Another motherboard query

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

unaHm

Another motherboard query

Post by unaHm »

Dear all,

I've been reading on this forum that there are a number of queries related to newer motherboards and their PCI performance, given the phasing out of native controllers.

I've also noticed that AMD boards still use these much-needed native controllers, so I've been looking around for a board with as many PCI slots that I can find so that I can eventually fill them with Creamware/Sonic Core cards :)

This board (the ASUS M5A78L LE) seems to be appropriate, but before I make any decisions I thought I'd check with the people who know!

Thanks for your help!

Kind Regards,

unaHm
garyb

Re: Another motherboard query

Post by garyb »

i don't know that that particular board was tested, but all of the users who have reported trying the newer AMD boards have given excellent reviews....
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

Thanks for the response Gary! From what I understand, you're the person to ask when it comes to compatibility and performance!

I suppose this board could be rather new, hence why it's possibly not been tried yet. I'll see if I can get one, and a CPU soon, and in that case I'll be sure to post a review.

Between the board and the cards, is there any definitive way that people test these aspects? There are probably programs out there that can monitor/log PCI bus usage, but I've not used any to date.

Kind Regards,

unaHm
garyb

Post by garyb »

masterverb test. there's even a thread for it here in tech talk.... :)

empty project, or with a mixer and basic i/o (to prove that they work) put masterverbs into the project until you get a pci overflow message.

if you have a pulsar1 period card, anything over 4 masterverbs is pretty good. with pulsar2 or later cards, at least 8. 10-13 would be working pretty well. there have been reports of 18, but i wouldn't feel bad to have less than that. be sure to test if the project is actually passing sound. sometimes an error message will be missed in the mayhem and you'll be happily loading masterverbs into a non-functional project. it's nice to hear the roar of sound through all those reverbs. stress test for sure....
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

Thanks for pointing out that thread Gary! I'm not quite sure why I didn't see it before, but it's interesting to read through and see how the computer specs change over the years!

I've just received my PowerSampler package today, which I believe is the Luna card (although Scope 4.0 came with it too). It'll be a while before I can test it with the motherboard I've originally mentioned, but for now I have an ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 motherboard with one (!) PCI slot to play around with it this weekend :-)
garyb

Post by garyb »

one pci slot is pretty risky. one of the best ways to fix problms is to switch slots. :lol:

the masterverb test isn't so critical with only 3 dsps. :wink:

there's no difference between a PowerSampler and Luna card, just fyi....there was a difference back when Creamware was around, but it was only the software package. these days, it's one package to rule them all...

still, let us know how it goes, and i hope you have lots of fun. :)
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

I agree - when I bought that motherboard I mustn't have been in my right mind :) From what I remember I was limited to what my budget and local outlet had, so hopefully that's a route I only take once!

I'm very please with how just this 3DSP card is working! I have a couple of other cards on their way, so I'm looking forward to making some large XTC-based projects! The integration with Reaper and Renoise is fantastic! I was trying to do EXACTLY THIS with a SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS and the DSP-Programmable kXProject drivers, but it never really worked (poor timing and routing issues). Plus, I make use of SoundFonts and samples, and the VSTi plugins I've been using weren't happy running more than a couple of instances.

Being able to leave those applications to the hardware, and anything 'weird or whacky' to the software and the CPU whilst everything is seamlessly connected and in sync has completed my workflow :)
Polarity

Post by Polarity »

unaHm wrote:Dear all,
I've also noticed that AMD boards still use these much-needed native controllers, so I've been looking around for a board with as many PCI slots that I can find so that I can eventually fill them with Creamware/Sonic Core cards :)

This board (the ASUS M5A78L LE) seems to be appropriate, but before I make any decisions I thought I'd check with the people who know!
Have you got that mainboard then? (or another AMD3+ model?)
I'm beginning looking into AMD CPU and boards for a new SCOPE system instead of PCI problematic Intel 1155 socket boards...

Thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

or just get an older 1156 motherboard and processor. you won't lose anything significant by using the earlier gen, you won't get even one track of audio more by using the newer gen.
Polarity

Post by Polarity »

because I don't find anymore (or have difficulties) those motherboards and compatible CPUs here in Italy where I usually buy (and trust) PC components.

And having already two SATA3 6Gb hard disks, perhaps I could use them better with new mobos that have SATA3 controllers.