Latency on i7 system

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Malascope

Latency on i7 system

Post by Malascope »

I'm looking to upgrade from an XP 32 bit system with Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.4 GHz & 2 GB ram on which I have a Pulsar 1 & a Pulsar 2 card to a 64 bit system with something like an i7 & 32 GB of ram. One thing I'd like to be confident of with the new system is that I can leave the ULLI at minimum latency (3ms - I usually record at 44.1 khz) while running a normal project with lots of plugins & a few instruments. At the moment I have to jump between 3ms when using an external midi controller & 25ms when mixing etc to avoid overloading the system.

If someone might take the time to provide info regarding their own experience I'd appreciate it.

Cheers
garyb

Re: Latency on i7 system

Post by garyb »

well, the ram may or may not make a big difference, i'd say that 32 won't be that huge of a difference from 8, but the whole system would be a major upgrade(the XP system would be better with 4gb of ram). i'd say that 3 or 4ms is definitely possible, if the projects will be the same size in the new machine as the old.

actually, if you're moving to a socket 1150 i-series processor, i would look at an i5 4670. it is almost the exact same performance as the i7 4770 in realtime, but it's about $100 cheaper. of course, for offline rendering, the i7 is far superior. but for everything else, the i7 isn't worth the extra 30% in price. that means that for the mixes you are currently doing, you won't notice additional performance from the i7 over the i5.
Malascope

Post by Malascope »

Thanks for the response & tips Gary. The projects on the new machine will include heavier duty instrument plugins like piano samples which I have difficulty running at all at the moment. So I'm hoping I can run more of those sorts of things while achieving a 3ms latency at the same time.
garyb

Post by garyb »

either processor will work pretty much the same for a sample player.

BUT-
why are you mixing without rendering the pianos to wav first?
Malascope

Post by Malascope »

Aah yes well in my world Gary it's hard to know when I've reached the final mix stage. I don't do it for a living & I flit between projects with arrangements always subject to change. I only know a project is complete in hindsight ie when I find I haven't returned to it for a while & I've more or less abandoned it! You're obviously far more organised :)
dante

Post by dante »

Well you could use a very basic piano vst or outboard MIDI one whilst composing/arranging, then every so often render it with the high quality one.

If you need to do changes on the fly switch back to the low quality one for arrangement changes.
garyb

Post by garyb »

why make 300 different versions of the same song? why not make 300 different songs? :-?

or not... :lol:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Also don't buy into the unlocked/locked scam from Intel. My i7 3770S was overclocked 400MHz by hitting the MSI Easy Switch on the motherboard.
This is also where you can have an arranging CPU speed at stock, for performance or rendering use the software OC tool and kick it up 4/5/600 MHz.

Intel appreciates it when you buy their more expensive CPU, sespecially the Xeons, but truth is they are all the same mostly, lower binned CPUs are i7s, etc.
We didn't even need the Haswell it offers a GPU treat only.
But the Ivy Bridge are almost the same price, which forces consumers to just say screw it and get the Haswell.
The Ivy Bridge is better IMO as it has just the right temps, energy needed and speeds are the same.
GPUs are the only thing Intel is kicking up.
dante

Post by dante »

Or just screw it and dont bother with the overclocking BS and pay way less for the 4790 :

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4 ... e-i7-4770K
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:Or just screw it and dont bother with the overclocking BS and pay way less for the 4790 :

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4 ... e-i7-4770K
:-?

I´d wish we´d get these prices here too ...

http://www.alternate.de/Intel%28R%29/Co ... t/1063382?
http://www.alternate.de/Intel%28R%29/Co ... t/1128178?
http://www.alternate.de/Intel%28R%29/Co ... t/1143720?
EUR 6.95.- shipping on top !

:evil:

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
dante

Post by dante »

Whoa ! Man those prices so high ! I thought the Aussy $ was sposed to be weak....