Best MOBO's for Scope Pro 15 DSP cards wanted

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

TonSucher

Best MOBO's for Scope Pro 15 DSP cards wanted

Post by TonSucher »

Hello dear all,
I want to configure a new audio pc, using Scope 5.1 with 2 Scope Pro 15 DSP cards, Windows 7 64bit, on a 16 GB RAM and an Intel core i5 CPU.
I did look through a view posts already, but I am still not entirly sure which motherboard will cause no trouble in regard to the PCI Performance and above configuration.
Does anyone has a reliable advice which motherboard works safe and stable?
Could you please reply with full item Designation?

Thank you very much in adavnce!

Cheers
Ed
garyb

Re: Best MOBO's for Scope Pro 15 DSP cards wanted

Post by garyb »

there are only a handful of socket 1150 motherboards from each manufacturer that even have 2 or more PCI slots. from what i have seen, they all work fine.

an i5 could be a number of different processors with a number of different socket formats. 1366, 1156 and 1150 work. 1155 does not work.
TonSucher

Post by TonSucher »

Hello Gary,
sorry for my late reply. I checked out a couple of new boards visually. It seems that the position of the SATA connectors of the modern boards are in the way of the two, really huge 15 DSP cards, when the plugs are connected.
Do you have a specific recommendation which board works fine in regard to PCI Performance and enough room for the 2 PRO cards without bending them :)

I would be very happy if somebody can post a link to a card like mentiond above.

Thank you very much in advance!
Cheers
Ed
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, but we can talk about boards that have worked well for others. a place to start is the masterverb thread. how many masterverbs that can be placed in an empty project gives a pretty good idea about PCI performance. you can always use what has worked for someone else. i think the last 3 or 4 pages of the thread will be the only relevant ones.

you can get right angle, low profile sata cables, you know...

every motherboard will have some issues to deal with, but from what i've seen, all of the socket 1150 boards work well. there aren't very many available with 2 or 3 PCI slots, so pick a manufacturer and look at their 1150 offerings. check a few makers, i'll bet you can find one that works. you probably only have 10 or 15 choices at the most, anyway.

unfortunately, neither i nor SonicCore has the time and money to purchase every possible motherboard, test it, and archive the results. for this reason, i'm loathe to make too many specific suggestions. i know that people have made Asus, MSI, Asrock, Gigabyte and other brands of motherboards work in their systems. this tells me that the s1150 line is pretty safe.
petal

Post by petal »

I have 3 PCI cards in my now 5 year old system. I have been thinking about doing an upgrade and did some research into which motherboards I could find with 3 PCI slots. It's pretty easy to find a Mobo with 2 PCI slots, but there are not many with 3.

However, I did find this one from MSI:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97-G43.h ... o-overview

It should work, but I havn't tried it myself, so no guarantees.

Whatever you choose to buy, I will be very interested in hearing about it, especially if you buy a mobo with 3 PCI slots :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

others have used that series....
TonSucher

Post by TonSucher »

Thank you Gary,
that really helps. Just one more thing in regard to the latetest boards: Do you have any idea if socket 1151 with Z170 will work?
More specifically this one:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-P-D3/

Thanks
Ed
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, you'd be the guinea pig. i don't know of anyone trying that yet.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes, check the MasterVerb thread. I use an Asus Z87-k with 3 Pro cards and no issues at all. I don't think the cards get in the way of any connectors, but I did have to cut out the drive bay in my case :D

-Tom
Polarity

Post by Polarity »

petal wrote: ...
However, I did find this one from MSI:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97-G43.h ... o-overview
It should work, but I havn't tried it myself, so no guarantees.
I have instead the MSI B75A-G43 since some years:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B75A-G43. ... o-overview

it's a 1155 LGA socket and it's still working now with two Pulsar2 6DSP cards on an i7 3770K system with 32 GB of RAM and running on Win7 64bit (now on an Samsung SSD 850 PRO).
I got not very good results with Masterverb test but then in normal circunstances Scope 5.1 always worked fine for me even under hard stress... (I used also many hardware expanders signals passing through STM2448 mixer).
Sometimes it has given me an "PCI overflow" warning when changing project on the fly or loading old projects with Pulsar1 hardware devices in it, but 99% of times it's just enough to click ok and it goes on working fine...
However usually I use just one or two Masterverb PRO reverb units in total.

If this one works fine, despite all bad stories about 1150 LGA socket mobos, I believe that MSI LGA 1150 motherboard will work great. It has an identical design (PCI slots, chipset and SATA ports positions) as my own.
It would be my choice without much thinking now (I did a lot of research years ago before getting the MSI)
if I should like to change my system.

Hope it helps.
garyb

Post by garyb »

actually, it is socket 1155 motherboards that don't work correctly, and your masterverb results are exactly what is meant by "don't work correctly". depending on what you use and do, the motherboard can work, as your does for you. socket 1150 motherboards, however DO work correctly. they get very good masterverb results.
Polarity

Post by Polarity »

yes, "doesn't work correctly" but "enough for my use" of Scope cards would be best description for my 1155 motherboard.
Anyway I just wanted to talk good about MSI brand motherboards.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, MSI seems to be making very nice products lately.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I try to stick to Asus when it comes to mobos. Never had a real problem with them and they're quick to fix it. Their RMA place is not far from where I live. My z87-k is worth around 60 CAD right now, a steal!

-Tom
petal

Post by petal »

TonSucher wrote:Thank you Gary,
that really helps. Just one more thing in regard to the latetest boards: Do you have any idea if socket 1151 with Z170 will work?
More specifically this one:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-P-D3/

Thanks
Ed
Hi TonSucher,

I'm curious, did you buy a Z170 based system? and if you did, how is it working out for you and your PCI-card?

Cheers,
Thomas
m.my91

Post by m.my91 »

TonSucher wrote:Hello dear all,
I want to configure a new audio pc, using Scope 5.1 with 2 Scope Pro 15 DSP cards, Windows 7 64bit, on a 16 GB RAM and an Intel core i5 CPU.
I did look through a view posts already, but I am still not entirly sure which motherboard will cause no trouble in regard to the PCI Performance and above configuration.
Does anyone has a reliable advice which motherboard works safe and stable?
Could you please reply with full item Designation?

Thank you very much in adavnce!

Cheers
Ed
take care of taking a B75 B77 chipset with:
"LEGACY NATIVE PCI"
don't take a bridged pci motherboard.
bridged pci pass the old pci in a pci-express bus and it bug creamware card :"pci overload error"
64 bit os is not cool because sts sampler and many other plugins will not work.
stay in 32 bit os with a good ram 4 go (g skill 6400 8500)
phil
garyb

Post by garyb »

again, Z87 and Z97 work fine.
garyb

Post by garyb »

a customer to support reported 14 masterverbs on an Asus B85-plus which has 3 PCI slots. that seems pretty good, he is using 3 cards...