building a new home for my Pulsar II

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Stevil

Re: building a new home for my Pulsar II

Post by Stevil »

No ni fx that I know of. Ill try freezing vsti.

No more pci slots. I have another pcie to move the video card. Ill try uninstalling & reinstall in the second slot.
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

track freezing made the clicks more subtle & less frequent. i'll try the vid card tweak this evening.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Stevil wrote:No ni fx that I know of. Ill try freezing vsti.

No more pci slots. I have another pcie to move the video card. Ill try uninstalling & reinstall in the second slot.

:lol: aren't all the patches slathered in fx? you have to disable that section or it's running.
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

all fx disabled, no effect when running on scope. it's already running pretty clean when routed thru thru Xstation which i am ok with if i could only record. Reaper glitches up when i record anything. i'm recording a guitar line in on a new reaper project & it's glitching on capture. same thing happens when i record NI synths via the xstation into reaper. same thing happens when i record Scope B2003 into Reaper.

Record files are routed to E drive so it shouldnt be conflicting with OS or program files.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, something isn't eight obviously. i've never had to do anything special to make reaper work.

it's not really a good idea to share an irq with video, but since xp sp3 it hasn't made problems in the computers i've seen. on the hardware side, heat, bad video card and bad power supply are the usual suspects. in the bios, it's EIST(Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) and hyperthreading. with irqs it's usually USB, and occasionally firewire or network, with video as an outside possibility. i doubt it's a software issue since it's a new install...
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

what my bios calls "multithreading" is off, as is EIST. i disabled the USB on IRQ 16 & another on 19 since it's the PCI/IDE controller. also killed the Network. no effect.

i'll try shutting down some more connections & see if that helps, before trying a new video card.

720W should be plenty of juice
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

i uninstalled all video drivers, moved the card & reinstalled over the weekend. no effect.
looking at Radeon cards.
garyb

Post by garyb »

NVidia cards work great. it's possible the card that you have has a problem. isn't there a card in another machine you can try before spending money?

why is multithreading off? multithreading isn't hyperthreading is it?

have you checked the bios revision? perhaps it's an older bios rev...
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

garyb wrote:NVidia cards work great. it's possible the card that you have has a problem. isn't there a card in another machine you can try before spending money?
i have a card in another machine i could try but it's a very similar NVIDIA card to the one already in there. i'll give it a shot before i spend.
garyb wrote:why is multithreading off? multithreading isn't hyperthreading is it?
i dunno, i'll light some candles & swing a dead chicken over my head if it'll get the glitches to go away.
according to wiki "Hyper-threading (officially Hyper-Threading Technology or HT Technology, abbreviated HTT or HT) is Intel's proprietary simultaneous multithreading (SMT)"

my "8 cores" dropped to the physical 4 when i switched it off. i'll try switching things back on once i find the culprit.
garyb wrote:have you checked the bios revision? perhaps it's an older bios rev...
i flashed the Bios back on page 2. that's how i got the card to show up in the first place.

i found a card made by the motherboard manufacturer. if the swap w/ the other NVIDIA & the dead chicken thing don't work, i'll try this one on for size.

mobo
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3018#ov
card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... gnorebbr=1

there are also another half a dozen USB ports i haven't tried disabling. maybe that can be this evenings adventure.
Last edited by Stevil on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

disabling usb is only needed if a controller is sharing an irq with the Scope card.

new doesn't always mean that a piece of hardware isn't broken, so that may be part of the problem. i have always had great luck with NVidia cards. i never use anything else. the card you have should work. i would definitely swap it out just to be sure.

you definitely should NOT be having glitches based on what i can see from this thread. i think something may be broken, but that's very hard to say with absolute confidence since i can't examine the computer directly.
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

garyb wrote:you definitely should NOT be having glitches based on what i can see from this thread. i think something may be broken, but that's very hard to say with absolute confidence since i can't examine the computer directly.
perhaps a journey to strong beach is in my future.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:lol:
well, if so, no problem.

hopefully, the answer shows itself sooner than that. :)
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

garyb wrote:hopefully, the answer shows itself sooner than that. :)
indeed.
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

I just noticed irq17 scope is sharing with a pci ide controller. I'm guessing that means the ide drive I have the os on is sharing w/ the pci slot. Since swapping out the video card had catastrophic effects on the os. I'm going to pick up a new sata drive for the os & try a clean install minus the ide. But first, vegas.
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

goddamn samplerate settings. had scope set to master.
slaved it to the Lucid ADAT port & all seems well.

thanks all!
garyb

Post by garyb »

:D
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

so it looks like Win7 is switching my 2 Scope cards around. Yesterday the Lucid was on Pulsar 2 [1] B & today it's on Pulsar 2 [2] B. when slave setting targets a nonexistent location, the glitches return. maybe I need to kick my ADAT cables around to compensate for M$ inconsistencies.
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

Last edited by Spielraum on Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
garyb

Post by garyb »

there is always a limit.

pci overflow on the 12th or 13th masterverb is proper performance. nothing wrong at all.
Stevil

Post by Stevil »

i have yet to run into a "real world" scenario where i'm working on a CW project & DSP or PCI bandwith is an issue on this system.