New PC

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Gaslight_Twilights

New PC

Post by Gaslight_Twilights »

Building an absolute monster of a pc. I want the best motherboard I can possibly get that works amazingly with Scope Xite-1. Here's what I'm looking at along with the perfect motherboard:
Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium Edition VL300A9N1N Aluminum USB 3.0 Black / Titanium ATX Gaming Full Tower Computer Case
EVGA GTX TITAN X Hydro Copper 12G-P4-2999-KR 12GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support G-SYNC Ready Graphics ...
SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E2T0B/AM 2.5" 2 TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) x 2
Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

I want to build a computer that not only is pretty high end, but also that is primarily geared to support Scope Xite-1. What do you guys think?
garyb

Re: New PC

Post by garyb »

i think it's a PC that will primarily support Video, rather than Audio, but i'd guess it will work great.
Gaslight_Twilights

garyb wrote:i think it's a PC that will primarily support Video, rather than Audio, but i'd guess it will work great.
Gary, just the man I was hoping would respond. What would you change in this lineup? And motherboard?
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, motherboard and processor are not all THAT important of a decision. a good quality board is the main qualification.

are you planning to do a lot of video editing and rendering? if so, the mega-graphics card will be helpful. it's the same with gaming. for everything else, you might want a card that only covers one slot. your real-time audio apps won't give a damn if you have a $100 graphics card or a $1000 graphics card. you computer will do the same work, either way.

since the XITE-1 uses the PCIe bus, there really aren't bandwidth issues(except maybe with a few super high-end video cards), so just a design with a couple of 1x slots that are convenient should do the trick, ATX, mATX, whatever. these aren't win98/winXP sp1 days anymore. most of the stuff out there will work, and the XITE probably won't care either way.

as to processor, the difference in performance between a mid-priced processor $300-400, and processors of $700-1000 is minimal, really minimal, at least as far as the audio apps are concerned. i think you're making a nice choice.

personally, i love the speed of SSDs for the C: drive, but a hybrid would normally give a longer lifespan, with more consistent performance over that lifespan and more reliability. SSDs, do slow down after a number of writes. for this reason, get a standard HD for recording to. magnetic media is the MOST reliable media for long term storage and for lots of reads AND writes. SSDs degrade fairly quickly compared to standard drives when there are a lot of writes, like when recording music. i have 60year old magnetic tape that still plays. 60 year old thumb drives are not likely to work at all. for sample playback, i don't think an SSD can be beat.

like i said, i'm sure the machine that you are spec'ing will work just fine. i don't think there's anything wrong with it. i think there is some throwing good money after bad though, especially with the graphics card and HDs.
Gaslight_Twilights

Thanks, Gary, I'll tone down the graphics card, maybe just get 1 SSD and 1 HHD. As far motherboard, just want something nice that will be perfect with scope.
Gaslight_Twilights

Also, no, I'm not doing any video editing
garyb

Post by garyb »

sounds good. for the motherboard, MSI seems to be pretty happening right now, but i think any of the main names Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc, should be able to provide you with something that will work great in the socket 1150 ATX or mATX form factor.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

With that I7 you selected, it has some PCIe ports direct to the processor/memory controller. This is mainly intended for a graphics card, but I've found placing the XITE-1 here (and using the built in graphics) that I have no need to ever bump the ASIO latency higher than the lowest setting.

This works, because the memory controller, cores, and graphics are all on the same die. These processors are limited to using about 27GB/s throughput of data, but the memory controller can be overclocked to provide more than is needed by the cores and graphics. So using the on-die graphics has very little to no impact on core performance. But the big gain is the XITE does not have to go through the external southbridge controller to get into the CPU to access memory. It's not great delays, but cutting out that southbridge I've notice very smooth audio performance no matter how many channels I use at any ASIO latency.

Just my experience with XITE-1 (I'm doing this with Windows8 x86).
Gaslight_Twilights

jksuperstar wrote:With that I7 you selected, it has some PCIe ports direct to the processor/memory controller. This is mainly intended for a graphics card, but I've found placing the XITE-1 here (and using the built in graphics) that I have no need to ever bump the ASIO latency higher than the lowest setting.

This works, because the memory controller, cores, and graphics are all on the same die. These processors are limited to using about 27GB/s throughput of data, but the memory controller can be overclocked to provide more than is needed by the cores and graphics. So using the on-die graphics has very little to no impact on core performance. But the big gain is the XITE does not have to go through the external southbridge controller to get into the CPU to access memory. It's not great delays, but cutting out that southbridge I've notice very smooth audio performance no matter how many channels I use at any ASIO latency.

Just my experience with XITE-1 (I'm doing this with Windows8 x86).
Thanks for that, man! Haven't dabbled into Windows 8, just staying with Windows 7 64-bit