PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ditykman

laptop xite and latency

Post by Ditykman »

Hello Z men!!!
I have a question for you.
I'have got xite and it works perfectly with my i5 desktop machine
I want to use it with my laptop (i've got the express card) : dell 640m core 2 duo (first generation) and ricoh expresscard
The problem is : The ULLI latency isn't as good as with the desktop machine
I want tio do live so
Latency depends on the laptop config? cpu? With a better laptop the latency will be better? or better express slot?
Do you have laptop with ulli setting max?
Thanks guys
musically

Ditykman
https://soundcloud.com/ditykman/inties-dream
jksuperstar

Re: laptop xite and latency

Post by jksuperstar »

A few questions:
How many ASIO channels are you using?

Do you have all core power controls turned off? (this created a big issue for me, the laptop would slow to 800MHz when it should be 2.2GHz...and I would always have ULLI issues). Is this Windows XP or Windows 7? Load a power profile that is High Performance, or search for a power profile that has little to no power management, and keeps the processors at full speed always.

Regarding Express Slot...most likely a newer slot/laptop would make for less latency possible. I saw a jump from 15 to 30 masterverbs when I changed from an old core2duo with expresscard=pcie1.1 vs. a more recent laptop with expresscard=pci2.0. I can also run ULLI at minimum settings and no issues. (once power profile was correct, right click the Battery/Power icon in the tray to set this)

But, that's not to say it isn't possible with your current laptop!

Another thing I like to ALWAYS use is Alacrity PC (http://sourceforge.net/projects/alacritypc/) - It allows you to shutdown any service/process/application that isn't needed. You'd be surprised how much more you could do with your laptop! One thing I always shutdown is Windows Explorer, and disable WIFI. Those two combined create hiccups that have the largest latency. I've posted this thing so many times, I should create a page on how to use it for audio (along with LatencyMon and DPC Latency Checker)
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Hello
Thanks for your answer! And for the tips
I have already done most of this things.
I have tried with a 40 asio project and i have optimised mylaptop
I would know if the latency depends of CPU? Express slot? Or more optimization ?
And what laptop do you have? And do you have min ulli settings?
Thanks a lot!
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

And i use win7.
Win XP is berger for latency?
Thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

you should get the same latency as the desktop, EXCEPT if the laptop is less powerful than the desktop. latency depends mostly on the computer being able to run all of it's processes without falling behind on the ASIO audio stream. if the laptop's cpu can't process as much data and/or the laptop has less memory than the desktop, then backround tasks and vsts will eat too many resources compared to the desktop and you'll have to raise the latency. also, laptops have a lot of power saving running in the os that should be turned off.

so....it might be a setup issue, and/or it might simply be a less powerful computer that isn't capable of processing so much data so quickly.
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Thank you jk and Gary !
So latency is link with laptop power and cpu power.
It is what i wanted tout know
I will trie jk tips to see the best result posible
Thanks ZMen!

Ditykman
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Hello, One last question
For better latency results the best is a minimum xp or a minimum win7 (with core2duo 7200)?
Thank you all

Ditykman
https://soundcloud.com/ditykman/inties-dream
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I've run XP without issues on a core2duo 72xx series desktop.

XP is lighter on memory. I think both are stable. So I would use whatever you have. No real reason to go to win7 that I know of.

For either: 32-bit is also faster, and lighter in memory use. 64-bit is not really necessary...you can enable PAE (Paged Address) to get more than 4GB for each process in 32bit OS. There are more legacy SCOPE features and devices available in 32-bit also, that do not have full function in 64bit OS.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'd use XP or win8, depending on what software you are using. XP certainly works great, still. win8 works a little better than win7 in spite of it's minor annoyances. i would expect, XP, Vistya, win7 and win8 to all work with very low latency. Vista, win7 and win8 will eat more resources(mostly ram) than XP. i always turn off the win7/win8 visual features for that reason.
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Thank you both
I will try xp first
Have a nice day!
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Hello
nexs from install planet!!!
With my core 2 duo 7200 dell 640m windows xp is better better than seven