Mavericks and Yosemite on macPro 2006/7, model 1,1 and 2,1.

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

hubird

Mavericks and Yosemite on macPro 2006/7, model 1,1 and 2,1.

Post by hubird »

I have a desktop 8-core mac pro from 2007, as distinct from the 'early 2008' model (3,1).
Both models 1,1 and 2,1 of before 2008 are officially not able to run Mavericks anymore (let alone the new Yosemite).

Yet I had Mavericks on it for several months, and since 2 weeks even Yosemite, everything 100% working.
Thanks to two different patches, which you might know already.

Needed a good friend for this, but it's do-able for the average planetz mac user I guess.
The whole thing has mainly to do with the right efi.boot, which should take care for both 32 and 64 bit.
Plus the model 'code' update for the patch.
The making of an usb stick boot installer is included in the links.

All works: RME Raydat card, UAD 2 Quad, Cubase Artist 8+e-Licenser, Logic X, plug-ins from NI on both seq. platforms, latest system updates: it's all good.

Both trajects of OSses work like a charm, especially Yosemite.
When I bought this mac 2,5 year ago two different cooling ram sticks of a different mark of six didn't work, which lowered the price of course :D
Now, under Yosemite, on my -two times not supported- mac they suddenly DO work :o :) Making six gig, which is enough for me.

This so-called old mac from 2007 is still a beast, really.
Can work with it for years.
It's a shame Apple is so restrictive in compatibility, as hardware wise there's no reason for it.

But...you'll need a new graphics card, I got the in this case often mentioned NVIDIA GeForce GT 640, 50,- dollars, but you will lose the usual boot screen, plus the ability to lay windows across two monitors.
Unless you get a much more expensive Apple video card...

Check this introduction:

How can these Macs run Yosemite?
Apple does not support OS X Yosemite on the original 2006/2007 Mac Pro and 2006 Xserve. These 64-bit Mac Pros and Xserves have EFI32 firmware and can't natively boot OS X Yosemite "out-of-the-box", but are easily capable of running it with a different boot loader. Once a new boot loader is used to launch the native 64-bit Yosemite kernel, OS X 10.10 boots and works normally exactly as it does on a 2008 Mac Pro or newer with EFI64 firmware.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1740775

http://www.tips-and-tricks-in-mavericks ... all-drive/