More than 512mb of RAM

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

shloomper

Post by shloomper »

Hi everybody
I want to use 1gig of Ram on my A7M.
I don't want to upgrade to Win2k/xp at the moment mainly because creamware drivers only works at 16bit but also because my 98lite works very well.
reading this topic,
http://planetz.ghostwheel.com/forums/vi ... 46&forum=5
it seems that there are some difficulties installing more than 512mb of ram on win 9x.
on the other hand I know some of you guys do it successfully. How than?
thanx
Micha

Post by Micha »

your board can handle up to 2 gig. win98 not. That's all. Maybe it's better not to confuse win 98 by more RAM then it can handle. Runs smoother then. But prices for RAM start to raise again so its maybe not such a bad idea to have some more. You'll benefit from it once you switch to XP (and it looks very much like this is maybe not such a bad idea.)
Happy pulsaring
Micha
shloomper

Post by shloomper »

Thanx
buying RAM is a great way to make a bad day better (:
and switching to XP sounds great
but Working in 16bit doesn't...
I'm interested if any Win98 user
around here made it to install more than 512mb of ram without getting any errors (?)
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

It IS possible to have more than 512MB ram (if your motherboard will let you) with WIN98.
I have 640 MB and don't have any problems.
I've set Virtual Memory Min & Max to 640MB on a designated swap partition. I've added lines to System.ini:

{368Enh):
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

{vcache}:
MinFileCache=32768
MaxFileCache=32768

When I run System Monitor/Memory Manager/Swapfile-in-use
it shows zero activity regardless of the applications or memory-intensive operations I'm running (like large sample progs).
I've tried removing a 128MB RAM stick, but saw no difference, so it's back to 640MB.

It seems these tweaks are a sufficient work around to allow WIN98 to use >512MB RAM.

The Microsoft KB article on the topic:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb ... SD=gn&FR=0

/dave