Dell Precision T3500

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Dell Precision T3500

Post by yayajohn »

New home for my Xite-1 hope it works well. I think the smallest PCIe slot is a 8x size, I am hoping that will not give me any trouble. They had a whole bunch of these listed on Ebay this morning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision- ... 1233109141
ShogunSpy

Re: Dell Precision T3500

Post by ShogunSpy »

That's a good deal!
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well I can't really recommend this PC. It is having issues communicating with the Xite-1. Not sure if it's the size of the PCIe slots, there are 3 empty - a 16x and 2 8x. The 1x Xite card fits snugly into any of the slots so I don't think that is the issue. Still troubleshooting, having inconsistent results, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't see the Xite-1 at all in the device manager and I have to reboot everything. The only slot it works part time on is slot 1, the other 2 didn't work at all. No IRQ sharing, so that's good.
btw I did go thru the GaryB BIOS and OS config tips here, although there's a couple of things in this BIOS that are different. I also read that some people initially had issues with the X58 chipset so maybe that is the case here. This is my first encounter with Win7 64bit so the "Run as Administrator" gets forgotten from time to time but I'm getting better.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

I won't have a problem remembering to turn on the Xite before the computer because.....it won't even boot to BIOS with the Xite power off, just keeps recycling.....uuugh.
At least I can probably get half my money back if I sell the video card.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Hi, I've a T3500 here, running two PCI cards (Scope first-gen (I think), Pulsar second-gen).

Aside from occasional issues with the PCI Cards not making a good connection to the motherboard (not sure if that's the motherboard's fault or something awry with my PCI cards - just means I have to re-seat them once every 6 months or so), the strategic disabling of some devices (to resolve IRQ conflicts), and a not-so-impressive MasterVerb score of 7 or 8, I find it to be a generally stable system, stable enough for me anyway (Win7 32-bit).

Can't vouch for the PCIe slots - other than the video card slot, I don't use them.

And have you the latest version of the BIOS? BIOS installer available here:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... 00/drivers
Obviously, consider backing up your drive before attempting to upgrade BIOS firmware.

Have you disabled all Power Management features? There's some in Windows, and some in the BIOS...
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

hi Eanna, thanks for helping. I did update the BIOS and I think I disabled all of the power management options. I will go back and double check everything again though.
This is a very strange to me. When I start the computer up from scratch and load the Scope Xite software it seems to work fine for as long as I am using it. Then if I close Scope and try to re-open it, it doesn't load. Or if I restart the computer while leaving the Xite power on, it won't even list the Xite in the device manager. I'm thinking there's really no reason why the Xite wouldn't work on this system so I'm going to keep trying to troubleshoot it. There didn't appear to be any tweaks in the bios for the pci-e slots. I'm wondering if they are locked to 4x, or 16x speed thus preventing the 1x card to work properly.
Perhaps the simple solution here is to just keep the system running although I am not too fond of that practice.
garyb

Post by garyb »

probably mentioned earlier, but have you tried another hdmi cable?

it's possible that the card isn't making proper contact in the slot. it's one of the dangers of not using a 1x slot.

also-are you running 32bit? uncheck "reset board if idle" in the device manager, XITE\properties.

there is also a PCIe power management setting in the windows power settings that should be disabled.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Gary thanks,
ok had not thought about the cable so I will try that. I did try and make sure the card was seated firmly in the slot, not sure what else to do with that if it's the gold contacts not connecting then I guess i'm screwed
I will go and check those settings in Windows. I'm on Win7 64bit so i'm a little new to this version.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Hi, if you're worried about the gold connectors, a white clean pencil eraser will clean greasy gunk off the contacts nicely..
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Eanna wrote:Hi, if you're worried about the gold connectors, a white clean pencil eraser will clean greasy gunk off the contacts nicely..
Right! I forgot about that trick. Will try it.
Thanks
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

ding ding ding we have a winner! And the prize goes to Mr. GaryB once again. 24hrs of successful use with multiple power downs and opening and closing the Scope program. Looks like I damaged the HDMI cable some how. Hopefully years and years of successful use with this computer like the last one.
Thanks for the tip Gary.
:)
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)