New mobo - LGA 1155 chipsets Z77 ok?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

ACIDkNiGhT

New mobo - LGA 1155 chipsets Z77 ok?

Post by ACIDkNiGhT »

I haven't seen any reports as of lately about the new i7 motherboards with LGA 1155 chipsets.
Can they efficiently be used with 3 Scope pci cards? Is there a native PCI support?
Seems like there were problems with pci slots in 1155 mobos, is the problem solved in newer cards?
Can anybody shed some light?

I'm looking to upgrade my system again and 1156 chipset mobos are impossible to find.
garyb

Re: New mobo - LGA 1155 chipsets Z77 ok?

Post by garyb »

1156 motherboards are not impossible to find, but you might not find a new one. heck, your Scope cards are used....

an 1155 motherboard MIGHT work for you. up until now, they have offered terrible pci performance.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I haven't tried these out, but from what I am reading, legacy lovers are quite pleased with this board, just don;t know of any Scopers using it yet.
Z77%20Pro4(m).jpg
ACIDkNiGhT

Post by ACIDkNiGhT »

@ garryb : Sure, I can find one second hand, but I'm getting a new computer, with warranty. To last me at least 4 years without problems.
Yes, my card are very well used :D but still as good as new.

@dawman : Thanks man. Who makes those motherboards? Can't figure out from photo.

I may have to be the first to test this motherboard with pci cards. Hope the store will take em back if all fails.
Last edited by ACIDkNiGhT on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4/

Sorry..
Z77 on the Asus boards with the GPU on die is working great.
But no DSP cards from anywhere, so you are the pioneer.......
Dream22

Post by Dream22 »

I haven't seen any DAWs built on B75 chipsets yet, but I think I'm going to try it. I really like the fact that this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131835
supports 3 native PCI slots. I'll probably pull the trigger on this tomorrow, so if anyone has B75 experience please advise!
Eric
Dream22 Recording
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote:http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4/

Sorry..
Z77 on the Asus boards with the GPU on die is working great.
I´m thinking about computer upgrade for XITE-1 only and came across:

ASUS P8Z77-V LX socket 1155 /FSB 1333 for an Intel Core i7-3770K

Would that be a great combo ?

I´m not sure about RAM and the PSU too, but found something to discuss:

Corsair XMS CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 (8GB Kit / 2x4GB),- but there´s also:
GEIL 16GB GEIL EVO TWO QUAD CHANNEL (GET316GB1333C7QC) or
Geil GET316GB1333C9QC

The mobo´s QVL doesn´t show that RAM in these kit configurations though.

I don´t have any experience building PCs since the Pentium 4 series,- only old machines (dual core max.) here, so any comments are welcome.

PSU: SEASONIC X-Series X-560 F3 (SS-560KM) or Corsair TX 650M ?

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

the motherboard combo should be ok.

as to ram, it's not that critical. if you have a good quality ram manufacturer and the model is said to work on that maker's configurator, then everything should be great. i've often used corsair, it's one of my first choices, but i'd use the other brands without worrying. you do NOT need the top quality "gamer" ram. just the regular model from a reputable maker is great. just adding heat sinks to the sticks won't really make that much difference to the audio apps.

both power supplies are also good. generally, i'd go for more power when choosing between two quality products.

it's always possible to get a defective piece of hardware, but generally you have nothing to worry about if you are using regular good quality parts, and are avoiding bargain basement, no-name parts.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:the motherboard combo should be ok.

as to ram, it's not that critical. if you have a good quality ram manufacturer and the model is said to work on that maker's configurator, then everything should be great. i've often used corsair, it's one of my first choices, but i'd use the other brands without worrying. you do NOT need the top quality "gamer" ram. just the regular model from a reputable maker is great. just adding heat sinks to the sticks won't really make that much difference to the audio apps.

both power supplies are also good. generally, i'd go for more power when choosing between two quality products.

it's always possible to get a defective piece of hardware, but generally you have nothing to worry about if you are using regular good quality parts, and are avoiding bargain basement, no-name parts.
Many thx for your comments, Gary !

I´m happy w/ the Corsair HX520 PSU I have for my dual core machine, but have read repeatedly, not all Corsair PSU are been manufactured by Seasonic but also another manufacturer and only these made by Seasonic are good.
That´s why I asked for the Seasonic for a new build.

As a last item, I´m now looking for a passive cooled graphics card (PCI express x16) w/ 2x DVI and needing 1 slot only at the back of the machine.
Any recommendation ?

thx

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

i like evga for cheap, good cards. don't spend more than 100euro. you can get a decent card from much less.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Things to consider: any new card will handle all the usual graphics with ease. Just get one with 2 GB onboard, and you'll be fine for a couple HD monitors. Also for something passively cooled, I'd avoid cards with the highest clock frequency. that almost always means more heat, and more trouble down the road. Last, going with standard drivers, instead of some cards that offer a utility that is always running, to tweak clock freq and such, is overkill and uses more system resources for no gain other than for gaming.