Kontakt 5 to respond to LPD8

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ricardo

Kontakt 5 to respond to LPD8

Post by Ricardo »

Anyone know how to get Kontakt 5 to respond to LPD8 as a VSTi within my DAW (Samplitude)? It responds to my MIDI keyboard via XITE but not the LPD8 (USB). It's listed as a MIDI input but 'no response' Do I need to prioritise MIDI inputs or disable the Scope MIDI temporarily........? May be I'm missing a process somewhere, as I'm a complete no-brain when it comes to MIDI. It works with K5 and XITE as a stand alone, but if my DAW is open or opened, the ASIO drivers are dropped making it impossible to lay down tracks.
R
siriusbliss

Re: Kontakt 5 to respond to LPD8

Post by siriusbliss »

To get USB routing into Samplitude you'll have to use something like MIDI-OX to get Samplitude to see the USB port because Scope doesn't see the USB ports on your computer.

So essentially Samplitude will see USB separate from Scope.
Samplitude WILL see Scope's MIDI ports separately as well.

So you can setup channel input in Samplitude to EITHER the USB OR Scope MIDI.

Then VSTi's in Samplitude won't care where the MIDI controller input is coming from.

I also presume that there are little USB-to-MIDI port hardware translation interfaces out there, but in the meantime I recommend trying MIDI-OX first.

Greg
garyb

Post by garyb »

to just use a usb midi interface of any kind, you shouldn't need to do anything more than to load the drivers and enable the ports in the sequencer. you should be able to choose Scope midi or usb midi seperately on any sequencer midi track. you probably can't use both at the same time, except on different tracks.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Thanx Sirius and Gary,
I'll keep trying and look into the MIDI-OX. Sam is recognizing the LPD8 and XITE MIDI no problem so there must be a simple solution.
R
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Well, that was a confusing experience. I installed MIDI-OX OK. Once I opened SAM X PRO and Scope, I tried to get the LPD8 happening. At first it told me there was not enough memory to include the LPD8. Then I disabled the XITE MIDI ports and got the LPD8 happening.....only, I couldn't program any more MIDI channels, leaving me with only one channel. Thinking I'd go back and reinstate the XITE MIDI 1 & 2, these had been knocked out by 'an external error'. Basically it was all a bit unstable, sometimes sort of working and sometimes getting nowhere.
Is this a W7 64 bit issue? Or may be I have something configured wrongly? I'm quite confused, especially with the not being able to program a different MIDI channel.
Can anyone cast any light on this?
R
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Ricardo wrote:Well, that was a confusing experience. I installed MIDI-OX OK. Once I opened SAM X PRO and Scope, I tried to get the LPD8 happening. At first it told me there was not enough memory to include the LPD8. Then I disabled the XITE MIDI ports and got the LPD8 happening.....only, I couldn't program any more MIDI channels, leaving me with only one channel. Thinking I'd go back and reinstate the XITE MIDI 1 & 2, these had been knocked out by 'an external error'. Basically it was all a bit unstable, sometimes sort of working and sometimes getting nowhere.
Is this a W7 64 bit issue? Or may be I have something configured wrongly? I'm quite confused, especially with the not being able to program a different MIDI channel.
Can anyone cast any light on this?
Try posting your system spec., and maybe a screenshot of your project.
I'm now suspecting a driver conflict in your system.

Does Samplitude see your LP USB input without Scope running?

G
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

if you wan to use the midi port, then in samplitude don't select both midi and usb as input devices, just xite midi

if you want to use the usb input, then in samplitude select only the usb LPD8 as input device

the virtual midi driver is not needed in this situation, it is useful if you need to route midi devices inside windows.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

THanks djmicron,
This is true but my problem is switching from XITE MIDI to LPD8 as the [All] doesn't work. Switching off is OK. Re enabling however doesn't work. So if I want to do some drum tracks on LPD8 for example, then switch to some keyboard, at the moment the only way is to completely close Sam and Scope then re open to reset the drivers. I was hoping MIDI-OX would solve this problem. I feel Siriusbliss could be right. The MIDI to Scope is not affected. I had the B-2003 connected just to check for that.

Sirius here is my project and specs:
I'm running W7 64 on intel i7 2600 3.40GHz
GA-Z68X-UD3R MoBo
8Gb RAM
ASUS Graphics GT520 1GB
No previous issues experienced. I could disable a few peripheral ports, USB2 and 3 etc.
May be it's a Samplitude thing. I should may be contact them.
Attachments
Image1a.jpg
Image1a.jpg (63.22 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
R
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Samplitude will see all MIDI ports no matter if you use MIDI-ox or not.

But I use a korg NanoKontrol (USB) as a small live mixer for Scope, which is why I use MIDI-ox as well as a PadKontrol for playing/programming drums running USB directly into Samplitude with no conflicts.

Greg
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

oh sorry, if the LPD8 doesn't have midi out sure you need to use the virtual midi driver.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

@djmicron: The LPD8 is a USB only device. It shows up as LPD8 IN and OUT in the Sam MIDI settings. Does that need MIDI-OX?
@siriusbliss: May be if I'd bought a combined keyboard and pads unit I wouldn't have this problem. However I'm not looking to perform live or such. The only reason I bought it was to do some real time drum tracking and a little mixer automation. So it's not the end of the world, as it does actually work, just not seemlessly with the XITE MIDI ports and Sam. Also I'm new to MIDI programming and have a lot of experimenting to do. It could be that I have overlooked something.........!
And your other question: 'Does Samplitude see your LP USB input without Scope running?' Yes it does.

Sirius wrote: 'But I use a korg NanoKontrol (USB) as a small live mixer for Scope, which is why I use MIDI-ox as well as a PadKontrol for playing/programming drums running USB directly into Samplitude with no conflicts.'
Yes , theres's no problem using MIDI in Scope from the MIDI keyboard. That's solid.

Thanx to everyone for answering.
R
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

@djmicron: The LPD8 is a USB only device. It shows up as LPD8 IN and OUT in the Sam MIDI settings. Does that need MIDI-OX?
it depends on what you need to accomplish.

If you use it always in samplitude, then the midi loopback software is not necessary, but if you want the akai to control something inside scope without using samplitude it can be useful.

In short, inside samplitude, you select the usb akai as midi input device and it should work.

If it doesn't there must be something wrong, maybe the samplitude midi setup?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

DJ is correct.

Samplitude should see the USB device directly, so just make sure you set up Samplitudes MIDI input device to the LPD.

You would ONLY need MIDIox if you later decide to trigger Scope devices from USB instruments.

Greg