random reads are the most important.

Also great for getting rid of C:/Windows.old folders which are hidden in C:/Program Files.
When doing a custom installation in Windows 10 it creates these folders of previous installs without any mention of this.
I always go to Properties to double check GBs used when downloading sample instruments.
Whenever the math doesn't add up click on clean up system files.

Also helps me out by opening up an SSD, M.2 or HDD....Go to view and check the box saying Hidden.
You get to see all hidden folders which works nice for fast access to C:/User/Ronnie/Apps and C:/Program Data where activation keys, licenses and secondary dll.s are placed.

I hate Windows 10....
pastor

Post by pastor »

Deleted by user
Last edited by pastor on Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Like your pagefile tip.
Almost as much as the random read IOPS of my M.2 devices.
SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512GB.jpg
SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512GB.jpg (40.96 KiB) Viewed 2204 times