PCI DSP LATENCY VS XITE ANALOG DEVICE DSP LATENCY

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

m.my91

PCI DSP LATENCY VS XITE ANALOG DEVICE DSP LATENCY

Post by m.my91 »

Hello
i just wonder if the "stream" of audio is the same in pci card and xite ?
in other way:
i see that xite use old pci dsp and pass through bigger analog device for having much power.
but i wonder if it doesn't create latency because the stream pass through 2 dsp calculation.
in the old card there is only one type of dsp so perhaps it works faster than a xite?
have you feel something strange in realtimes recording with a xite after working on a pci system?
thanks
hubird

Re: PCI DSP LATENCY VS XITE ANALOG DEVICE DSP LATENCY

Post by hubird »

DSP is realtime, there isn't any 'latency'
'Latency' is buffer related, DSP doesn't need time buffers like a CPU :)
There is some calculation time tho, determined by light velocity and natural resistance of parts.
1 ms at max I guess.
garyb

Re: PCI DSP LATENCY VS XITE ANALOG DEVICE DSP LATENCY

Post by garyb »

no, that's not how the dsps work.
dsps don't suddenly become obsolete like cpus do. the audio doesn't pass through multiple dsps. only the one or two or three dsps do the calculations needed, just like always. the audio is real-time as always the way hubird said. the total latency inside the box is several samples, which is more than unhearable. it's the same latency that, say, a hardware digital reverb would have. Scope hardware IS external hardware to the computer.

between Scope and the computer's sequencer, there is normal ASIO latency of 2-4ms. this latency is from the cpu, not the Scope system.