Max length of HDMI cable between an expresscard to xite-1 ?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

auntybiotic

Max length of HDMI cable between an expresscard to xite-1 ?

Post by auntybiotic »

Once again a question to the Scope user ether...

Has anyone successfully run a 10m HDMI - mini MDMI cable between an Xite-1 and a laptop expresscard?

I have had a good search and cant find anything which actually says ' yes you can' or ' no you cannot'...

If anyone has managed to do this I would be grateful to know, and also the name of the cable manufacturer.

Mark

ps - i seem to see that the hdmi - mini hdmi seems to have a max. length of 1.8 meters, but is this REALLY true?
jksuperstar

Re: Max length of HDMI cable between an expresscard to xite-

Post by jksuperstar »

I've done a 3 or 5m and that was ok. I've read some specs on the devices used to retransmit the PCIe bus over cables (like XITE does), and they seem to say it depends.

IF your laptop uses PCIe1.0, then the speed is 2.5Gbps, and 7m has virtually no noise. 10m would probably work.

If your laptop uses PCIe2.0, then the speed is 5.0Gbps, and 4m has virtually no noise, 5m would probably work just fine.

I've had two laptops, 1 of each speed grade. I've noticed a difference in the MasterReverb test, so I assume that the expresscard is PCIe2.0 capable.

If you're mobile, why not move your laptop 5m closer ;) j/k.
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

thanks - and a good question - basically i have two rooms....and want to be able to only have to move the laptop when i work in the other room rather than having to move everything....so i thought that running a long cable into my other room might be the most obvious solution which also saves me having to set up a 2nd pc just for remote desktop etc..

see attached file to see what i mean - top half is my ' control room', bottom is my 'live room' cellar...i sometimes do my own drum playing recordings donwstairs alone so need to be able to control the xite1 when downstairs..a case of wanting my cake and being able to eat it..anywhere :-)

when you tried the 5 meter test did you use a specific ' quality' brand of hdmi cable, btw?
Attachments
scope connectivity w laptop.jpg
scope connectivity w laptop.jpg (191.03 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

No particular brand, however make sure it is a "High Speed" cable, not "Standard". These designations are made by the HDMI standard, and aren't just marketing crap.

I now have three cables: The one that came with the XITE (black & red cable, with RF chokes at both ends) (~1-1.5m), a longer cable for my studio setup (laptop on desk, XITE in rack behind me)..about 5m cable. And the third (~0.6m) is when I take that same rack live...it is meant for a DSLR camera, and has a 90deg bend in it, so there is less stress on the cable (and less likely to be knocked out on stage!). It's not great, because it is the coiled type of cable...which isn't the best for routing through a hole into a rack.

If you can find one, it won't hurt to try out a 10m cable. The worst that would happen is you'll get some disconnects eventually, but no damage would happen.
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

i'm going to stop being a scrooge and will buy one and test it :-) one small step for man ..etc etc :-)
katano

Post by katano »

if you can afford a xite-1, you can afford a good hdmi cable for sure :D
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

ha - not with the price you charged, katano :-)
katano

Post by katano »

next time, i'll give you an A16u for free then, greedy M. :D