Steinberg VST System Link

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fidox

Steinberg VST System Link

Post by fidox »

Hi there !

I have a question, if anyone is using VST System Link from Steinberg (Cubase).

At the moment i have connected my main audio computer (master) to another computer (slave) to run some VST plugins from there (slave).
I'm using V-Stack which is program just for loading plugins.
Some details, i have on both machines Scope 5.1 and Windows 8.1 64bit.
And my current connection is Luna II (master) to Luna II (slave) over midi in/out and digitial in/out.

So, i want to try to use Cubase on both computers over VST System link ?
Is there need to connect both machines over ethernet or like i read in manual (Cubase) that i only need digital connection, but
i can't get to work that way.

Anyone have such a similar setup.
How to make proper connection for that ?

Any help would be nice,
Best,
Matej
dante

Re: Steinberg VST System Link

Post by dante »

ronnie

Post by ronnie »

On a side note... Do you have V-Stack working on Win 8.1? I have tried forever to get it working with no success. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
fidox

Post by fidox »

thank you very much for this link, i'll try this next time when i have some more time :)
fidox

Post by fidox »

ronnie wrote:On a side note... Do you have V-Stack working on Win 8.1? I have tried forever to get it working with no success. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hm, i just installed it some time ago and works.
Just, that i must use 32bit version of vst plugins and works normal.

I have here on this (slave) computer, Windows 8.1 64bit Home with all latest updates installed.
Scope is 5.1 also 64bit.
fidox

Post by fidox »

Ok, i have tested today , connecting 2 computers together.

Everything went fine, just what i don't like is, that i can't use S/PDIF out/in for recording signal to master computer, cause it's occupied
with VST System link connection.
I have tried with analog out/in (master), but it's not such a clean signal like from S/PDIF.
Dunno, if i can improve signal with good cables,
now i have tried just with some cheap ones.
dante

Post by dante »

Good that you got it working. Can you use ADAT for a cleaner signal ?
fidox

Post by fidox »

dante wrote:Good that you got it working. Can you use ADAT for a cleaner signal ?

I have just Luna II's cards, one in master computer + 2xPulsar XTC and 2xLunaII's here (slave) computer.
If i had another digital input in my master computer that would be nice :)

So, if a add Adat Luna expansions on both sides, then i'll be able to record digital signal from one card to another ?
And what kind of cables do i need ? (something like this for example : http://www.lastra.si/ostali-kabli/kabel ... ni-1m-7226) ?
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

fidox wrote:
dante wrote:Good that you got it working. Can you use ADAT for a cleaner signal ?

I have just Luna II's cards, one in master computer + 2xPulsar XTC and 2xLunaII's here (slave) computer.
If i had another digital input in my master computer that would be nice :)

So, if a add Adat Luna expansions on both sides, then i'll be able to record digital signal from one card to another ?
And what kind of cables do i need ? (something like this for example : http://www.lastra.si/ostali-kabli/kabel ... ni-1m-7226) ?
I don't think that cable will work for SCOPE ADAT connections which use TOSLINK connectors. You'll need to get cables that have ADAT TOSLINK connectors that look like this:

You can get them here: http://www.amazon.com/eForCity%C2%AE-Di ... B004S5H1MS
fidox

Post by fidox »

Thanks for your reply, yea, i see now,
also like this :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Mountain- ... o+Cable+1M (better short one)
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Those will work. Sorry, I'm in the USA so I sent the Amazon USA link! The length is really for your convenience as it will not affect the signal quality. Just don't put a bend in them! Cheers!
dante

Post by dante »

Yes those should work. Just use a can of compressed air to clean dust out of the ports.
Last edited by dante on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
fidox

Post by fidox »

dante wrote:Yes those should work. Just use a can of compressed air to clean dust out of the ports.

Yea, i will.
First, i must find another z-link card, so far had luck with one z-link card :)
Then i'll purchase cables.

So , 1 cable connection is for 8 channels and should be enough ?
dante

Post by dante »

Not sure you might need two - bidirectional for sync. Try one first if its out of sync put the second one.
fidox

Post by fidox »

dante wrote:Not sure you might need two - bidirectional for sync. Try one first if its out of sync put the second one.
Ok, thanks.
fidox

Post by fidox »

Ok, finally have 2 x Luna ADAT Expansions :)

I'm little curious now about my connection and if this make any differences.

I have connected 2 computers (synced) over VST system link, running Cubase sequencers on both computers.
My current setup connection is :

-synced over S/P-DIF in/out (from Luna II to Luna II)
-recording signal from slave computer over ADAT to master computer

Is there any difference, if using ADAT for synced computers (maybe more accurate) and S/P-DIF for recording signal or is it the same ? :)
dante

Post by dante »

The main difference between ADAT and SPDIF is the number of channels - so I would think no difference at all unless you want to record multiple channels at once.
fidox

Post by fidox »

Thanks Dante !
Steve Fogal

Post by Steve Fogal »

fidox wrote:Ok, i have tested today , connecting 2 computers together.

Everything went fine, just what i don't like is, that i can't use S/PDIF out/in for recording signal to master computer, cause it's occupied
with VST System link connection.
I have tried with analog out/in (master), but it's not such a clean signal like from S/PDIF.
Dunno, if i can improve signal with good cables,
now i have tried just with some cheap ones.
I'm using 3 PC's together with VST System Link, all via a coaxial s/pdif connection in VSL 'ring' network....data, sync, and stereo audio with no problems. The VSL data takes up only 1 bit of 24 bits, and leaves 23 bits left for audio...that's plenty of headroom, and no one can hear any difference.

I have an absurd amount of audio I/O's available, but do not use them for returned audio among machines. I have adat light pipe capability in my audio/midi interfaces, but I choose to just use s/pdif for everything because, not only does it work fine, but it's also easy. I'll point out that I do not send midi back and forth between machines, nor send FX's within the VSL ring network...I've tried a small number of midi tracks via VSL, along with audio and I didn't experience any issues. It's just that I prefer to record all my midi directly in my dedicated VSTi machines. And any FX's/processing is done locally in that mmachine. All I need to do is send a stereo audio signal from one machine to the other via the VSL network, along with data.

I thought 3 PC's would be much worse and/or problematic than 2 PC's in a VSL network...I was surprised that there wasn't any perceived difference in latency. The only way I can hear anything at all, is by copying the exact same audio .wav file on all machines, then play all synced PC's, which I'll hear a slight flange effect, but cannot hear anything strange at all if each machine is just playing different tracks, instruments etc.
This flange effect is of course some amount of latency happening, which can either be offset or nudged later if I feel like being picky.
Steve Fogal

Post by Steve Fogal »

An update from me for the archives...

I bought a matrix switcher/distribution amp for my s/pdif digital audio for my System Link set up. The matrix switcher is actually designed for video & audio (Shinybow SB-5588 8X8 matrix, and I only use it's s/pdif I/O.

I no longer use the Steinberg recommended 'ring' network, but use the matrix for a 'star' network. Any one PC can be set as the master and the other slaves, just by pressing a few buttons on my matrix switcher. Each slave receives the VSL data and digital audio signal at exactly the same time from the matrix switcher, which eliminates the added latency with each computer. I've tested this with 5 desktop PC's and a laptop. It seems that distributing one digital signal through a distribution amp (my matrix switcher) is actually a more reliable way of connecting a large VSL network. I have no need to daisy chain my PC's for my VSL network anymore.