Creamware A16 (original and Ultra) vs RME Fireface 800?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

paugui

Creamware A16 (original and Ultra) vs RME Fireface 800?

Post by paugui »

Hi guys

I have a set of Creamware A16s (one original and one Ultra), but both seem to be quite noisy when connected to my RME Fireface 800.

Without any cables plugged, the Line Inputs on the RME are at around -108db, while the Pre-Amps one at the front are at around -103db.
In the Creamwares, I get my levels at around -85/90db, which is a considerable extra amount of noise.

Is this normal, or do my units have some problems?
They work well otherwise, but comparing with the RME, the noise level is much higher for a signal with the same level, which makes it more worth it to just record things multiple times rather than using the ADAT interface...

It would be great if any of you has experience with these two interfaces and could let me know, as I'm seriously considering selling them and don't want to sell them as fully working if they have some problems.

Thanks in advance and all the best

Paulo
pranza

Re: Creamware A16 (original and Ultra) vs RME Fireface 800?

Post by pranza »

hej.
it's ok.

and better signal to noise doesn't mean better sound. rme is overrated and overpriced these days. back in the days (pre-hdsp) they were cool, but the more shit they kept on adding, the worse their sound became. yes, they are still good but you can have MOTU for cheaper.
paugui

Post by paugui »

Thanks for your reply :)
I didn't check it earlier, hence my lack of reply...

It's good to know it is normal.
I understand your point when mentioning that better signal-to-noise doesn't mean a better sound, but I have to admit that the extra noise present in the A16 channels end up bothering me quite a lot, so that I basically haven't used any of the two converters that much...
I would rather have similar signal-to-noise ratio coming from all channels, so I guess I have to think about a different solution...

Anyone here could be interested in those converters?
If they are fully working, I think I will likely sell them as if I sell the RME as well I can likely try to get a Midas Venice F 32, which would likely be better for what I intend to do...
astroman

Post by astroman »

paugui wrote:... but I have to admit that the extra noise present in the A16 channels end up bothering me quite a lot, so that I basically haven't used any of the two converters that much...
the A16 uses bitstream converters which process the signal at 18bits resolution, but transfer only the 'best 16 bits'
Creamware devices always show the open circuit level (regardless of card or converter box)
other companies may mute channels unless a load is detected - which will always deliver phantastic figures with nothing plugged in ;)
the difference may also result from different scaling: with 24bit metering the exact same level would read way lower

a more valid comparison would be to record a few channels from each device with nothing connected over (say) 5 minutes
(proper way would be a terminating load according to specs - usually 500Ohm to 1 kOhm resistors)
for noise level you only need a few seconds of course, but gear as old as the A16 may produce intermediate 'spikes' at arbitrary times

after record you either use waveform scaling in your editor od simply add 50dB to make it more visible
to be honest, I've failed to hear a -80db 'noise' yesterday, as the playback device has more hum atm
(must be one extra transformer somewhere...) :D

cheers, Tom