To Mac or not to Mac....

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

That is the question. I've read all the threads about G3s and G4s. Ok, I'll need lots of RAM, what else? If I go to MAC, am I trading one bunch of problems for another friggin' headache? I know in other threads I have recommended the use of Macs instead of PCs but this is because of a couple of friends who keep hounding me.
The real question is: What are the most problematic sides to using Pulsar 2 with a MAC.
Thanks guys!
Paul
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Probably the fact that software updates from creamware don't come as fast.

But apart that, i would not care if it's a PC or MAC, if it does what you want.

I have a preference of PC, cuz i know them alot, a work everyday with them, for the last 15 years (yeah, at that times i was using 8086 10mhz!)

My dayjob is programming...
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

Probably the fact that software updates from creamware don't come as fast.
hEheh, Could it be that the mac releases aren't that buggy?

I'd go for mac, powerful, but yet innocent little creatures... mac OS X is awesome!

FINALLY UNIX FOR MUSIC!! Logic audio 5 will be OS X ready, and midiman has all their drivers ported to OS X, now waiting for Creamware to do the same! THIS ROCKS! UNIX ROCKS, MAC OS X ROCKS! eheh
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

If you've got a mac you don't need to know much about bios settings, register file cleanup and finally it is easier to keep the contents of the OS in order. And the most important thing (for Pulsar users) is you get better ulli settings without the need to tweak anything ( I get 4ms on my machine and probably I could get 3 but I'm a bit afraid). But I'm not in any anti-Pc league :wink:
coc999

Post by coc999 »

Hi,no problem with the 2.04 version.
Sometimes the screen freeze but it is when i push to the limits of the 4 dsp's and when i have loud projects with cubase.
As soon as possible i will add some ram
maybe put 512mo(now i am at 384).
I can not find major defaults with the mac
version:In my projects for midi i stay a basic user,i am not programming lot of functions,for audio recording it sounds!!!!
in conclusion for what i need it is ok with my mac.Maybe a default :smile: is that i suppose there is less device devellopers for mac than for pc plateforms.
:smile:bye
garyb

Post by garyb »

computers solve and then make problems.macs are not magic,just nice machines.one can also make a nice pc.with a mac you don't have to be as careful about parts.it'll still give you hell if you let it.
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

The main drawback with Pulsar on a Mac is that you don't have the same high PCI throughput as some Pc:s.
The advantage (besides being a Mac :smile: ) is that you can have lower latency.
And if you buy a Mac your pretty sure that it works. No VIA motherboards on Macs :smile:
Other than that it is pretty much whether you per a Mac or PC.
No clear winner this time.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

What latency do you get on Mac? For reference, 4ms is possible on windows (700mhz+) with a mk2 card :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-10-30 09:46 ]</font>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

As I said before in this thread - I get 4ms/44.1kHz without ANY problem (and with no system tweaks :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2001-10-30 09:58 ]</font>
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Thanks to all of you for your replies. One question comes to mind though.
Is the Pulsar 2 the real problem-monger?
It looks like using a MAC isn't going to be that much of a change from using a PC. I say that in the sense, again, of trading one set of problems for another.
Does anyone have a clear-cut answer/recommendation?
Thanks!
Paul :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2001-10-30 09:58 ]</font>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

One question comes to mind though.

It looks like using a MAC isn't going to be that much of a change from using a PC. I say that in the sense, again, of trading one set of problems for another.
Does anyone have a clear-cut answer/recommendation?
The answer is in your words, It's like with the well known old-timer question: what was the first: an egg or a han?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2001-10-30 10:05 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I think both platform system tweaks for audio are pretty well documented, it should be easy to get them both performing well at this point...
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

So all we have to do is wait for Creamware to come out with the Mac OS X drivers, right?
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

According to Subhuman... Yeah, me and my work-friend have CW boards on Mac (me) and PC (him) - and we can live quite in a harmony ( :smile: ) and our knowledge doubles caused by our experience (and I always try to share my skills here and on CW forum as well as many of you do :smile:.

According to Paul - it's similar situation to that PC users wait for W2K and XP drivers. Perhaps OSX is more stabile but drivers only don't solve all problems - we should wait for OSX Cubase release, too (or Logic)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2001-10-30 10:33 ]</font>
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

I recieved a note from a tech at emagic; Next logic release will be for OS X aswell. :smile:

CW; make 'em OSX drivers! WohooOo..!
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

WooHoo louder, Air. They just might hear you at CW. :razz:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2001-10-31 12:19 ]</font>
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

Yea, can't wait to move on to OS X :smile: