Windows 10 this summer - Free for 1 year for W7 and W8 users

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

petal

Windows 10 this summer - Free for 1 year for W7 and W8 users

Post by petal »

I just read about windows 10. And from what I read, it makes sense that SCOPE 6 has been delayed (if that is indeed the reason).

Hopefully windows 10 will also mean, no need to update the SCOPE driver any further because of new Windows version releases, but this may be wishfull thinking.

One interesting detail about the upcomming release of windows 10, is that updating to Windows 10 is free for owners of windows 7 and 8, but only the 1st year after release.

Hopefully SCOPE 6 will be ready within that year. If not, has anybody tried to run Scope 5.1 on Windows 10 yet?

Cheers,
Thomas
JoPo

Re: Windows 10 this summer - Free for 1 year for W7 and W8 u

Post by JoPo »

?? Where is gone windows 9 ??

:-?
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
petal

Post by petal »

They decided to skip Windows 9, possibly to emphasize the shift in business and update model.

You can read more here about windows 10 here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... es-1029245
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

Windows version numbers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mi ... s_versions

I hope free means I can download an ISO and create an installation CD.
stonberg

Post by stonberg »

I'd be happy to pay them some money for W10...on the condition that M$ remove Cortana :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

It does make sense to step out of the boring numerical and alphabetical strides everyone uses.
Emphasizes they are actually taking larger steps, which may or may not be true.
All I know is when an OS can boot in seconds and deliver 100% stability as I have seen with 8.1, not to mention the NVMe and M.2 SSD optimizations, I actually enjoy paying for something I can feel rather than see.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

stonberg wrote:I'd be happy to pay them some money for W10...on the condition that M$ remove Cortana :D
Did you see that cringe-worthy ad with that shitty Clean Bandit band that I never heard of before and frankly not seeing them again would be too soon? Hugely embarrassing.

Are they moving away from that awful tablet/smartphone look with the Fisher Price day-glo graphics?
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I'm gonna stick with Win 7 for as long as I can. I hope Scope 6 will run on it.

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

windows 7 8 and 10 all use the same drivers. they are the same program. win8 has additional touch screen features and security. win10 is just a further development. the point is to keep you buying new stuff every six months.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Thanks Gary. I like to stick with what I paid for and what works...

-Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yepp.
That seems consistent with M$oft.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

That's crazy. I can't be buying Windows every six months.

I remember getting a laptop with Vista once and quickly downgrading it to XP. Windows 7 should have been a free update to Vista cause it sucked so much.

And I do not like Windows 8. I like the start button, although many think it was a stupid idea.

Apple is a bit better, they made the updates free (for now). And it doesn't ask to update nearly as often as Windows does. I think my Windows PC updates itself once a week. I was gonna shut updates off, but I forgot about it.

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

there are different types of updates.
windows updates often because it's the more common of the two operating systems(M$ and Apple) and so if people want to write malicious code, it's probably aimed at windows. those are mainly security updates.

another updates adds functionality or is a new version of the os. these cost money whether Apple or M$. in fact, Apple's upgrades usually involve all new software. Apple actually has made new versions of OSX many more times than M$ has made new versions of windows, lately anyway. M$ is just catching up....
petal

Post by petal »

Windows 10 is a free update for windows 7 and 8 users the first year after release. All further updates will be free after that:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... about&#058;

"We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year! And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge."

I think their goal is to eliminate "fragmentation" of their userbase, ie having to support several versions of windows. The backside of the coin is the limitation "we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device". I wonder how they will handle people gradually upgrading their hardware, like I do.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Ahh, okay. Thanks for the explanation. I was always a Windows guy. Till I tried Apple and I liked it better.

Apple is having quality issues. I think they always did. My MacBook Pro 15" retina is dying. The screen is ghosting like crazy and the battery doesn't last long after just 200 cycles. I'm gonna stick with my desktop for music.

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

Apple uses the same products that Windows PCs use. there is absolutely no difference.

the Apple OS is a PC OS called Unix. the nice thing about the Apple product is that there are not thousands of possible hardware/software combinations because Apple limits everything to approved products. while doing this, Apple is able to fully automate most processes that require user input, so very little knowledge of the system is needed. this is one of Apple's strongest points, that they hold the users' hands. the benefit of this is that things tend to work without needing the user to fiddle with things. of course, this comes at a price. it costs money to have the manufacturer oversee everything. the user has fewer choices(which can also be a benefit) and third parties can be marginalized. on the other hand, there are fewer rogue apps and parts that just don't work.

in the end, however, a computer is just a machine to do the work you need done. many people think that these tools are toys(and they can be!), so there are a lot of stupid arguments. still, at the end of the day, if the machine does what you need, why change it? the hard part is identifying needs and wants and balancing this with a budget, as far as music production goes, anyway. a well setup PC and a well setup Mac can do the same work.

if Apple and M$ don't make new products all the time, how do they fund their operations? in fact, Apple almost went out of business by using the same OS kernel from OS2 to OS9. it was Bill Gates from M$ who saved Apple by infusing money and a model of constant obsolescence. M$ NEEDED a healthy Apple to maximize profits by offering an "alternative". the whole business is a trick. it's all corrupt and only fools, the naive and the thieves that run these businesses need to be impressed. for me personally, it's all practical matters. "what's my budget?", "what software do i need?", "is the computer the best way to accomplish my goals?" are the kind of questions that i find valid. the question of platform isn't important as far as i'm concerned, beyond those questions.

the Mac is definitely the higher-end machine in the sense of a completed product made by a major manufacturer, but PCs are every bit the equal if the PC user is savvy. well, these are my opinions mixed with facts, anyway...
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I know that OS X is Unix. I use the terminal all the time to ssh to servers. I do a bit of Linux administration on the side. When I'm on Windows, I have to use putty.

You don't have to buy Apple hardware. I've build a few Hackintoshes in the past and they ran just fine. It's easier to do than ever before. Now, I don't care about having OS X on my PC cause I'm running Scope.

I use my macbook for iMessage/SMS, Facetime, email and browsing. Oh, and I've used it do develop an iPhone App or two.

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

a Mac IS a PC.
the only reason OSX doesn't run on a regular PC, is that there is a dongle chip on the Mac motherboards that authorizes the OS. a Hackintosh just bypasses the chip with a script. sure, you can do that. a "Hackintosh" is just another word for a regular PC running OSX. Apple made the choice to keep OSX strictly for Apple. basically, a Hackintosh is piracy and Apple loves to disable any such machine that they come in contact with on the internet. :lol:

so much for my blah, blah like i'm giving important info. just a reminder, there ARE Unix/OSX virii.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes, I know. I think I meant my desktop Winblows PC. Can't put a 40 inches long PCI card in a laptop :)

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Never had a virus on a Linux box in almost 20 years of using it. But there are exploits/bugs that hackers find. I had to patch some on our cloud servers.

-Tom