Successful LGA 2011 w/virtuvia pci expasion

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

bcslaam

Successful LGA 2011 w/virtuvia pci expasion

Post by bcslaam »

Here is my build that is getting a modest 9 masterverb pro on the test (nothing else in project and@48k):

Asrock X79 Extreme6
i7 3930k @ 4.2ghz, HT disabled, will soon be testing with ht on
32gb gskill trident (asrock approved) @ 1833ghz, higher and the mb wouldnt post even though they are 2400ghz (perhaps cause they run at 1.65v)
gigabyte radeon 7750 plus 5450 silent, to give 4 monitors, soon to be just the 7750 with amd approved active mini dp to dvi adapters (tried others to no avail)
win8 x64, scope 5.1 x64, scope pro 15dsp + 6dsp (dated 2003) both running 24 ADAT i/o, slot 1+2 of VV
VirtuVia 4 slot ATX PCIe to PCI expansion board, old p4 case, 300w PSU, PCIe card in PCIe slot 4 (16x, end slot) after much trial and error. Other slots gave 4 masterverbs.

Running the ULLI on 2nd fastest setting no pops. Happily running Protools 10.3.5, Reaper 4.402, Live 8.4, VEPro on other pc farms (ie heavy lan use)

I'm stoked that I have the scope cards running on pcie and can move forward with modern systems. Onward scope!! The Asrock mb does have 2 pci slots which I was running the cards on for a while but it was just too touchy and pci performance was low. 3 or 4 masterverbs. In hindsight I would buy a gigabyte or asus pure pcie mb and use my vv.

I couldnt wait for Haswell because I had to continue a big surround project that was having performance problems on my old GA P35C DS3R/e6600/win8x64/scope5.1x64 system.

Regards
firubbi

Re: Successful LGA 2011 w/virtuvia pci expasion

Post by firubbi »

cooooL bro.. im really interested to do the same configuration :D
Q. how about 64GB memory
Q. how much power that it require? which power supper you're using?
Q. i want to install: 1 powercore-6000 (400firewire)/ 1 Duende/pcie/ 1 scope 6dsp pci .... do you think all this will run ..
Q. whats the difference between X79 Extreme9 and 6?

my current setup is: intel_dp35/xp/4gb/ and all 3 cards are running ok.
virtuvia pci expansion looks promising

does all this pcie slots has its own IRQ's?
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

can you install a pcie 2.0 x1 card into PCIE 3.0 x16 slots ?... like duende pcie 1x card....
bcslaam

Post by bcslaam »

the current cheaper x79 boards can take 64gb ram but I don't think you should try and use more than 4 sticks of any ram that runs at 1.65v. if they run at 1.35v then it should be alright. going on what scott at ask says at gearslutz.

if it is a supermocro or expensive sever board then higher voltage ram should be alright. with 8 sticks.

i would use a 550w psu because of the FireWire.

afaik. pcie versions and slots are all compatible. they adjust to the lowest denominator if they physically fit. a smaller 1x fits in a 16x slot.

in my case it certainly worked. I would recommend. a virtuvia atx but not their boxes.

get a fully pcie mother. board though and avoid extra bridging.

I think it was the motherboard that stopped me from getting more master verbs not the vv