Fastest CPU for Intel dp35dp

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Fastest CPU for Intel dp35dp

Post by Music Manic »

I have the Intel DP35DP board which is serving me well but I would like to put a faster processor because I believe my one isn't the best.

Could someone tell me which one performs best. Would it be the one with the fastest clock?

Here's the list:

http://processormatch.intel.com/Process ... ame=DP35DP

Thanks
Bud Weiser

Re: Fastest CPU for Intel dp35dp

Post by Bud Weiser »

Music Manic wrote: Would it be the one with the fastest clock?
CPU cycles isn´t all,- cache matters (too),- p.ex. for native DAW usage.

Intel Core2Quad 9650 perhaps ...

It´s your mobo, you know the architecture and what it does ...
Memory controller matters too,- does it support dual channel or quad channel RAM,- memory timings etc.

NI Kontakt loves many cores when streaming samples from several locations simultaneously and doesn´t care so much on speed.
Modelled native synth likes a very fast core.

For some purposes, a fast dual-core proc is perfect, for other purposes and slower quad-core is more than enough.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Sorry, I didn't look at the socket.

But I used to have a i7 980x 6 core that goes for very cheap on eBay right now. It's an old chip, probably around 5 years old. Still plenty fast. I think I used to have a Q6600 before that and it wasn't that fast. Around 60,000 MIPS. The 980x could easily hit around 170,000 MIPS. But if you're not running hungry native software, the chip really doesn't matter all that much. Just don't run a Diva on a Pentium 4 Celery :lol:

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Oh, shizer. I just checked, the 980x uses a lot different socket. But yeah, Q6600 was a good processor.

-Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

Lowest latency (dpc) and speed for that board that I also had was the E8600 Wolfdale.
Reason is back then stacking cores had lots of misses in thier cache design.
Wolfdales were dual core Conroes and they were plenty fast for Kontakt and Gigastudio.
The Quads had faster clocks iirc but were higher transaction time from lame shared cache.
I could be wrong but I steered clear of quads until the i7 straightened things out.