>2 monitors

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

w_ellis

>2 monitors

Post by w_ellis »

I have been using 3 monitors for a while now, initially with a couple of (different) Nvidia cards and then with a pair of matching ATI cards. Anyway, I was plagued with driver crashes, mostly innocuous (i.e. the driver would just restart without killing Windows), but always irritating when in the middle of working.

Anyway, I decided to have a look for a reasonably priced Nvidia Quadro card, to avoid the multi-card set up and managed to find an NVS420 on ebay for about £45 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141165959656? ... 1497.l2649). I've had the card installed now (Windows 8.1 32bit) for a couple of weeks and no driver crashes at all so far.

I like the fact that the Quadro series has its own driver set, which seems to be devoid of the usual bloat. Anyway, hope this helps other people trying to do something similar.

P.S. I'm on Scope 5.1 with Xite-1
Marco

Re: >2 monitors

Post by Marco »

thx for this hint, I ve had 2 ATI cards using 4 monitors, im a multimonizorfan! With pulasr not any problem! I think the MB must be good, I has asus, super mb but expensive.

Today I use a k87z c asus, with 3 built in monitor connections. I saved my money, use the internal monitorconnection. Not for gaming, but use 3 pulsar pci cards, working 1a.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

does anyone know if you can set a different resolution on each of your two monitors, or do you have to have a separate video card for each?
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

I have two monitors that run at 1920x1080 and one running at 1280x1024. The only issue I've had so far is that the Scope SDK (5.1) doesn't seem to handle that setup very well, so it just sits on one of the screens. No problem with regular Scope though, running in Windows native mode.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

hmmm, ok and that is on one video card? I just bought a 27" monitor and have a 24" and can't seem to adjust the resolution separate. Probably time to upgrade my video card then. I might have to check on that Quadro.
Thanks
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Yes, that's just with one card (4 DVI outputs). Having said that, I never had any issues with setting different screen resolutions when I was using two cards either.

What are you using to set the resolution, the native Windows settings page or the Nvidia/ATI application? I use the native Windows settings and choose "Extend desktop to this display" for the monitors that aren't the main one (see screenshot below). The only other problems I can think of are if the monitor isn't reporting its available resolutions correctly or the standard driver doesn't support them. I had to install a specific monitor driver in Windows for one of my other Iiyama screens to enable support for its standard resolution.
Screenshot 2014-02-06 14.21.47.png
Screenshot 2014-02-06 14.21.47.png (50.12 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

well to tell you the truth I have tried both. I will have to go back and try it again now that I know it's possible. I suspect it is a limitation of the graphics card though. I did load a driver for the new 27" monitor but it didn't seem to matter. I will try it tonight again.
Which OS is that panel on, it doesn't look familiar. I am on XP.

Dan
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

I get the screen in Windows 7, Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution. (Edit: w_ellis is on Windows 8 )

Multi-monitor support is improved over XP, ime.

@w_ellis: good info to know about the SDK. I don't have 5.1 but may need it for a project. Will plan on a large single monitor.
Marco

Post by Marco »

I have 3 Monitors 2 different res. was never a Problem, One monitor is 90 degree turned right, because I love the high monitor format.

Everything perfect!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
garyb

Post by garyb »

the quadros work great and yes, they allow different resolutions, although a matching set of monitors is nice....

i've been using a quadro for some time now with 3 monitors.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Just for Reference as i like to game a bit here and there. Using a Gtx 660 with 3 screens as in 2x dvi 22 inch and 1 24 inch via hdmi. The card has 2 gb ddr5 meory and in normal use it is absolut quiet. It gets audible while gaming but that is expected.
pollux

Post by pollux »

I run 3 19" monitors (4/3) on an old matrox parhelia card.
Thought about switching to two 27" but I won't gain that much effective surface, and I find that three screens is more comfortable (I run duals at work).

I have them mounted on an Ergotron arm which allows moving them in a block and saves a lot of space on the desk :)
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

I currently run 2 * 24" screens, but I am thinking of adding a third multi-touch screen to primarily run SmithsonMartin Emulator to control a second DAW (PCI Scope, VSTI Hosts, etc.).
Is anyone doing this?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I have a laptop with a Quadro1000, it supports three monitors, but I only have two (the native 1920x1080, and a second 1600x900 cheapo).

I finally ordered a portable touch monitor, and intend to explore SmithsonMartin (GeChic 1502i -- http://www.gechic.com/product_help_en.asp?s=10).

I might also just try running Juce VSTs with touch support enabled (such as the newly developed Blitzar/ScopeSync!!!). I needed a decent second monitor, wanted portability, and am hoping for some decent touch behavior. Is that too much to ask for? :D

Image Image