Thinking of switching to a laptop

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ricardo

Thinking of switching to a laptop

Post by Ricardo »

Hi all,
I've been tied to a desktop PC running Scope for years. It wasn't a problem as I had a dedicated room in the house. Now I'm in an apartment and would like to be able to move my gear around to different rooms, eg for tracking, mixing, micing etc. (My kids have the best tracking room for their bedroom but aren't here all the time!)
Anyhow, I have some cash for a dedicated laptop, and knowing a lot of you use mobile rigs, what specs, model should I be aiming for in a new laptop? I'm not very up on laptop knowledge.
Any tips would be extremely welcome.
R
tlaskows

Re: Thinking of switching to a laptop

Post by tlaskows »

How about an older Dell with the proper ExpressCard slot? You can get them cheap...

-Tom
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Does this involve an XITE or a PCIe breakout for PCI cards?

Either includes a small rack, in which case I suggest a rackmount PC & portable screen/keyboard. The desktops just have no power management that gets in the way.

Otherwise, I've used Thinkpad W5xx (30, 40) to good success. Any business laptop will be good though..they are built & tested better than the cheapo consumer stuff. Then theres win 7/8/10 and x64 vs x86 options...
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Thanks guys for your responses.
I didn't think of a rack mounted PC. That might be the best solution as i have a 19u rack on wheels and can just plug it in, whichever room I'm in. There are no steps to negotiate so my whole apartment would become my studio. I looked at a few laptops, but they start getting pricey for twin HDD and getting the same performance as I would on a PC.
R