OS Drive + Apps

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

OS Drive + Apps

Post by dawman »

I have been using the Seagate Momentus 2.5" SATA II Hybrid drive.
It speeds up the Scope Loads somewhat, but the PC starts and shuts down now in 8 seconds.
After booting the drive around 15 times, the smart cache ( 4GB Flash NAND ) gets really fast once it remembers what you ae doing.
THe DSP rack improved too, I can't tell by how much, but does load quicker, but those painfully slow shut downs are gone.
This is worth the 89 USD I spent on it, plus 500GBs is a nice chunk of storage data.
ehasting

Re: OS Drive + Apps

Post by ehasting »

Thanks for the tips!!
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
dawman

Re: OS Drive + Apps

Post by dawman »

Well I was wrong about how this smart caching works. From what I read on the internet (Bonjour) it was 12 boots and then that was it.
This DAW has been really impressing me even though anyone worried about noise would not want this Swamp Cooler due to it's noise.
But Scope opens quicker, about half of the time, then my usual endlessly long projects allowed me enough time to make coffee as they closed, then another walk to the mailbox as Windoze closed.

My conclusions are this, keep in mind this is SATA II Momentus XL, not even the SATA III version.

Start up is fast 10-12 seconds, Scope Loads in half of the time. Then Scope closes almost immediately as my Live Bar disappears within 1 second, then shut down time is 6 seconds now, so this Hybrid has probably reached it's threshold, and in all homesty I knew it would out do the Raptor I had, but this is a really unexpected treat.

For 85 bucks, it is an excellent upgrade. Maybe when SSDs can handle re writes on a consistent basis, I might get one in a year or so, as I don;t see a need for the OS + Apps to get much faster than this little 2.5" Gem.