Pulsar and P4.

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Noctulius

Post by Noctulius »

I'm buying Pulsar II (with STS-5000) and going to buy myself a new computer. Aiming for P4 1.5GHz, Asus P4T motherboard and 512Mb RIMM.
Does anyone of you guys have an experience of working on P4 with Pulsar? Is it working well? Is it stable? Is it ok about RIMM's? Is it ok with Asus P4T?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Noctulius

Post by Noctulius »

Ah, yes, I've forgotten to add I'm going to use WinXP Pro.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

First, Intel has recently switched sockets to Socket 478. You will want to get a motherboard with the newer socket, as they will support CPUs clocked higher than 2.0Ghz, so my first suggestion is to use the ASUS P4TE or the Intel D850MVL.

Next, understand that the first clock speed that outdoes a P3 is something like a P4 1.7Ghz. Anything less than this, and a P3 is going to be faster. Good P3 boards include ASUS TUSL2-C or the Intel D815EPEA2U boards.

An interesting option is to get the highest clocked P4 you can afford for temporary use on the newer socket 478 motherboards, and then replace only the CPU once Northwood (the next generation of P4s) is released sometime next year.

I am running P4TE with 512meg RDRAM with Scope+Pulsar. It is very rock solid, and Windows XP works extremely well in my (limited) testing so far. I am able to run at the lowest latency setting (1ms @96khz, 3ms @44.1khz), but haven't stressed the system enough to know if I will keep this as my standard latency setting.

Check out our P4 systems (click below), but realize we won't sell you the SDRAM solution, only RDRAM solutions, until i845D is released with DDR (as early as December).
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

"The fastest you can afford" - hmm. I would say, that the last 200-300MHz are far to expensive. But just my point of view.

Immanuel
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Totally agree, the sweet spot for P4's seems to be the 1.7Ghz-1.8Ghz. I got the 1.8Ghz myself, but already can't wait for 2.0+Ghz next year.

Then again, I'm pretty much obsessed with faster computers :grin:
Noctulius

Post by Noctulius »

Thanks subhuman.
I didn't know that 478 chipsets wirk with RDRAM (thought they're only for SDRAM). And didn't know about P4TE. Of course I will consider buying this first. Anyway, I'd rather buy it in the store 50 meters from my home than by internet though. :smile: