Combo Video/Audio machine?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Dr. Bolide

Combo Video/Audio machine?

Post by Dr. Bolide »

Have not been back for a long time, great to see this wonderful board is still roasting along.

We have assembled a video production machine that works great with both Mac and Windows.

I haven't touched my Pulsar 2 audio machine for many years, but it's time to move into more power.

I still like the Pulsar 2 and the whole Scope production environment for cranking 22 minutes of underscore locked to picture every week. I was wondering if anyone had any idea if we could just clone a second machine, upgrade to the newest Scope software and move ahead with a dual purpose machine, or if it might be best to build a dedicated audio machine.

Here's the specs on what we would clone for a dual video/audio machine.

Type Item
CPU Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Corsair Hydro Series H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage Sandisk 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Case Antec P280 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

The board seems to have the right PCI stuff, but the chip sets?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks,

Craig

http://www.RoundhouseShows.com
Mr Arkadin

Re: Combo Video/Audio machine?

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I can't help on your specifics, but have you considered getting an XITE-1? Not sure if you're aware of them as you've been away so long.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, they claim they fixed PCI issues in the latest 1155 motherboards, but i haven't seen it yet. it MIGHT work depending on how you use it, but i would think the Pulsar card won't be very happy there...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:yeah, they claim they fixed PCI issues in the latest 1155 motherboards, but i haven't seen it yet. it MIGHT work depending on how you use it, but i would think the Pulsar card won't be very happy there...
Yes, I don´t believe we´ll see REAL native PCI support on modern motherboards anymore.
I´d always use old PCI cards in old machines and run a modern fast machine in addition.
The best machine I had for SCOPE PCI was ASUS P4T-E mobo w/ RAMBUS RAM and if I´d have the skills to fix motherboards I´d take that again all day.
I think, the recommendation of older HP server machines was/is cool too.

Buying XITE and using a PCIe machine is most hassle free for the future IMO.
Even XITE-1D is a big improvement over any SCOPE PCI card.

Bud
Dr. Bolide

Post by Dr. Bolide »

Thanks for the info.

I was kind of thinking my trusty Pulsar2 card might well be a victim of the techno treadmill. I may just go ahead with the build on that second machine 'cause those specs work pretty well for video FX, and try the Pulsar just to see how it likes it. If it's in agony, I'll move on to plan B with the newer hardware.

It sure was great when Creamware had an office here in Vancouver and I could just go and weep openly in public if I had an issue.http://forums.planetz.com/:D

Thanks again for your time on this,

Craig
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you have an issue, pm me....