Does Matrox G-550 is better then G-450?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Signal X

Post by Signal X »

I want to buy Matrox dual head AGP adapter.
I know that G-450 is recommended and would
like to know if the new 550 is also good.

Thanx
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

I also had an eye on the matrox 450, but looking around a little bit brought me to the ATI Radeon series that are dual-head, too, and seem to perform a bit handier. And the Radeon VE is about 40 Euros cheaper...
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

ATI have wasted enough of my time (I put them in the same bin as VIA, fwiw), they do have good products, it's simply the driver support that has driven me away from touching their products again. They still do this too, even with their new 8500 card. nVidia is what I suggest, but Matrox if Dualhead is the main feature you're looking at.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-10-25 12:35 ]</font>
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Oh, I still have the ATI Rage at the moment, and I have absolutely no, not even the shadow of a problem with it, its drivers and the performance are just wonderful. But I used to have a Matrox before and had several problems with its drivers and compatibility, in fact, it´s the matrox drivers that made me mad sometimes... So, you say it´s opposite of my experience, hmm, that makes me think.
Well I have already ordered the Radeon VE, as soon as I´ll have the first probs with it, I promise, I´ll remember your words then. Let´s just wait and see what happens.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I had some Matrox issues in the past too (G200 years ago), but the G450 is a great card... But you're right, nVidia has the best drivers of all, I think this is one reason people are excited about the "nForce" chipset.
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Ok, I put in the Radeon VE today, and it works perfectly! I also checked for latest drivers, and the newest is just 12 days old.
Hell, I think it really is even quite a bit faster than the G450...
I believe my choice was right.