3 Pulsar2 cards+Syncplate on a old Quicksilver G4 and OS9

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

alsound2

3 Pulsar2 cards+Syncplate on a old Quicksilver G4 and OS9

Post by alsound2 »

Hi...
Just wondering if a setup like this would work perfectly on an old G4 Quicksilver machine, that is 3Pulsar2 cards+Syncplate and Sfp 4.0
Any PCI bandwidth related problem? Any experience? Does anybody actually runs a system like this on a Quicksilver machine?
Thank you!

P.S. Does the G4 have the possibility to manage a dual-head monitor system?
Marco

Re: 3 Pulsar2 cards+Syncplate on a old Quicksilver G4 and OS

Post by Marco »

no mac supported. I think creamware spent all the energy in the pc for a perfect result.
dont double your problems :D
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

anabella wrote:no mac supported. I think creamware spent all the energy in the pc for a perfect result.
Old Creamware SCOPE SFP versions,- IIRC up to SCOPE v4.0,- worked on Macs w/ MacOS up to Mac OS 9.22.
IIRC it worked also on slow Apple Macintosh G3 PPC machines as well as on G4 machines.

But SCOPE isn´t Mac OS X compatible.

I have a Mac PPC G4 dual Gigabyte Ethernet, not the Quicksilver.
Never tried SCOPE 4 on that machine ...
When I got my SCOPE Pro card, I got all the Windows installation files but nothing for Mac.
I searched the S|C ftp server but didn´t find any MacOS installation files for SCOPE 4.0.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
alsound2

Post by alsound2 »

Bud Weiser wrote:
anabella wrote:no mac supported. I think creamware spent all the energy in the pc for a perfect result.
dont double your problems :D[/

But SCOPE isn´t Mac OS X compatible.

Bud
Thank you. In fact, I would try OS9.22. I've got 3 old Pulsar2 cards and Sfp 4.0 so I think it would work. I still have a doubt regarding PCI...any experience?
Thank you
alsound2

Post by alsound2 »

Thanks Anabella,
since I've got 3 old Pulsar2 cards and sfp 4.0 running on a HP server (with some problems, as you can see on my thread on the Problem solving zone), I would like to test my cards (also separately) on a completely different machine without spending a lot of money!
I knew sfp 4.0 and Os9 worked with the old cards like mine...
Sure I can't hope to update my sfp software and plugins, but actually I need a full working system...
Thanks
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Back in the day I had a G4 (not Quicksilver) running OS9.2.2 with Scope 3.1c and Pulsar2 (6DSP), SRB (15 DSP) and PowerSampler2 (3 DSP) cards. Very solid system.
hubird

Post by hubird »

alsound2 wrote:Does anybody actually runs a system like this on a Quicksilver machine?
Yes, I do. ADAT connects to a second mac with OSX.
Works perfect.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

hubird wrote:
alsound2 wrote:Does anybody actually runs a system like this on a Quicksilver machine?
Yes, I do. ADAT connects to a second mac with OSX.
Works perfect.
Just asking by interest ...

On SCOPE ftp server I´ve found "SCOPE_platform4.5_MAC".
What are the system requirements?
I have a Mac G4 PPC Gigabyte Ethernet dual 450,- actually running OS X 10.4.11 but it´s able to run MacOS9.22 too.
It can also run Emagic Logic 6.4.3.
Is a dual processor G4 2x450MHz fast enough to run SCOPE 4.5 for Mac ?
Can SCOPE 4.5 Mac deal w/ dual processors ?
What does the text-file on S|C ftp server mean (?),- saying:

"Please notice, that the Scope4.5 for Mac OS is based on the Scope version 4.0.
Both versions differ only by their software contents and every Mac user, which purchase the Scope 4.5 upgrade will get the complete 4.5 contents according to his hardware."

On PC and w/ Win XP, I was able to run SCOPE 4.0 and SCOPE 4.5 as also all my 3rd party devices w/ the SCOPE 4.0 keys.

Is that different on Mac,- and when installing SCOPE on MAC,- does it require different keys than the PC versions I already own ?
I own SCOPE 4.0 and SCOPE 5.1 for my PCI cards incl. all keys necessary for 4.0 and 5.1.

Bud
hubird

Post by hubird »

.(..)
Just asking by interest ...

On SCOPE ftp server I´ve found "SCOPE_platform4.5_MAC".
What are the system requirements?
I have a Mac G4 PPC Gigabyte Ethernet dual 450,- actually running OS X 10.4.11 but it´s able to run MacOS9.22 too.
It can also run Emagic Logic 6.4.3.

Is a dual processor G4 2x450MHz fast enough to run SCOPE 4.5 for Mac ?

- I guess: my G4 Quicksilver is 800 MHz. But a sequencer is another thing...

Can SCOPE 4.5 Mac deal w/ dual processors ?

- I can't tell you. My instinct says says, as Scope is just connected hardware for the computer.

What does the text-file on S|C ftp server mean (?),- saying:

"Please notice, that the Scope4.5 for Mac OS is based on the Scope version 4.0.
Both versions differ only by their software contents and every Mac user, which purchase the Scope 4.5 upgrade will get the complete 4.5 contents according to his hardware."

- I have version 4, most stuff I wanted I had already, so I let 4.5 go as it's the same as 4.

On PC and w/ Win XP, I was able to run SCOPE 4.0 and SCOPE 4.5 as also all my 3rd party devices w/ the SCOPE 4.0 keys.
Is that different on Mac,- and when installing SCOPE on MAC,- does it require different keys than the PC versions I already own ?

