Finally Starting to plan my new PC. help/advice appreciated

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Yogimeister

Re: Finally Starting to plan my new PC. help/advice apprecia

Post by Yogimeister »

Good tip about the auto-defrag ... I will disable that along with all the other disposable services ...

Another question about HDD realestate .

I saw some posts about partitioning the last 1/3 of the HDD for permanant storage.
I also saw a tip to move the swapfile from the OS SSD to a mechanical HDD ... I was thinking of alloting the first 25% of my last HDD for the swap file and the last 25% of that HDD for permanant storage ....

Now, the shop dude says there is no need for that and that SSDs nowadays are more reiliant to writes and can handle swapfiles and stuff .... (Also stated that this is whats done on hybrid HDDs)
Also, I will have
1x 250GB SSD (OS + "main" audio programs/DAWs + plugins
3x 2TB HDDs (projects, samples and misc/swapfile)

Is 1/3 of 2TB too much to allocate for dummy storage ? (Are the platters/storage arranged the same - will that be effective?)
Is 25% too large for a swapfile ? How large should it be - and should I just keep it on the SSD like the shop guy recommends ?

Any other recommendations ?

Thanx :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you really feel the need to save writes on the drive, go ahead and use a storage drive rather than a working drive and let windows handle it. you can even make a seperate partition, if you want to get fancy. remember the working drive, the one with current music projects and their files will be pretty busy, no swapfile there. you should replace SSDs regularly anyway and by regularly i mean within a year or two of regular use. they use them in people's laptops, you know. the swapfiles there would probably be pretty active, browsing the net, playing music, playing movies...really you can just leave it on the C: drive. as sectors fail, windows uses TRIM to eliminate those sectors from the map, so the drive gets smaller. it's not like it just suddenly fails, unless it's completely defective.

all the current versions of windows should turn off auto-defrag on any SSD installation anyway. i haven't really ever needed to disable services, but i have experimented. unless there's something that is actually in the way, there's not much to be gained there. if a service was unneeded and was a significant power drain or CPU cycle destroyer, then i would hope that you can identify the culprit and kill it, but too much of hacking out services and you can get an unstable machine. personally, i'd rather make music than simply play with the computer. the computer is my tool, but the tool is not the point of my activities. others may have other motivations....
Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

Thanx Gary .... Yeah - thats what I understood from the shop guy (laptop SSDs) - and also, when I asked about a hybrid drive - he said that storage is magnetic and the swap file is SSD ... So ....

I didnt know the degradation was gradual and "measurable" ... Thats cool ... But I guess its also important to keep a good image of that drive ....

I couldnt really get any clues about the outer-platter fixed storage partitioning ...

And yeah ... All these half-tentative moves are tips from my last two computers (8 and about 14 years ago ...) on XP where I disabled stuff like spooler service and anything I wasnt using ....
Maybe Im going over the top - but I dont intend for it to be connected to the web and stuff ...
Anyway , Ill check twice and perhaps ask here before I attemp anything too extravagant ... (I hope ;) )

Thanks