Small motherboard for Pulsar I based synth?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Peter Cherry

Small motherboard for Pulsar I based synth?

Post by Peter Cherry »

Hi,
I would like to re-born my old Pulsar I card to standalone synth.

I have 100W picoPSU, old processors for LGA775 (Core2Duo, Pentium4), some DDR2 RAM (PC & Notebook versions).

Which small motherboard should I buy to fit my Pulsar I and listed components?

Thanks for any experience
Peter
Immanuel

Re: Small motherboard for Pulsar I based synth?

Post by Immanuel »

I believe it is very hard to find a bad 775 motherboard for Scope. Depending on your choice of CPU you may not have enough power, though. Also, you could save a new Watt by using a smaller sized motherboard like a micro ATX and shut off all not needed things in the BIOS.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

A friend of mine is using an AsRock as2700 itx motherboard, into a ITX computer case, that is very good for a Scope 4/6DSP.
It features a single PCI.
With Windows XP pro, an SSD 60GB, 4 GB of ram, it reacts like a standalone synth. It starts up in 10 seconds!
You can set your project starting with OS, so a monitor isn't really needed if U use for example always the same midi mapped synth.
Otherwise, you can use Teamwiever or Real VNC to modify your project from any other computer/ipad.
A silent or even fanless PSU is advised.

The case is something like this: http://www.awd-it.co.uk/cit-mtx-003b-bl ... w-psu.html or this http://www.scan.co.uk/products/colors-i ... h-300w-psu
Attachments
Asrock-ad2700-itx.jpg
Asrock-ad2700-itx.jpg (491.5 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
Peter Cherry

Post by Peter Cherry »

Yes, I would like exactly something like this.
But the most of these ITX motherboards have PCIe only. Does it fit Pulsar I card or do I need the pure old PCI only?
P.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

You need a PCI slot. They are not compatible. You can get converter cards, but that will take extra space, cost extra money and it may or may not work well. Go for at true PCI slot. Avoid socket 1155 motherboards. This one 'might' be a perfect match: http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/Off ... abyte.html

I have not tried it, but the thought has struck me many times.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

So the AsRock as2700 itx motherboard is YOUR card, it has an Atom dual core inside, without fan (so totally silent), that provides the right CPU power to manage your Scope OS.
The slot is PCI legacy.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
Peter Cherry

Post by Peter Cherry »

Hi,
back to the topic, what about something like Raspberry / Odroid with Windows? I see problem with PCI connector?

What is the smallest MB / Computer to be able to run Pulsar PCI card?

It would be cool
Thanks
Peter