PCI X PCI Compatibility Etc....

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

PCI X PCI Compatibility Etc....

Post by fraz »

Hi,

Thanks to some folks on here I've learned about the Supermicro MOBO boards but I find them unusual by comparison to what I usually look at like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI etc....

http://www.supermicro.co.uk/products/mo ... 9SRE-F.cfm

Above is a link to one of the MOBO's which has PCI X slots - Which from what I've read is like PCI [32 bit] but it operates in 64 Bit mode. Below is an article pertaining the technology.

http://www.elnexus.com/articles/64-bit-pci.aspx

I'm here to ask will a MOBO like this work with my PCI cards [Scope Pro/Pulsar 2/Power Sampler]-Gary b mentioned socket 1155 MOBO's [Intel 3770k CPU] a no no - Does not work - But this is LGA 2011 for Gen 2/3 Intel CPU [think 3930k]-

If and when Scope 6 arrives - in 64 bit - Would this enable the use of Scope PCI cards? - A good discussion..... :)-
garyb

Re: PCI X PCI Compatibility Etc....

Post by garyb »

no.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Oh well.... :wink:

I've looked at this other MOBO Asus B85 Gamer Pro socket 1150 that has 3 PCI slots-

This would work with PCI cards right on Windows 7 64 Bit with the limitation of the STS Samplers and what ever else like VDAT? - In other words everything else works......[question?????]

Then there is still the XP computer to use "ALL" of Scope 5.1

The 1150 was more reliable than 1155 right? - I wouldn't know myself until the machine was built if it works or not.
garyb

Post by garyb »

1150 generally = good. you can see a number of motherboards that work well in the masterverb thread. personally, i have seen a couple of defective Asus boards recently, but the Asus board you are looking at will probably be fine. there have certainly been a number of users who have had success with Asus socket 1150 especially with Z87 and Z97 chipsets. in fact, other than the couple of defective Asus boards, every Z87 and Z97 motherboard i know of has worked very well.

in win7 and win8 32bit, samplers and XTC mode work. 64bit, they do not.
32bit, older Scope step sequencers work. 64bit, older Scope step sequencers do not work.

VDAT should work in either 32 or 64bit systems., the VRC may be flaky in 64bit. if you really need to use a 64bit os, you probably can easily live without STS and VDAT anyway, since you are certainly using a native sampler and a native sequencer.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Windows 8 32 Bit - I never knew.....I thought it was all 64 bit.....
fraz

Post by fraz »

I like to cover all the bases if I can - As this progresses its obvious it will be a multi computer set up with minimum 2 PC's control room [or my version of it]- XP or 32 bit computers- on PCI & Xite-1- and if I decide I need or wish to learn something else or use something else for a feature then I need to know how I'm going to go about it - planning---er brain ache----- :lol:

Thanks for all the info as ever -
fraz

Post by fraz »

The point of native samplers like Kontakt, Vsampler, Sampletank etc... vs STS 3000, 4000 & 5000
How does the 5000 stack up against Kontakt?-
Can't the STS have more flexibility than Kontakt and actually record directly in?
Then there is the pitch shift / time stretch of STS 5000 and the likes of Melodyne [maybe others]-but whats the capability of STS vs the rest?
petal

Post by petal »

The STS5000 was modelled after the giants of it's own time:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan99/a ... 00.325.htm

And yes the STS5000 actually does sample :)
astroman

Post by astroman »

STS5000 versus modern systems like Melodyne: the latter has been constantly improved over the years
STS5000 does not realtime pitchshift/timestretch, it's all offline post-processing (most of that in native code anyway)

STS is cool as an Akai replacement if you have an Akai heritage, but the (most important) 1000-format only
plays back soundfont samples, but ignores any tweaks that may have been applied ... and that's about it

today all 'better' libraries are on Kontakt, because Kontakt is 'scriptable' for articulations and sample context

for creative stuff (including realtime use) an iPad beats all of them

btw: the VRC controller simply fails on Scope 5.1 - it crashes in 32bit Mode, too

cheers, Tom
frokka

Post by frokka »

Fraz, did you get to test out the B85 motherboard?

I'm guessing the availability of new MBs with 3 PCI slots is coming to an end soon, so it's nice to know what the options are when that happens.