low latency RAM

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Eanna

Re: low latency RAM

Post by Eanna »

Do check what process is consuming your CPU too.. In task manager..
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
garyb

Post by garyb »

dual boot is usually not the best idea. as you already know this can create some strange problems with programs that depend on seeing files in C: and not any other drive...
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Eanna wrote:Do check what process is consuming your CPU too.. In task manager..
will do. Thanks.

Gary, I'll keep that one up my sleeve for now. Thanks
R
dawman

Post by dawman »

When I first went from 8GBs to 16GBs Windows wouldn't recognize the new DIMMs, so I tested each slot, re ordered their positions, etc.
Then found out the latency was too low for x64.
Dropping the voltage to 1.5v helped, and that raised my CAS up to 9.
But since then bought Samsungs' Green 1.35v RAM @ 1333Mhz, then upped the voltage to 1.5v and now everything runs smooth for the 16GB Scope DAW.

Also is using Kontakt it's really nice that I have nothing but NCW instruments using compressed audio.
I can load more into RAM making the buffers bugger, which allows me on certain NCW instruments to pull off better realtime parameter modulations.
On Chris Hein Horns, yuou can load more into RAM, and this is where the Modulation Wheel now controls the length of section swells, instead of using pre recorded swells that last too long or die off too soon.

My 2 cents.
garyb

Post by garyb »

of course Jim, but not everyone needs all their instruments all loaded at the same time...
but yes, if Kontact instrunments are a big part of your work, the extra ram is good.

aren't there versions of the current 32bit windows that also allow the additional ram?
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

OK, so I've been doing some investigations etc.
Even though I don't have automatic restore points active, there were a couple of restore points created. One was when I updated the graphics drivers, the other was when, apparently, a microsoft update was installed (this could have been a microsoft .net framework installation that came with the graphics update, or an update on the other OS that affected the audio OS). Consequently I restored the OS to a point before both. I then did a clean reinstall of the original graphics drivers. All checks through task manager showed no signs of any problems. Scope was problem free, but on booting Sam X pro the CPU was still a little high. Also moving any faders or windows in Sam created crackling. Then I remembered that Sam was updated not long ago. So I opened a new project (first since he update). CPU good, 3%, RAM sitting steady at 14% (of 8 GB). Loaded Kontakt with some large programs, 5 to be exact. RAM tipped 30% but playback and latency was fine. It all worked beautifully! The old projects in Sam then had slightly higher CPU and RAM usage, but nowhere near as high as before, and no more crackling. One thing I did notice as well, was that the graphics on the monitor with the VGA connection were markedly slower.
Don't know if this makes sense, but I think the graphics drivers were the original offenders. JKsuperstar was probably right. The graphics card seems fine. Also the Sam software is quite CPU hungry, but I do have quite a few VSTs in use.
Hopefully it'll be OK now, although a dedicated audio PC with no dual OS would be nice. Just need some $ for an office PC/laptop.
Thanks to all.
R
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Glad it's worked out for you there :-)

Yep a dedicated machine for DAW duties is always a good idea...
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
garyb

Post by garyb »

glad it's working.

yes, an office pc can be had from ebay for pennies....

a Core2 duo is more than fast enough for office/internet and those are practically free these days.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Thanx. :)
R