- Installing on OS9 is easy, as is de-installing. You can edit the main menu of Scope by changing the related folders, or add ones, and organize the plugs exactly like you're used to.
There was just a thing to remember: yes or indeed not restarting from the installer window. Will check later :)
I don't think you need different keys, as they belong to the card and it would have lead to troubles for Creamware then.

I own SCOPE 4.0 and SCOPE 5.1 for my PCI cards incl. all keys necessary for 4.0 and 5.1.

- In case of troubles I have the installer somewhere, in fact I once saved a now not anymore existing company in Europe from worse... :wink:

I would just try it, unless one of our more delighted minds thinks it could harm the cards.
alsound2

Post by alsound2 »

Really interesting!
Have you ever experienced clicks pops or other issues?
Have you ever "stressed" the system? I mean, running out of dsp power?
What I'm afraid of is that such old G4 couldn't handle so many pci data streaming during a dsp "stress" condition...is that possible? Once somebody told me that, so I didn't choose the Mac platform for this reason...
But now, reading your experiences, it seems that it's not a problem!
Is it right?
Thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

you can use your old v4 keyfile with the mac version. go ahead. it works just fine.
hubird

Post by hubird »

you had the wrong friends, alsound2 :P
I never ever had problems with SFP itself.
Yes, I got clicks&pops, when Cubase and vst got to get too big for the processor, of any mac or Atari I've had.
At some point I had to get me a faster mac then.

My Quicksilver G4 runs only the cards, I don't use any native music software parallel. Internet: yes, never problems with that.
All is rock solid, even when I run a project loaded to the max, including 3x8 ADAT + STM 24/48 + submixer + big FX.

I just finished a simple box of triplex and some foam, against the noise of the machine.
I could leave the machine permanently on now, it doesn't harm the project or anything.
But the G4 series were too noisy, that's a fact, so know where to put the machine.

If you plan to use a sequencer with Midi in/out active you have to install Opcode's OMX, which can be a pain in the ass.
If there was anything clumsy on the old OS it was Midi management.
Closing SFP befor closing Cubase (therefor having an 'empty link') can seriously disturb settings, and there were some, with files spread over the system files.

Back in those days, on Planetz, if you worked on mac you was quite a, well, not a loser really, but, eh how should I say, kind of a dummy you was.
At least you was so stupid to pay too much for a machine which you even couldn't exchange the motherboard of.
WTF?

Hard times it were.
I once showed a few pictures of my G4 with the side panel containing the motherboard.
You opened it with all cables connected, changing your PCI layout was a piece of cake.
Man, it was ROFL all the way.

I also remember someone started a topic about why pc's did look so very much the same, and why they looked so boring.
WTF?
So I posted picters of all existing macs at that point, from the eggmac (Jobs first statement after his come back) to the Mini.
Well, it was worse than expected, like wolfs they jumped on it.
Even John couldn't resist to scorn the models, it obviously was just a thing of common sense.
We were parias almost, and when we stumbled around in the problem forum we always felt lonesome.

But that was before the iPhone :D

I miss Samplaire, he isn't active anymore on Planets, as a mac user he was a real friend in those dark days.
But I survived, things have changed, we have an ex worker for Steve Jobs in our middle, and Gary's brother has a Powerbook, so yes, the world thinks different now, eh, I mean...

Kidding :D
Happy new year, didn't say that yet :)

Things have to start somewhere.
Still kute to see, one of the 17 or so remainingt Apple 1.
At least you can say that the box was completely accessable and changeable:
Attachments
apple1.jpg
apple1.jpg (96.1 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
Last edited by hubird on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alsound2

Post by alsound2 »

Since I work with two different machines (just like you, one of them only hosts the cards) it's great news for me. :D
I'm looking for a cheap G4 (maybe Quicksilver would be the "perfect" choice?) and test my cards in there with os 9.22.
Since I'm not going to upgrade to sfp 5.0 in a very short time, I think this could be a nice solution. For the future, I will see....
Thanks a lot!!!!
Stef
alsound2

Post by alsound2 »

hubird wrote:you had the wrong friends, alsound2 :P :
Eheheheheh :lol:
hubird

Post by hubird »

edit to former post: :lol:

My pleasure :D
If you use STDM plugs connecting cards, the Quicksilver is the last OS9 mac you can use.
Those plugs seems to fall outside the international protocols for PCI card standards, Steve wasn't stupid, but he didn't know the STDM Creamware plugs at the time, he told me.
With later models (hybrid) the trafo box is just in it's way, so the side door can't be closed completely.
For aimed airstreams this is not good, but I think even then (with some ductape to hold the panel up) it'll work when using the mac only for housing the cards.
The CPU doesn't get hot, as simple as that.

I'm currently in contact with Steve about it, he's in heaven.
But he's bussy with a totally new operating system, as OSX is the past, he said.
It's called OMG.
(not really meant funny).

I paid 100 euro for a Quicksilver G4 with papers and cd's, including a now still working 19# monitor (2,5 year).
Bought it when the old one got broke, something with the current input or trafo. It sparked, when connecting.
Probably a simple thing, but you can't deconstruct a mac so easy, if you don't know how, so I bought another one.
See guys, I'm neutral :lol:

Btw, what interface are you using on the OSX mac?
Last edited by hubird on Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

hubird wrote:
- I have version 4, most stuff I wanted I had already, so I let 4.5 go as it's the same as 4.
Thx for your reply !!!

I´ll download the SCOPE v4.5 MAC zip form S|C ftp- server now.
hubird wrote: I would just try it, unless one of our more delighted minds thinks it could harm the cards.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:you can use your old v4 keyfile with the mac version. go ahead. it works just fine.
cool !

Bud
hubird

Post by hubird »

good luck!
It will work.
In general, if it doesn't, you're never the only one in the world.
There's only 'one' mac, that's the quintence.