Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Asus Z87 w/ 3 x PCIs

Post by garyb »

sure looks good...
dante

Post by dante »

So - any ideas - out of the Supermicro and the Asus, which would be a choice allowing a faster CPU (if prepared to pay more for a faster mobo/CPU combo) ?

Im assuming an i7 would go on the Asus but not on the supermicro ? or is that wrong ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

both socket 1150.

that socket is really for XEONs, but there are socket 1150 i3, i5 and i7s too. there are also Pentium and Celeron models.

going with the Supermicro might cost an additional $50-100, but it's probably that much better of a board. the Supermicro has 5 PCI slots, too...

if Z87 works with the Asus, then i'm sure the SM works as well or better.
dante

Post by dante »

In that case its worth getting the SM for a few extra bucks - might just have to hunt a bit more for it - thanks
guppy

Post by guppy »

Supermicro says that the pci slots are legacy pci
http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/ ... .cfm?pg=MB
So that's really nice :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

"legacy" only refers to the fact that currently, PCI is obsolete. the slots are for obsolete "legacy" cards. a server might have old cards in it that a consumer would throw out, but a business might want to continue using because businesses don't typically install new hardware just because it comes out. businesses can't afford downtime fiddling with hardware. it's the same with ISA slots. they are still in server boards occasionally for the same reason, for "legacy" hardware.

it doesn't mean that they are an older style slot compared to "new" PCI slots.
guppy

Post by guppy »

I thought that legacy meant the pci bandwith were full working ones as they aren't pci-express emulated.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, it does not.

legacy=obsolete.

even the faux PCI slots probably have the proper total amount of bandwidth. that's only a small part of the story. there are time and timing issues as well. there are numbers for a burst of data and for sustained data flow. how well the controller chipset manages available bandwidth is also crucial.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

I'm currently waiting for an Asus Z87-card with 2 PCI-slots (There are several varieties of thie card, i went for the Z87-PLUS), I'll hopefully be able to do a test before/during the coming weekend.

For reference it will be equipped with 256GB SSD drive, 16GB RAM and and an i7-4770K CPU to accompany a LunaII + 6dsp XTC card.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
next to nothing

First report (and not a shocking one, i kind of suspected it) is if you run two modern graphics cards in SLI, both PCI ports will be covered on this mobo :) I guessed that before buying seeing the layout pictures, but once i get it up and running i will see if i can run a test using integrated gfx, and if that works well it might be a good alternative, maybe fitted with a low-profile gfx card.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
pwhitmaker

Post by pwhitmaker »

next to nothing wrote:First report (and not a shocking one, i kind of suspected it) is if you run two modern graphics cards in SLI, both PCI ports will be covered on this mobo :) I guessed that before buying seeing the layout pictures, but once i get it up and running i will see if i can run a test using integrated gfx, and if that works well it might be a good alternative, maybe fitted with a low-profile gfx card.
Thats why I choosed ASUS Z87K.
next to nothing

Wise move if its a scope daw, i went for pcie bandwith on this one. Ill make the old pc my scopemachine, keepimg it pure 32bit as scope5.1 is never going to be fixed for 64bit. Linking them up, doing processorheavy thing on the nw one will probably be the best :)

Did you do a masterverb test by the way?
pwhitmaker

Post by pwhitmaker »

next to nothing wrote:Wise move if its a scope daw, i went for pcie bandwith on this one. Ill make the old pc my scopemachine, keepimg it pure 32bit as scope5.1 is never going to be fixed for 64bit. Linking them up, doing processorheavy thing on the nw one will probably be the best :)

Did you do a masterverb test by the way?
Yes, here it is:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... 80#p296680
next to nothing

ah, didn't see that one. anyway, canceling the 1st gen card MIGHT improve the bandwith, revealing if its the p1 which is bottlenecking or the mobo.
pwhitmaker

Post by pwhitmaker »

next to nothing wrote:ah, didn't see that one. anyway, canceling the 1st gen card MIGHT improve the bandwith, revealing if its the p1 which is bottlenecking or the mobo.
Yes, but it works fine in normal use so I keep using both cards.
And 5.1 works fine on my new PC with Win8 64 bit also. The only thing that doesn't work is the samplers. Thats a little bit unfortunately but I can live with it.
guppy

Post by guppy »

pwhitmaker

Post by pwhitmaker »

guppy wrote:This z87 one has 4 pci:
http://www.gigabyte.fr/products/product ... id=4570#ov

:)
But not an ASUS! :wink:
garyb

Post by garyb »

Gigabyte is probably a better board these days....
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's another more meat & potatoes board w/ 3 x 32bit PCIs...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainbo ... z87-k.html
dante

Post by dante »

Has anyone done the MasterVerb test on either the ASUS Z87 or the SuperMicro X10SLA-F ?