upgrade time...maybe

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

King of Snake

upgrade time...maybe

Post by King of Snake »

Ok so after thorougly cleaning my cards with iospropyl alcohol I seem they seem to be working properly again. The thing is I've always had problems with my current motherboard's (Asus P7P55D-E) layout. Since the second PCI slot is located quite close to the graphics card. At first I was using a smaller and passively cooled GFX card but at some point I upgraded it to a beefier model with a big cooler (I also use this system for a bit of gaming :)). This meant that the Powersampler card I had in that PCI slot was now almost touching the cooler of the GFX card. Not ideal to say the least. I've now taken out the PS card but I would actually like to use it as it provides i/o through the Luna box as well as a handy jack input for my guitar.

So I've been thinking about just upgrading my board and CPU and have been looking at newer boards with 2 PCI slots that are more conveniently located. It seems people have good experiences with the 1150 socket motherboards so I thought I might get something like this http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/385494/g ... ificaties/ with a Intel Core i5-4590 to replace my i5-760.

Thoughts? :)
garyb

Re: upgrade time...maybe

Post by garyb »

it probably will work fine.

DON"T USE ISOPROPYL!!!!
use 99% pure ONLY!!!

isopropyl has too much water and it leaves a film.
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

99% pure what? This is 99.7 % pure isopropyl. It's especially made for cleaning contacts and lenses exactly because it doesn't leave a film.
Last edited by King of Snake on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, that's fine.

here, isopropyl refers to about 80-90% rubbing alcohol...
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

ah ok. This is the one I used http://www.tme.eu/nl/details/prf-ipa_22 ... rf-ipa220/
Got it at the local radio shack/electronic store. According to their ref sheet it was 99.7%.
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, that looks great!

i'm only being picky because i would hate someone to run to the drugstore and get 80-90% rubbing alcohol and have more problems because of it. you can get 99% in the drugstore. :)
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

upgrade has been a success!
PCI performance is good, I ran out of DSP with 8 masterverbs on just the Pulsar 2.
I have now installed the Powersampler again as well and it seems everything is working flawlessly again. I had problems with this system before and I thought one of the cards might be dying, but it seems now that the cards are fine.
Will test the Masterverbs with both cards installed soon and report back in the test thread.
dante

Post by dante »

Congrats !!
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Hi, to confirm, that was the Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 in your link above?
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

Yes that's correct.
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

I posted the masterverb result in the masterverb test thread. DSP maxed out with 11 masterverbs without PCI overflow. I'm happy with this upgrade :)